Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton Hamvention -- the best show on Earth  (Read 18959 times)
KD8IWZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 07:55:51 AM »

The report did not say how many year(s) are involved with the back taxes. And yes, Hara holds several events throughout the year, I would say at least a dozen
K5WCF

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 08:37:31 AM »

From what I see hamvention is a great and wonderful thing, despite the complaints, the venue,and the overall distance. I honestly don't see why other areas of the U.S. can't seem to get together and produce something comparable in size and overall spectacle. Here in Texas for instance, everyone speaks of Belton like others do of Dayton, however I chose to go to Plano for Hamcom, and then there are other hamfests through out the state and into Oklahoma. I say why not get together for one large multi state ham fest. Could you image between all the major cities that could be involve and the ecomony here in Texas is still in pretty good shape, plenty of radio clubs large and small to help with all that is needed to pull something like this off. Plus this way I wouldn't have to spend my spring and summer running all over the states of Texas and Oklahoma to make sure I didn't miss anything. Not that I do but I am sure others do. We have always done things bigger and better here in Texas so why not the same with hamvention. I would challenge the organizers of the many different ham related conventions and the like across this state to consider trying to put something like this together. I for one would love to attend.

Just my opinion on the subject,

William K5WCF
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 09:30:04 AM »

I honestly don't see why other areas of the U.S. can't seem to get together and produce something comparable in size and overall spectacle. ..... We have always done things bigger and better here in Texas so why not the same with hamvention.......
Just my opinion on the subject,

William K5WCF

This has been bantered about here many times.  The bottom line is simple numbers.....the location needs to be reasonably accessible to the largest numbers of people, and that puts the Ohio Valley in the bullseye.  A Texas venue would involve air travel for most people, even a lot of Texans. 
K5WCF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 02:01:13 PM »

My idea is not to replace Dayton, as much as it sound like we should, but simply to offer another equally large option for the non East Coast residents. As large as our country is we need to consider more regional options. I know Texas is large but we don't just fly from town to town around here, we drive from place to place. You cannot actually tell me that Dayton equates to a centralized location for the entire ConUS. Those who want to make said prilgramidge yearly to Dayton feel free to do so, but for the rest of us something comparable and a little closer to home would be nice and lets not just limit this to the east or west coast alot of us live in the middle somewhere.

Again just my opinion on the subject,

William K5WCF
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 03:37:32 PM »

It used to be Manchaca.  Then it was Belton.  Now Belton is a mere shadow of its former self.  Be there at sun up and head home just before lunch.  No big dealers.  A few good deals.  Lots of stuff that should have been recycled years ago.  At least they are having a dog show on the other side of the building now and not a rodeo so the dust level is somewhat below west Texas sandstorm levels.
N3WD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 04:45:24 PM »

It is very plain and simple. If you cannot get all the Manufacturers, Dealers, ARRL etc to attend you have NOTHING. You could have the best facilities in the world in the best location in the world but until ALL the vendors who make Dayton, Dayton you have notta.

Bill, N3WD
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 05:25:06 PM »

You cannot actually tell me that Dayton equates to a centralized location for the entire ConUS.

William K5WCF

Again, it's about numbers of people, not centralized geography.  The area where Dayton sits absolutely is "centralized" for the majority of the population of the country.  Major transportation systems are located in the region for that very reason.  Believe what you want.

No argument against regional hamfests....I think it's a great idea.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 06:08:44 PM »

You could have the best facilities in the world in the best location in the world but until ALL the vendors who make Dayton, Dayton you have notta.

Well "Dayton" is having trouble holding vendors because last few years I see more and more empty spaces and indoor floor plan shuffles to hide some of the losses too.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K5WCF

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 08:58:06 AM »

Point taken but even the transportation systems and manufacturing distribution centers in the area realize the need to regionalize things, so why doesn't the ham community and the ARRL and vendors involved.

Thanks for the discussion,
William K5WCF
You cannot actually tell me that Dayton equates to a centralized location for the entire ConUS.

William K5WCF

Again, it's about numbers of people, not centralized geography.  The area where Dayton sits absolutely is "centralized" for the majority of the population of the country.  Major transportation systems are located in the region for that very reason.  Believe what you want.

No argument against regional hamfests....I think it's a great idea.
K5WCF

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 09:07:57 AM »

It is very plain and simple. If you cannot get all the Manufacturers, Dealers, ARRL etc to attend you have NOTHING. You could have the best facilities in the world in the best location in the world but until ALL the vendors who make Dayton, Dayton you have notta.

Bill, N3WD

I agree with you on this point, luckily Hamcom in Plano Texas has all of these, yet is still small and overshadowed by Belton and some others(old habit die hard I guess), and certainly not as renowned ar Dayton. So how much better could it be if they were to combine their efforts into a larger Texas or multi-state Hamcom, and the big wheels that show up for Dayton would take the time to show up for something like this?

Just hoping something would change for the better,

William K5WCF
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 07:16:21 PM »

Lots of guys also belong to the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association), which is similar to the ARRL in many respects, although it doesn't have the numbers of ham radio/ARRL.  Anyway, they do have regional fly-ins throughout the warm months, and the yearly Dayton equivalent is Oshkosh, and it's huge.  Those regional fly-ins are quite successful.....big, although not "Oshkosh big", and very well run. 

The parallels are definitely there, and I couldn't agree more that ham radio would flourish if the concept was given a chance in some coordinated way. 

N8DV

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 06:24:10 AM »

I went, I saw and I spent on some fleas. Not impressed with this year's turnout but hey, it's Dayton.
How about shortening the hamfest to two days? Friday and Saturday. Sunday, they flea market is practically
empty. Sunday would be a good travel home day. Oh well, see you in 2013.

KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »

Regarding the centralized location of Dayton....  I lived in the Dayton area for most of the years between 1966 and 1983.  In around 1980, a large advertising campaign took place showing that Dayton was the #1 City in the country when it came to measuring "90 Minute Markets".  I am sure someone will try to correct me on this, but this meant that more population of the U.S. was within a 90 minute air flight (radius) of Dayton than any other city in the country.  

Sounds hard to believe, but put a compass on Dayton and measure out how far a commercial jet can fly in 90 minutes from Dayton.  Draw a circle.  All your major East Coast Cities are within that ring, plus all Midwest and most of the South as well.  This claim was made in the 1980's...I recognize that it may not be valid today.

And yes, I agree Hara Arena has seen much better days, but there just isn't anywhere else in the Dayton area that could handle a show like the Hamvention.  And remember too, the DAYTON Amateur Radio Association, Not the ARRL, is behind the organization of this show.  

For more info on 90-minute markets, read this:

http://www.daytontechtown.com/Location/Crossroads
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:05:19 AM by KR4BD » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 12:27:17 PM »

And yes, I agree Hara Arena has seen much better days, but there just isn't anywhere else in the Dayton area that could handle a show like the Hamvention.

Actually one possible very good solution is move it to third week of June and they could lease/rent some of the facilities at some area universities or large schools. The Air Show buildings would handle it easily but i is near Airport and FAA kinda freaks though.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 04:19:37 PM »

And yes, I agree Hara Arena has seen much better days, but there just isn't anywhere else in the Dayton area that could handle a show like the Hamvention.

Actually one possible very good solution is move it to third week of June and they could lease/rent some of the facilities at some area universities or large schools. The Air Show buildings would handle it easily but i is near Airport and FAA kinda freaks though.

This won't work.  The airshow site is 10 miles or more from BOTH of the major Universities in Dayton.  Transportation logistics would be massively expensive to link up the sites.  Hara Arena at least allows most everything to happen at one site and parking is fairly close, too.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: