Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE SLOW DEATH OF HAM RADIO FLEA MARKETS...  (Read 60640 times)
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2012, 05:49:19 PM »

I saw for sale:  GI Joe toys, flashing lights, bowling balls, old stereo equipment, new stereo equipment, a package of tube socks, 1,247,612 beat up computer speakers, 8 track tapes, some floor jacks, a carburetor, a monopoly game, used clothing, several hundred baseball caps, a dusty 706MKIIG without a microphone or power cable for $750.00(firm), some guys ford, a girl's bicycle and more microphones that looked like they had been fished out of a grease pit than you could shake a stick at.

Check out this thread for some even more bizarre examples: www.eham.net/articles/5599
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2012, 05:18:26 PM »

The Belton, Texas hamfest today had a lot of interesting stuff. And some of
it even had something in common with Amateur Radio!  Grin
  Seriously, there was very little there that was not Amateur related. Given
the high price of fuel and reports of impending bad weather, there was quite
a turn out today. Found some things I wanted at a good price and a few things
that were a bit high priced. (in my opinion) But, overall, I think it was a great
hamfest. Belton's hamfest is twice a year. And I try to go to it and HAMCOMM
in Plano, Tx each year. One of these days, before I croak, I hope to make it
to Dayton. I have driven by it many times over the last 40 years. (when I was
a long haul truck driver, now I'm a local driver...........and love it)
I just never had the time or opportunity to go. I am saving up this year to go
next year!!
Hamfests are not dying out in this area. There are others, around that when
I do get the chance, I go to those as well. Just the three I mentioned are the
"must go's" that I tell my boss I have to do.
james
WD5GWY
W0CKI

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2012, 07:54:38 PM »

They ought to die, same old junk every year. Overpriced and brought back year after year. Shocked
73 to all, Gary, WOCKI
AD5TD

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2012, 06:57:36 PM »

I just got back from the Belton Tx Ham Expo, last weekend and it was better attended than in the past.  I don't think they are dead yet but they are on the way out. 

Yes, fleabay and others have ruined the haggling ability and that just sux.  You offer a price and they just say, "well the last one sold on fleabay for $SSS.  We that was some idiot that just has more money than sense.  It has ruined it .
AI7AZ

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2012, 01:06:12 PM »

An interesting topic!!

I've been licensed since '74, have always loved going to Hamfests and will continue to seek them out and go no matter what.  I go mainly for the eyeball QSOs and to browse around for a good deal on things small and useful.  That being said, there are two things about many Hamfests that annoy the living daylights out of me.  One, non-ham vendors.  If I want to buy crappy jewelry and plastic toys with flashing LEDs I'll go to the dollar store (and probably pay less).  Two, fellow hams who are asking ridiculous prices for broken-down junk.  You seriously think I'm going to pay hundreds of dollars for that TS-520 that looks like it was dredged up off the bottom of the river?  At a 'fest a few years ago, I saw a guy selling a used Yaesu handheld for quite a bit more than the new price.

Even so, I'll continue to go.  I've just learned to expect the non-ham vendors and the outrageously priced junk.  Between it all, there are plenty of good eyeball QSOs to make and some small diamonds in the rough to buy.

Steve, AI7AZ
Tucson, AZ

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2012, 12:23:42 AM »

Reminds me of a guy at the hamfest who had a old pair of shoes and rusty nails on his tables. He said to me "those shoes belonged too Art Collins and Collins used those nails on the shipping crates  for Collins equipment. He called them Collins Nails"  It was amazing watching the number of hams e who took him seriously! I asked him why he played this joke, he said everyone was looking  for the treasure of King Tut and wanted to get it for 5 dollars,  he just put ridiculous prices on the shoes and nails so that people  would  tell him  "thats too much for nails and shoes" can you do it for cheaper! He had $800 dollars on the shoes and 500 dollars on the box of rusty nails.

Anyway all the treasures at hamfests are gone....... and whats left is really junk.  I used to enjoy collecting collecting amp building parts, these days its cheaper really to  buy new stuff or a new amp. The unfortunate point is that  those who hams who own this stuff down really know how ridiculous their prices are,  and until they wake up  hamfests will not  be  a place to get reasonable priced goods. Since nobody is building stuff you might as well give all the electronic parts away for nothing or ask for a donation, it really is worthless. I worked for a electronics manufacturer who actually buried tons of surplus through hole parts under the foundation of their new plant. Nobody was interested in the stuff and I could not even be bothered carting the stuff to the hamfest because I could not even give it away for free, the game has changed!
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2012, 04:36:01 AM »

Things are constantly changing but then again, they stay the same too.  The basic thrill of making radio contacts and friends the world over would still excite some people if they only knew about it.
I think the Internet took away the novelty of talking to people around the world. I talk to my kids about this and the "you can talk to people all over the world!" and their response is, "meh! I can text, e-mail, video chat, talk over the cellphone, skype, etc. with anyone in the world already. What do I need some big-ol' ham radio for?" If they want to geek out over electronics, it's to buy the latest video game or graphics card or quad LCD monitor, etc. If they want to wire stuff up, they wire up a bunch of computers for a LAN party (to use with their new games and computers).

Ham radio has a lot more competition, these days.

Actually, it doesn't. Sure, they can text email, video chat, skype, etc...as long as a third party network is up and running. But none of those services allow them DIRECT communication to the other person or people without first going through that network or service.

When those go down or are switched off (like BART did in California, for example), ham radio keeps the communication going.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: