Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new DUC/DDC SunSDR2 transceiver  (Read 53477 times)
KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 02:16:06 PM »

We will actively start looking for distributors after the start of mass production.
We are planning to visit Exhibition in Friedrichshafen 22-24 June and demonstrate SunSDR2 transceiver. If you want to see it you are welcome.

Hopefully someone on here will be able to check it out this weekend.  Looks like a nice setup but until it's backed by a reputable distributor with a warranty, I'll hold off.  I don't do bank transfers to anyone.  Best of luck.  Would be nice to have more options in SDR.  I'll echo what others have said: Send a unit to QST.  If it gets positive reviews, you'll probably have a lot of orders.  Wink
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 03:30:16 AM »

Your still going to need a US and or European Distributor.  Grove here in the USmight be able to help you.  I suggest sending a unit to QST to be reviewed as well.

It's an interesting radio, so I think you might be able to make a go at selling it here in the US if it gets a favorable review and you have a US reseller like grove.

Best of luck!

As far as I know, the ARRL does not review items that you just send them.  If they want to do a review, they will purchase a rig themselves to get a real sample, not something that has been specially tuned up or tweaked for the review.

Also, they are going to have a hard road to travel in getting a US or European distributor to work with them because of lack of enforced laws in Russia that might offer some protection for the distributor.   A US or European distributor is not going to pay for their products with wire transfer either.

Gene
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:33:21 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 06:59:55 AM »

I am guessing if you want to sell in the US you will need to ship and then bill for the shipment verses getting payment prior to shipping.

It's unfortunate, however, I agree with Gene, you have a bit of a difficult path ahead.

PS, I hope your SDR has good RF shielding that can live in the average us household or hamshack.  This is a mistake other SDR manufactures seem to be making as well, failing to adequately shield from RFI getting into the radio.

KK4CPH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 07:46:38 PM »

So did anyone go to the show and check this out? 
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 02:42:40 AM »

Besides why would you want the ARRL to review your product when they dont have suitable benchmarks for SDR receivers? Using analog performance benchmarks on a SDR receiver does the receiver no justice. The ARRL
has screwed up every SDR receiver review that they have done because they dont really understand how these receivers should be evaluated. At the end of the day this just damages the  image and profile of SDR technology.
They really need to sit down with SM5BSZ or some other experts and discuss how they can evaluate this new generation of SDR receivers that reflects their real  performance to do these receiver real justice. They are just so much better than the best analog receivers if you understand how they perform.

Your still going to need a US and or European Distributor.  Grove here in the USmight be able to help you.  I suggest sending a unit to QST to be reviewed as well.

It's an interesting radio, so I think you might be able to make a go at selling it here in the US if it gets a favorable review and you have a US reseller like grove.

Best of luck!

As far as I know, the ARRL does not review items that you just send them.  If they want to do a review, they will purchase a rig themselves to get a real sample, not something that has been specially tuned up or tweaked for the review.

Also, they are going to have a hard road to travel in getting a US or European distributor to work with them because of lack of enforced laws in Russia that might offer some protection for the distributor.   A US or European distributor is not going to pay for their products with wire transfer either.

Gene

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 03:57:18 AM »

I have downloaded the ExpertSDR software used with Expert Electronics SunSDR2 transceiver that was shown at the Friedrichshafen, Germany Hamfest.   It appears that Expert Electronics is distributing the binary code only for their ExpertSDR software in violation of the software GPL.  ExpertSDR uses DttSP and FFTW code in their application as shown by the use of the files DttSP.dll and libfftw3f-3.dll which are distributed with their application.  Both DttSP and FFTW are GPL (not LGPL) open source applications which require the source code of the application to be made available if they distribute binary versions of their application.  Expert Electronics has not made the source code available to ExpertSDR.

You can verify this for yourself by downloading their software installer from
http://sunsdr.com/en/downloads/soft.html

The DttSP license terms can be found at https://www.cgran.org/wiki/DttSP

The FFTW license terms can be found at http://www.fftw.org/

Both are GPL.

So much for an honest company!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Gene
RN6LHF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »

To Gene, all be allright, thank you, it is not problem. I'm answered already about open source code is here: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,83848.0.html
We are just back from Friedrichshafen. The HAMRadio exibition was excelent, many-many people interested of SunSDR2 and our software. Soon I will share photo from exibition in yahoo-group.
Some distributors from different countries want to work with us. After start mass production we will work with them.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:10:46 AM by RN6LHF » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 12:09:27 PM »

To Gene, all be allright, thank you, it is not problem. I'm answered already about open source code is here: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,83848.0.html
We are just back from Friedrichshafen. The HAMRadio exibition was excelent, many-many people interested of SunSDR2 and our software. Soon I will share photo from exibition in yahoo-group.
Some distributors from different countries want to work with us. After start mass production we will work with them.

You'd better get compliant with the GPL, otherwise no distributor will want to deal with you because of legal liability when they find out about it.  There is no excuse for you distributing your "alpha" version of ExpertSDR without also making the source code available at the same time as per the GPL.  Saying that it is "alpha" code is no excuse.  I'd bet if you were not caught being in violation of the GPL, your company would never have released the source code, otherwise you would have released it much earlier.

The posting in your forum about your intention to release the source code was made today, surprise, surprise...   You company is already showing a pattern of dishonesty.

Gene
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:17:42 PM by KE5JPP » Logged
RN6LHF

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 02:04:42 AM »

Information in yahoo group was updated. Was added some photo and two documents from exhibition in Germany.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 06:26:46 PM »

Nice looking piece of gear
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 06:30:07 AM »

Accepting only wire transfers for payment sounds like the typical operation of the "Nigerian 419 scams". See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_scam.

"Scammers often request that payments be made using a wire transfer service like Western Union and Moneygram. The reason given by the scammer usually relates to the speed at which the payment can be received and processed, allowing quick release of the supposed payoff. The real reason is that wire transfers and similar methods of payment are irreversible, untraceable and, because identification beyond knowledge of the details of the transaction is often not required, completely anonymous."

Good luck getting your money back if Expert Electronics cannot deliver the product.

From the US Federal Trade Commission - http://ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/moneymatters/scam-watch-wiring-money.shtml

"Why do scammers insist that people use money transfers? Because it’s like sending cash: the scammers get the money quickly, and you can’t get it back. Typically, there’s no way to reverse a transfer or trace the money, and money wired to another country can be picked up at multiple locations, so it’s just about impossible to identify or track someone down."

Buyer Beware!

Gene

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:44:34 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 09:13:02 AM »

The rule of thumb when playing the international shopping game is that you shouldn't gamble more than you can afford to lose. That goes for any company, any country. If you can't afford to gamble $1300, then stay home. The U.S. used market is full of $1300 Big 3 turds and lemons, and for the price, you can get a brand spanking new IC-7000.

Vasily and crew desperately need to develop a relationship with some reputable UK or DE distributor with a proper payment arrangement. Til then, it will be a gamble.
RN6LHF

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »

The rule of thumb when playing the international shopping game is that you shouldn't gamble more than you can afford to lose. That goes for any company, any country. If you can't afford to gamble $1300, then stay home. The U.S. used market is full of $1300 Big 3 turds and lemons, and for the price, you can get a brand spanking new IC-7000.

Vasily and crew desperately need to develop a relationship with some reputable UK or DE distributor with a proper payment arrangement. Til then, it will be a gamble.
Thank you. We working on it. New European distributors start to sell our SunSDR2 after start mass production.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »

Thanks Vasily. Please let us know when mass production begins and keep us updated on the progress. Looking forward to your radio in my shack.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 03:47:31 AM »

The rule of thumb when playing the international shopping game is that you shouldn't gamble more than you can afford to lose.

You said it all here.  On this point we agree.  Dealing with a company like this will be a very risky gamble.

Gene
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: