Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Autotuner on Kenwood TS-850S not working  (Read 4637 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2012, 04:03:01 AM »

Frustratingly, my main rig autotuner has decided not to work, even when a 50 ohm load is connected directly to the ant connector.

If I press 'autotune', I can hear the autotuner making an attempt to tune, but the SWR remains at infinity.  The PA stage is still putting out 100 watts on all bands.

Any ideas where I should start fault-finding?  I read that maybe the tuning cap needs a little lubrication.

Update - I opened the rig and watched the 2 tuning caps whilst pressing autotune.  They seem to be moving mechanically OK.

However, a (related?) fault that occurred at the same time as the autotune fault is that when I transmit on AM mode, the PA stage produces no carrier/output unless I speak into the mic, just as if it were in SSB mode.

Since I'm in Thailand (and Myanmar), repair of the rig really needs to be performed in-country if possible.

Simon

PS - The autotuner previously worked just fine
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 04:22:09 AM by HS0ZIB » Logged
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 06:54:18 AM »

This may be idiotic , but you DO have the Carrier and Power controls clockwise right? I do not think it will tune if they are counter clockwise. You have to have carrier for the tuner.
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:17:55 PM »

Doh, power was clockwise and carrier was somewhat anticlockwise - the control must have got knocked during transit.  Now all tunes fine and I'm happy that the fault lies with me and not the rig...

Simon
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »

Yep , its the simple things in life that are sweet...
OE3JTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 01:21:50 PM »

Hi
and what if power and CAR is turned on fully clockwise and the fault is always there?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: