Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Placement of a G5RV Antenna  (Read 1092 times)
KT4DLB

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:36:44 AM »

I have a G5RV Jr. antenna that I'm going to put. It is suppose to cover 40 thru 6 meters. According to the instructions that came with it I can hang it at a minimun of 16 foot. It's 51 foot long and comes with 15 1/2 foot of ladder line. The instructions says to run at least 70 foot of coax to antenna tuner and you don't need a balum. I'm planning of hanging it with the center at 30 foot and the ends at 20 foot. Will I be alright with this height? Can't get any higher than that. Second, can or should I add a 4:1 balum or 1:1 balum to where I don't have to run 70 foot of coax when I could get by with about 30 foot to the shack entry point. Any help and information will be greatly appreicated.

73's

Lamar
KK4NZO
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:05:28 AM »

The height you propose will be just fine. A 1:1 current balun would be good and any length of coax will suffice. You may need an antenna tuner to operate on some bands.
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »

Height is good. You will need a decent antenna tuner.  Balun is not normally used with the G5RV if you plan to use it full range.
Regards,
Dick KH2G
KB6HRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »

G5RV antenna are forgiving antennas, but most HAMs use a tuner with them, mainly because they can work many bands an each band presents a little different set of values to the G5RV, a antenna tuner makes a simple solution to present a good SWR at the radio. The higher you put your antenna the more signal and noise you will pull in, so I alway put my antennas high enough so they can see the horizon and are in the clear as much as I can not alway possible but are easy to work on if I have to by my self and have a wind load I can live with an being as clear from other antennas so there not much if any antenna interaction.
A G5RV will be down some from a dipole cut for a single band except on 20m were it was designed to play, I myself think the G5RV is a great compromise antenna 75m- 20m on HF, because it bring in a little less noise than the dipole cut for those band an unless you have a FT5000 or ICOM 7800 or the big Kenwood that have 40db intercept point you are going to bringing in more band noise. Tuned my G5RV for low SWR on 75m where I talk most every day, have a 1.3 SWR on 3945.oo but again at a price of higher SWR on 40m..............73s............kb6hrt
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 06:33:29 AM »

Well I ended up mounting the G5RV at 20' horizonatal and I have been able to work Italy on 20 meters, Washington on 10 meters and South Carolina on 40 meters. I'm able to tune the SWR down on 80 thru 10 meters. Thanks for all the info.

73's

Lamar
KK4NZO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: