Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: directions confusing.  (Read 2359 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »

Hello,

I'm trying to install a RS232-card into my HP Pavilion p6-2021 desktop; OS is Win7-64 bit Home Premium.

I don't understand one line of directions.
This link will show the directions. http://www.sybausa.com/resource/SY-PEX15032/SY-PEX15032_Manual.pdf.
My problem is under the heading "Hardware Installation"; step #5 "Attach your internal devices to the PCI-E Serial Card."
My confusion is:
I don't have any "internal devices" that I know about.
If anybody knows what that means, I'd appreciate some input.
I do have an external device...a Yaesu FT-950...but I did not connect that to the card; after all, it is external.
So I skipped over that step #5.
Anyway, my system reports the driver is not loaded even though I have tried to load it first from the disk that came with the card or then from the Internet.
Also, in the instructions for "Driver Installation", the system never displayed a "Found New Hardware Wizard"; so I tried to work in the Control Panel.

This is the third card I've tried; each one from a different manufacturer and source.
The first two hung my computer; one at the very first screen; the 2nd one (by StarTech) just made it past that first screen.

Yesterday, I found out about a company SIIG that makes a card I need; I suspect I'll be returning these three cards and then call SIIG.
73 Jerry KM3K
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 09:57:44 AM »

Did you install the device drivers first or the card.  You need to install the device drivers first then put in the card.  That way when you fire up the computer, it will find the drivers for it on it's own.  I curious as to why you need this card. Are you trying to get a DB-9 connection on the computer? If so, for what pupose... rig control...etc. ? 

de Rick wn2c
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »

Did you install the device drivers first or the card.  You need to install the device drivers first then put in the card.  That way when you fire up the computer, it will find the drivers for it on its own. 
de Rick wn2c
I followed the directions, which called for installing the card, then the driver.

I curious as to why you need this card. Are you trying to get a DB-9 connection on the computer? If so, for what pupose... rig control...etc. ? 
de Rick wn2c
I've had it with getting USB-to-RS232-adapters; long story there with Dell-laptop running Vista and my new HP-desktop running Win7-64bit.
With the Dell-laptop, the Radio-Shack works my AIM-4170 and the Keyspan won't; the Keyspan works my FT-950 and the Radio-Shack won't.
With the HP-desktop, neither one works; BTW, the latest drivers are installed for each adapter.

Tomorrow, I'm packing up the three RS232-cards to send back to the respective buyers and then ordering a SIIG card.
73 Jerry KM3K
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »

Since you tried to install the driver from the control panel, you'll probably have to first uninstall it from the control panel. Normally you cancel the found new hardware and then run the supplied driver installation program.

Normally, in WindowsXP you install the card first and then the driver. In Win7 and Vista you install the driver first and then the card.

By "internal devices" they probably mean any serial device or connector that you want to connect to the second serial port in lieu of the supplied connector. In your case there is nothing to connect.
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »

Since you tried to install the driver from the control panel,......
Please let me clarify....
I used the control-panel to see if the installed card was there via "view devices and printers" or to remove a driver.

Below I've written a summary of my procedures but the bottom-line is this:
I think the drivers are not getting to the correct place expected by my Windows7-64bit.
Apparently, based on this link "http://www.msigeek.com/322/driver-store-in-windows-7-and-vista", drivers go to a new storage-area for future call-up.
The path is "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore".
This link "http://www.articleinput.com/e/a/title/Where-does-Windows-7-store-drivers-for-devices/" claims there is a 32-bit driver store.
Its path is "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DriverStore".
I read a link that was supposed to explain why this second place is needed but it is still a mystery to me, so I have to work on that topic.

After installing a driver, I checked the first storage mentioned above and, if my checking is right, I see no changes.
Instead, I find the drivers in this path"C:\program files\MosChip\....".
Now, admittedly, I know little about drivers but I presume it is the responsibility of the driver's coding to set up the proper path and not Windows' responsibility.
Perhaps a "driver expert" could comment about that aspect.

As I wrote before, the three cards are going back to the respective vendors and I'm ordering a SIIG-card.

The remainder of this posting is only for anyone interested in a "boring" summary of what I did:
For card#1 (from ebay and Hong Kong), its directions call first for installing the driver, then the hardware.
For card#2 (StarTech PEX2S553LP), directions have first hardware, then driver.
For card#3 (from Newegg and IOCrest PCIe-SIE9835), directions have first hardware, then driver.

For card#1, I attempted to follow the directions faithfully even though there are discrepancies between the text and what came on the screen.
Problem #1: a file-name "PCIesetup.exe" was supposed to show-up but the only '.exe' file there was "StnSetup.exe", so I used it.
It did something; I found this path "C:\Program Files\MosChip\" had one folder (with three files in it) and 6 files.
I installed the hardware and turned on the system.
Problem #2: The computer hung up on the HP-screen (I expect this as the first screen to show up on power-up); 'cont-alt-del' did not work; I had to do the "ten second depress the power-button" routine to regain control of the computer.
I uninstalled the software using Microsoft's Control-Panel.

For card#2 , directions here first has card installed, then software.
Problem #1: on power-up, I saw the HP-screen and then it hung-up with a blinking-cursor on a blank-screen; the expected "Found New Hardware Wizard" was a no-show; 'cont-alt-del' was ineffective and I resorted to the ten second power-button routine.
Problem #2: I thought I'd try to load the driver but the supplied disk had a myriad of files and the directions never called out what the file should be used.
By inspecting the pcb-assemblies, I saw that both card #1 and #2 used MosChip; 9904 for card#1 and 9922 for card#2, so the same driver would be used for each one. So now, I ignored the directions and loaded the driver but it still hung up.

For card#3, it got farther along than the other two but it could not find its driver; nor manually could I find any '.exe' file for it.
Additionally, from a google-search, apparently people are finding that its AMD1083 chip has timing problems.

Hopefully, the SIIG card will work.
73 Jerry KM3K

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:09:04 PM by KM3K » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: