Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Budget pistol grip PTT  (Read 5037 times)
W2RWJ

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2012, 05:32:52 AM »

We were installing microphone booms at the N2MO station for the HF operating positions and the subject of using handheld pistol grip PTT switches vs. the foot pedals came up. 

I was on the way home and stopped in the auto parts store and noticed the Actron CP7853 remote starter switch.   Instant PTT switch!

On the plus side it has screws holding the body together to add your own cord, and is less then 1/2 the cost of the equivalent Heil unit.

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ

KE5IUN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 06:03:28 AM »

Looks good! If you check it on Amazon.com it is $10.52 and is eligible for free shipping with an order of $25.00 or more.  Smiley
Bill, KE5IUN
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 08:36:18 AM »

As a starter switch there will be no locking function which sometimes can be desireable.
I prefer the foot switch as you got both of your hands free for writing, tuning or whatever.
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 04:17:49 PM »

As a starter switch there will be no locking function which sometimes can be desirable
Our setup will permit the operator to select between VOX, the pistol grip, and foot pedals.

BTW, thanks to an equipment loan, this is our first experience with boom mounted microphones. 
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 08:10:29 AM »

Just curious about this. You say "positions" so I presume you're setting up some kind of multi-op station. If that's the case, then I presume each op will be wearing headphones instead of using loudspeakers to copy the received signals. What made you decide to use boom microphones instead of a headset/mic combination?
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 02:19:42 PM »

Just curious about this. You say "positions" so I presume you're setting up some kind of multi-op station. If that's the case, then I presume each op will be wearing headphones instead of using loudspeakers to copy the received signals. What made you decide to use boom microphones instead of a headset/mic combination?

The N2MO station has seven operating positions.  We are still working out the kinks on antenna feeds, amplifiers and switching (including the speaker/headphones)

Anyway, here's a photo of the tech and HF positions at N2MO  The QRP position and other QRO position are out of frame: http://sarex.us/n2mo/temp/radio_room_one.jpg

Re the booms - it was not a decision.  We were loaned a pair of RE-20's and the booms came with them.   It' should be a huge improvement over the stock handheld microphones.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:42:13 AM by W2RWJ » Logged
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:41:29 PM »

RE-20s are simply great mics for voice work. 

WD4MTW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »

I looked at some of these starters and most were much too heavy in the switch pull and the stiff cord. Foot pedals seem like a good idea until you used them for any amount of time, ditto inline switches. I finally found a good substitute of all places in a hospital. The patient call buttons used to signal assistance are very heavily made and booted switches. Most all have standard 1/4" mono, right angled phone jacks with tinseled cords that plug into the intercoms. You can find these on E-bay either as surplus or new stock. They comfortably are molded in some material like rubber to fit in a closed hand for extendend periods of time. 
W2EM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 05:16:32 PM »

I built a PTT switch by using a short length of PCV pipe and two PCV end caps.  A switch installed in one end cap and the cord exiting from the other.  You can use a momentary or latching type switch as desired.  Cost is minimal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: