Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recordings  (Read 2400 times)
K5DTE

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2012, 08:33:58 AM »

Guys,

I am trying to find a method to listen to CW while I am not in the shack or in front of a computer to assist in the learning process.  Are there any recordings that say the character and then play the character in CW multiple times and then repeat?

I figure I can listen to something like this in the car to associate the character to the sound.

Thanks!

Robert
K5DTE
N0BLT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 01:15:56 PM »

I'd make custom recordings using Just Learn Morse Code program.  The author hangs out on these forums.  The Kotch method uses only 2 characters to start.  If your goal is 15 or 20 wpm, before adding another character, you'd find you brain is plenty exercised.  

wishing I could undo all those hours of sending and slow speed learning all 26 characters.
brian

if you have an I phone this looks fun! http://iditdahtext.com/iDitDahText.html
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:27:47 PM by N0BLT » Logged
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 07:50:20 AM »

Guys,

I am trying to find a method to listen to CW while I am not in the shack or in front of a computer to assist in the learning process.  Are there any recordings that say the character and then play the character in CW multiple times and then repeat?

I figure I can listen to something like this in the car to associate the character to the sound.

Thanks!

Robert
K5DTE

Fifty years ago many of us learned code with the basic Rider learn CW set of phonograph records that did just that.  Ten or fifteen years ago there was a fairly obnoxious code-learning cassette tape that also pronounced the character to the accompaniment of a musical beat. 

Neil N3DF
VK2FAK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »

HI all..

I have a little program that was free, called....MP3myMP3......from memory you can switch inputs easy....so if you want to make you own.....I guess you could use a Mic, and a code program...

I just tried it from FLDigi where I could enter "A" and few times and record it on MP3.....then you just click to mic input and say....A....hihi..

John
G4YVM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 05:58:13 AM »

Hi,

I too am a returning CW geek trying to improve my speed from the paltry 15wpm to a ragchewing 30 by the year end. 

I have tried this  ARRL's MP3

http://www.arrl.org/w1aw/morse.html

but when I try to save it on my Mac i get the rror message " cannot save as ...then the file name".  Is there something else I need to do before it will let me save?

David
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 01:15:44 PM »

There is the Jerry Ziliak KB6MT course that does this - and this was the way I learned (finally after several different methods!) of learning CW.  They were recorded on cassette in the 80's, but someone sells them on an mp3 cd out there if you do a google search (I bought both, one in the late 80's and the mp3 version a few years ago)...
KF7IPW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »

I can copy/send around 10 WPM and on a good evening 15 WPM.
Would the Jerry Ziliak, KB6MT code CD's be of much help getting faster?

I found the source to order them.
http://visradio.com/frame/ars-f.htm

Stan AE7UT
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »

He goes up to 25 wpm, I believe.  I tried lots of different code courses (ARRL, WB6NOA, K7OQ, etc.) and this was the one that worked for me.
W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »

I use my iPhone. There are a variety of great apps, including:

CWtext - will play from a list of the 100, or 500, most common words, as well as fairy tales, numbers, callsigns, q-codes, etc. It can display the text for you, so if you miss something a quick glance at the screen will show you. The delay in displaying is configurable, as is the speed, farnsworth mode, etc.

Dah Dit - Fantastic for when you're just starting to learn the code - it will sound out a character 3 times, and then a voice will announce the character. It also does words, although these are not spoken afterwards.

HamMorse - will sound out text from a variety of RSS feeds (e.g. BBC news, etc.), does Koch mode, prosigns, sample QSOs, etc. and display the text.

All of these will generate codes at speeds up to 50wpm or higher.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: