Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The single most vital piece of advice I can give to those wanting to learn CW  (Read 23931 times)
W5CYF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »

For what it’s worth the statement about not comparing your learning curve to others is excellent advice.  When I started, I wanted to learn CW so badly that I was sure that within a few weeks I would become fairly proficient…after all that what I that some others had done.

When I realized I was not in a race to learn CW the pressure was off and the fun began.  Now CW is by far my favorite mode.  I'm slow but am on the air about every night and meeting some mighty fine folks.

The advice about putting the mic in the drawer is on target.  In fact if I had to find my mic within 5 minutes, I’d not be able to do so.  I think it’s in a box on the shelf somewhere in the shack!

I actually put my thoughts about learning CW in a YouTube video that you may find encouraging.  Take a look here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h8nZAqBYBQ

Hope to catch you on the air; CW of course.

John/W5CYF
K5JYD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 07:58:08 AM »

na7u is right , put the mike in the garage or attic and forget abt voice and just become a cw op . Thats how it was when I got my novice, cw only and it worked.I learned it and still use it 99% 0f the time. You will love it.
k5jyd
AB2CF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 10:47:23 PM »

This is a couple "single most vital' pieces of advice.
I translated everything i saw into dits and dahs.  Street and business signs, license plates, names, car models, headlines, household items, whatever was in front of me  became code.  Get your brain to think in CW.  It helped

If you know code and are slow, get on the air. Most ops will slow down.  Just ask them to QRS.  Find a CW op at your local club.  Set up a sked. 

One mistake i made was transcribing for too long.  Once i got to 25wpm I couldn't write much faster.  Now I am working on head copy. Not up to the 25 yet but it frees me up. The brain is faster than the pen.  If writing works do it.  But don't not learn to copy in the head (even if it's slower).

Most importantly, Stick with it. 

K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 11:41:14 AM »

I would only add one thing to N2EY's steps.  Practice decoding your own "fist".  Record your own sending.  Play it back.  Decode what you send.  I would rather copy someone at 3 WPM cleanly than 20 WPM badly sent.  If you can copy tapes and CW from the computer but not your own recorded CW, you have to work on sending.

I find that I need to do this from time to time just to clean-it-up.  Don't forget sending.

73, JP, K8AG
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 11:07:02 AM »

Hello,

My K1 doesn't have a microphone!

I guess I'm off to a good start.

That said, I am struggling with the Koch method.. Four letters in a week, at 10wpm (20wpm characters).. Any faster and I lag behind.. Very frustrating, but I am persisting. Not thinking of dits and dahs either.. It's going to take a while...!

Gil.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 08:53:21 AM »

For those hams who want to use CW as a communications mode, I'd recommend learning Morse code. 

One does not "learn CW"; CW and Morse code are not interchangeable terms.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
VK2FAK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 11:53:41 PM »

HI all......

I now know its true....someone on this forum made a quote......something like,  you want it on the tombstone that you enjoyed many years of operating Morse......not, he would have enjoyed many years of operating Morse but never managed to get on air.....

Had myself a Heart attack on Friday morning......was in Hospital by 9am, had the blockage removed by about 2am......spent a nice few days eating Custard cups, mixed fruits cup, reasonable meals....and watching some New release movies.......and just as a Tip, don't always expect a strong pain in the chest or arm.....mine was focused in the Tummy, and was not a very strong pain.....

So the quote....is simple and true....when you get to a reasonable standard....just do it, even it you have to make a few trips to the bathroom first...

John
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 04:45:10 AM »

Good on Ya John for pulling through.  I hope the hospital food wasn't too rough. You didn't mention what sort of radio you smuggled into hospital ?!?    Shocked

Your recent experience just brings it into focus:  Life is to be lived.  Whether it's Morse, ballrom dancing, hiking, kayaking or just tossing a frizbee int he local park with the dog - like the Nyke adverts say: "Just Do It!". I think of all the tall mountains, pristine deserts and the small bit of ocean I've tapped code from and even running clandestine in the occasional city apartment & it's all good memory , especially now as my own body is beginning to complain a bit more strenuously about years of abuse! ha ha

"See" you on the radio,

de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._
VK3GDM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 07:26:46 PM »

Removing the mic is a great idea!
I did that four years ago, and haven't got around to re-attaching it yet!
I've been having too much fun on CW.

David
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 02:41:04 PM »

Made my first QSO in a while on SSB last night, as I am having so much fun on CW. It was with a freind though, and good to hear his voice.

Glad to hear you pulled through your heart attack mate! Its not always as depicted, as you say..

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »

That said, I am struggling with the Koch method.. Four letters in a week, at 10wpm (20wpm characters).. Any faster and I lag behind.. Very frustrating, but I am persisting. Not thinking of dits and dahs either.. It's going to take a while...!

Gil.

I'm going slower than that, so don't feel bad  Tongue Going to try to get a solid hour in tonight.
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »

If you can sustain 4 new characters a week then you'll get through the Koch set before summer's over.

(I'm doing well if I can learn one new character a month.)
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 04:42:47 PM »

'...learn four letters...'

I hope that this wil not lead to the use of only FOUR LETTER WORDS.......  Roll Eyes

aActually, on second thought, if we wanted that, we could just tune to the 80m SSB band here in the USA.   

seriously though, if your experience is like mine, you'll find a tipping-point where it begins to flow.  For me, that was when 'copy' changed from getting a few letters to receiving words then sentances made from the letters that I knew and a few that I did not.   Once that began, then my mind REALLY worked at getting those unknown letters and seemed to use what I already knew automatically - with the occasional Oooops  Huh

Press-On!  It's worth it!

73 de Ray
W7ASA   ..._ ._

PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 06:01:02 AM »

If you can sustain 4 new characters a week then you'll get through the Koch set before summer's over.

(I'm doing well if I can learn one new character a month.)

That is just what I thought. Probably in the start of the course you go faster, lesson 1 two characters, that's fast, but at the end slower. However when you take half a year, the average progress is nearly 2 characters a week at the average.

You are the guy cut of the right wood, I am sure you will make it. Try to exercise words as I said in the other thread, copy by head, with the subset you master.

KB2HUK

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 03:49:36 PM »

the post by N2EY listed this book  "The Art And Skill of Radiotelegraphy" and he is right it is a terrific book I have read it a couple of times and I find it very entertaining and informative do your self a favor and read this book !  John kb2huk
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: