Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic Operating Questiom  (Read 385 times)
WA8JNM

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2007, 08:14:34 AM »

I'd appreciate your opinions about whether it is required, or necessary, or desirable, to transmit the other guy's call at each turnover, in a CW QSO.  Certainly we must ID ourselves each 10 minutes, but it weems to me a waste of time, at every handover, to xmit WB6XXX De WA8JNM.  Why isn't the usual just: De WA8JNM?  
N3EF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 08:29:29 AM »

I totally agree with you and while I was doing this at first just because everyone else was, I am now striving not to do it and I now use an "ooze tube" as a timing aid. The ooze tube takes 10 minutes for the ooze to go from one chamber to the other when flipped over.

Eric N3EF
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 11:01:48 AM »

Yep you're right.  I transmit the other guys call and mine during the very first transmission, then I'll do just mine every 10 minutes or so, and then I'll do both again at the very end.

Phil
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 06:43:28 PM »

Basically when I first answer the CQ, I give both call signs.  After that I just give my own until we sign off.

Remember, unless you are handling 3rd party traffic with a station OUTSIDE the US, you are not ever required to give the other person's call sign.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 01:49:18 PM »

The reason to ID both stations at "turnover" exchanges is really one of courtesy to listeners and potential breakers.  If you only ID your own station, someone eavesdropping on the QSO might not figure out who the other station is, or maybe not for another ten minutes.

Unless I'm having a serious contact involving vital information, in which case 99% of the time I'd do that on the telephone and not via ham radio, I always invite breakers, and often get them.  "Round tables" on CW are fun, and big round tables are more fun, if everyone can hear each other.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: