Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SW Portable receivers  (Read 9653 times)
KC0ZOS

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2012, 06:24:08 PM »

Looking to purchase a portable receiver to use when away from home.
I want to use one to listen to AM/FM/SW/LW/SSB. Id like it to have a easy to read digital display, and only want to pay $100 to $200 for one.
Looking at the low end of the price scale, the Eton Grundig G3 Globe Traveler looks interesting. I also heard mention of the Sony ICFW 7000 600 GR being a good unit, but with a small display.
Any other receivers out their I should consider in this price range?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 07:54:22 PM »

I've had a SONY ICF-7600G since the late 90's that has never given a hint of trouble and IMHO works better than it should...

It's an older set that seems a bit dated in the memory setup, and there have been reports of some QC lapses involving poor factory alignment, but it does reasonably well on SSB and the synchronous detector is a useful tool. As for sound quality, it's good for the size and I can listen to the radio for extended periods without complaint. If the current rev is as good as the original it's worth your consideration.

Never change a password on a Friday                
K0SBV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 08:20:21 AM »

I have used a Grundig YachtBoy YB400PE for years and it has met all my expectations,  I believe it covers your needs and budget.
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:15:09 AM »

I can't speak to the current Eton / Grundig line, but...

I've an Eton E5 (identical to the Grundig G5, except for body color) and like it quite a bit.  It's got good reception from the whip, and pretty good sound, especially considering the small speaker radios in this class have.  The FM tuner section especially is quite good.  It's the one I take with me while traveling;

The E5 / G5 is no longer made, being replaced by the G3; some updates to it, but from all reports I've heard / read it's a good radio

Another good one is its "predecessor" the Kaito / Degen 1103 (the E5 / G5 is actually made by them and branded Eton / Grundig). The 1103 has some non-standard ergonomics, but for the price is a great radio - I use mine for backup & as a "loaner" to friends who express interest in shortwave.

They are both the same size - about that of a paperback book.  Easy to pack, they take 4 AA batteries and get pretty good life from them; they also have rudimentary charger circuitry in them to charge NiMH batteries (which come with them) - it's a slow charge, and the user must manually set the charging time.

One nice thing about both of these models is a "line-out" jack, which is quite useful; hook it up to an outboard stereo amp & speakers, external audio filters, or run it through a computer sound card to play with weather fax, digital modes, etc.

With both models, though you have to be careful regarding static electricity getting to the antenna & wiping out the first FET; this isn't unique to these radios, however, as this is true for a lot of portable SW receivers (even the great Sony ICF-2010 had this problem in its early version).
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »

The Tecsun PL-660 portable receiver may suit your needs. This offers good value for money and is extremely sensitive on your bands of interest.
Best of luck! Wink

Kind Regards

Fred EI4GMB
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:01:49 AM by EI4GMB » Logged

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
RADI0HEAD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 04:16:59 PM »

Another vote for the Grundig G5 or G3.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:23:09 PM by RADI0HEAD » Logged