The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heatkit SB-102 knob gets hot with linear on.  (Read 5112 times)
AF6EC

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:44:26 PM »

Hi,  I have a Heathkit SB-102 connected to an SB-200 linear. Antenna is "QSO King" end fed 80-6 meter antenna. It is fed through an RF choke balun supplied by the antenna manufacturer. I can get the match down to 1.5 to 1 with a Drake MN-2000 tuner. Problem is that when using the amp with the exciter in the "tune"  position, the skirt on the mode knob gets too hot to touch in about 15 seconds of transmission. Other problem is lights in house with "touch dimmers" cycle when the amp is on. None of these problems are noted when the amp is off. I have also tried to take the balun out of the chain with no help. I get good signal reports on 80 meters at night  to distances of 200 miles. I have not tried any other bands. The pieces are tied together with ground wires, but I have only been able to access a water pipe as a ground source.

I am sure i can try some filters on the lights, but am tired of getting my finger burned. Any help out there?

Thanks   Jim  AF6EC
G8JNJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:36:27 AM »

Hi Jim,

This subject has already been discussed extensively in recent posts. You may which to take a look at:-

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,82873.0.html

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: