Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Program to record code files with word and character spacing adjustment?  (Read 1742 times)
N0BLT

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2012, 06:44:54 AM »

I am using Just Learning Morse Code now.  I'd like to find a program that will let me increase the space between words. I use custom text files I make using only complete words with the 11characters I know at 20wpm.  I've got the letter spacing down with Just Learning Morse Code. I just need some sort of word spacing option.  All while being able to record it.  Is there such a thing?  

I'd like it to occasionally test myself.  After hearing a complete word, I could scribble some notes.  

Another way I could accomplish this, would be to find a program that'd let me use a single key, like spacebar to pause and unpause.  I'd need to do it perhaps after every character.  

I guess I could do a work around with "Just Learn Morse Code", by repeating each character twice, using the repeat time to scribble.  I DO LOVE the JLMC program for its record feature!

Thanks

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:42:08 PM by N0BLT » Logged
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 08:08:06 AM »

I made a hardware device for that. Guys are using it in the car driving to and from work.

It contains the 5000 most used words according to wikipedia, and transmits them with selectable wordspace, a selectable number of times. You also can select the max number of characters per word, for QRQ a cosine squared envelope is generated in order to prevent annoying key clicks.

The name of the device is Kujer2, to be pronounced as QRQ-er
Look for Kujer2 at http://pa0wv.home.xs4all.nl/zelfbouw.html

Wim PAoWV
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:09:46 AM by PA0WV » Logged

Using an appliance without CW is just CB
N0BLT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:53:37 PM »

I made a hardware device for that.

Kujer2, to be pronounced as QRQ-er

Wim PAoWV

Thanks, right now I've only got 11 characters burnt into my brain at 20wpm (random).  I'm trying to turn this "random" sent into all "head copying" of words.  This process has massively slowed me down, but freed me from the pencil.  This is reallly stretching my brain, but definitely worth it!   I have got a fairly huge list of words using these 11 characters.  So for now I need to stick to a custom list.  I modified my orig post stating this.

Thanks Brian
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 01:38:39 PM »

I am using Just Learning Morse Code now.  I'd like to find a program that will let me increase the space between words.

Another feature already implemented for the elusive next version.  Meanwhile, you could perhaps do this manually by recording from the soundcard and using JLMC's pause button to create each pause.  (A rather lame way to do it, but nevertheless a possibility).

LB3KB Sigurd
justlearnmorsecode.com
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 05:03:58 AM »

Be careful not to implement all kinds of gadgets because they are possible, but do it only when you decide they will be helpful in learning.

When you master only 11 characters and need wide character space, it will be better to exercise short words with normal letterspace (my opinion) at least 5 minutes of text

Furthermore - extremely important -
a) REPEAT a copied word always several times immediately and check your first solution.
b) Use the same sequence of text till you copy all the words the first time correct.

It is unwise to exercise with Koch each character till you copy at 20/20 wpm. That is because you are then proceeding so slow, that the chance of giving up approaches 100%.

N0BLT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 07:09:30 AM »

Be careful not to implement all kinds of gadgets because they are possible, but do it only when you decide they will be helpful in learning.

The biggest gadget I use is my bicycle.  This gadget is helpful.  Head copy is fairly tortuous.  I find it is more bearable, if I get to do something fun while I listen.  

I've switched from listening to random characters at 20/20wpm chained to desk with pencil and paper, to head copying of complete words on my bicycle rides.  Initially I had to slow down to 13/20wpm.  I'm now getting to the point I want to separate the WORDS I recognize beyond 20/20wpm from the troublesome words.  This is the reason for the request for a program tha'd let me add some inter word space.  This would give me some scribble time, to do the separating.  This is for an occasional "test" (with paper).  

I love the whole "head copying" method I'm presently doing.  I want to reach target of 20/20wpm (head copy) with ALL the 200 or so words in my files, before adding another character.  I'm in no hurry and want to build my foundation fully.
When you master only 11 characters and need wide character space, it will be better to exercise short words with normal letterspace (my opinion) at least 5 minutes of text

Yep, short words.  4-5 letter words mostly, although I throw in a few 3 and 6 or 7 character words.  The reason I decided to stop at 11 characters, to learn this whole "head copy thing", is the random character method was turning into drudgery, NOT FUN, and my hand hurt.  I could comprehend almost nothing that I'd write at 20wpm.  Now I find head copy of complete words more rewarding, and I get to bicycle at the same time!  YEAH!  
Edit--One more thing--knowing 11 characters is enough to form MANY words.  Just feed them into an online Scrabble word finder!

My mp3 files range from 5-15 minutes.
Furthermore - extremely important -
a) REPEAT a copied word always several times immediately and check your first solution.

Good Idea!  Easy to do with "Just Learn Morse Code"
b) Use the same sequence of text till you copy all the words the first time correct.

Yep, I was thinking of shortening my list of words to 5 or 10 instead of the 200 or so common words derived from the 11 characters I know randomly at 20/20wpm.
It is unwise to exercise with Koch each character till you copy at 20/20 wpm.

Yes, I've heard others complaining Kotch method give you too much time to "think and count dits".  When I was receiving random char's at 20/20wpm, no problem with "thinking too much", there is not enough time for it.  

Since slowing down and trying to master "head copying", yes I have been "thinking" too much.  I had to slow to 13/20 to comprehend characters first, then words started to become familiar.  Some words still being troublesome, I should switch to 14/14 wpm or 16/14, to give me less time to think.  Those words that are incredibly familiar, I need to put in another file, because I can already comprehend some of them at 25/25wpm.  
...till you copy at 20/20 wpm. That is because you are then proceeding so slow, that the chance of giving up approaches 100%.

Yep, I'm hitting that wall with lots of the words, NOT SPEEDING UP.  That's why I want to separate out the troublesome words and switch to 14/14wpm  or so.  But me GIVE UP?  NO WAY,  That's why I've decided to start on this head copy idea.  It has made learning code much more rewarding, having a little goal of actually receiving COMPLETE WORDS in my brain.  It is a big deal for me, to have simple rewards like this.  This forming of words in my brain, give me the HOPE of actually hearing half of a QSO, and thinking it is a friend with words, and thoughts, rather than individual letters.  I much prefer the bicycling ,and learning this language, rather than being chained to the desk with paper and pencil in hand, mindlessly scribbling random characters.  

This head copying has slowed my overall learning of code.  I think it is wiser to take longer and learn characters well and build that mental buffer (head copy) now, THEN add characters slowly, keeping my head copy up to 20/20 wpm.  I just have this fear, if I learn NOW the whole character set at 13wpm, with pencil & paper & random characters, I'd be spending the rest of my life trying to speed up, FOREVER STUCK as a slow speed code-ist.

Brian
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:52:41 AM by N0BLT » Logged
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 11:46:24 AM »

I'd like to find a program that will let me increase the space between words.

ebook2cw has a parameter for this (-W Extra Word spacing.).
See http://fkurz.net/ham/ebook2cw.html

Fabian DJ1YFK

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: