Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The digital modes sure are fun  (Read 4361 times)
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2012, 04:47:47 AM »

I was hooked after my first PSK31 encode. Then I found out that our local ham club has a 2 meter FLDIGI/NBEMS net every week, where they run MT63. Recently I started checking out SSTV. These modes are fascinating and fun, especially when learning to recognize the different sounds each one makes, and the mode characteristics.

Now I know that MT63, though wide, is good for emergency use because it's robust and error correcting.

The cool thing about amateur radio is, there are so many different facets of the hobby. Once you check in, it's kind of like Hotel California...you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. Smiley

73!

Loren
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »

I was hooked after my first PSK31 encode. Then I found out that our local ham club has a 2 meter FLDIGI/NBEMS net every week, where they run MT63. Recently I started checking out SSTV. These modes are fascinating and fun, especially when learning to recognize the different sounds each one makes, and the mode characteristics.

Now I know that MT63, though wide, is good for emergency use because it's robust and error correcting.

The cool thing about amateur radio is, there are so many different facets of the hobby. Once you check in, it's kind of like Hotel California...you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. Smiley

73!

Loren

Well put Loren, and you are right, digital modes are just heaps of fun.
It also enables handicapped hams, who may no longer be able to use CW for example, to still enjoy ham radio.
I work a ham who is deaf, and cannot use CW or SSB, but digital modes mean he is still able to communicate.

When I have had a bit too much PSK31, I switch to CW for a while, and when that gets old, I go put up a new wire antenna.
From home brew enthusiasts to contesters, and qrp to qro, ham radio is one of those hobbies that has so many ecological niches
that everyone can find a place of interest.

73 - Rob

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:36:00 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
VE3KNT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »

Digital is great for DXing too, no language barrier with JT65  Grin

Just pick up Greenland today for the first time on 15m.

KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »

Well put Loren, and you are right, digital modes are just heaps of fun.
It also enables handicapped hams, who may no longer be able to use CW for example, to still enjoy ham radio.
I work a ham who is deaf, and cannot use CW or SSB, but digital modes mean he is still able to communicate.

When I have had a bit too much PSK31, I switch to CW for a while, and when that gets old, I go put up a new wire antenna.
From home brew enthusiasts to contesters, and qrp to qro, ham radio is one of those hobbies that has so many ecological niches
that everyone can find a place of interest.

73 - Rob

You know, I never thought of that, but what a great resource for hams with disabilities, like you said. That would be perfect, and would allow people to still stay active in the hobby.

And yes....each direction you go in this hobby means more things you get to learn and master. I'm still in the EXTREME beginner stage of CW. It will be quite a while before I can even imagine attempting a qso with it, but little by little I'll get there.  Fun stuff!
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »

Greenland, that's pretty cool! I haven't ventured onto HF yet, having had my ticket only a little over a month now. As a Technician, I'm limited on 10m, plus I don't have an HF rig yet (that'll change soon, I'm planning!).

I do have full privileges on 6m though, and they do call it the magic band....   In the meantime, I'm studying for my General and looking forward to the upgrade.

Congrats on Greenland!

Loren
VE3KNT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 11:09:23 PM »

Greenland, that's pretty cool! I haven't ventured onto HF yet, having had my ticket only a little over a month now. As a Technician, I'm limited on 10m, plus I don't have an HF rig yet (that'll change soon, I'm planning!).

I do have full privileges on 6m though, and they do call it the magic band....   In the meantime, I'm studying for my General and looking forward to the upgrade.

Congrats on Greenland!

Loren

I've heard good stuff about 6 meters also, but my old radio doesn't go there Embarrassed
Maybe someday I'll be able to get a newer rig that can.

Good luck on upgrading your license.

KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 07:09:58 AM »

5/22/2012 was first day on digital modes. QTH is condo with S -7/9 noise, no antennas. Stick HamStick out window when can. JT65 on 20 was fun, try 40 & PSK31 today. As grandkids say " Way Cool". Jack KC7YE
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 09:01:57 AM »

5/22/2012 was first day on digital modes. QTH is condo with S -7/9 noise, no antennas. Stick HamStick out window when can. JT65 on 20 was fun, try 40 & PSK31 today. As grandkids say " Way Cool". Jack KC7YE

Way cool, indeed!
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »

[/quote]

And yes....each direction you go in this hobby means more things you get to learn and master. I'm still in the EXTREME beginner stage of CW. It will be quite a while before I can even imagine attempting a qso with it, but little by little I'll get there.  Fun stuff!
[/quote]

With some modest daily effort, you should be making CW QSOs (although slowly) within three weeks.  I knew dozens of Novices who did it (including me). 

Incidentally, RTTY has been a fun digital mode for 60 years.

Neil N3DF
KD8NGE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 03:04:16 PM »

Made my first PSK 31 QSO night before last.
Normally I would have cut loose with a wild war whoop to celebrate the moment, but the XYL was upstairs in bed, the pups were asleep, and if she came out of bed thinking the air raid siren just went off I would likely have been the recipient of her version of the Anvil Chorus ... courtesy a matched pair of frying pans, alternately and briskly applied to my ringing skull!
Well, maybe not, but it makes a good line.
My New Mexico contact and I had quite a pleasant rag chew, after the obligatory "599" and a quick description of our rigs.
Can't wait to get home from work tonight and try it again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: