Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Different results in Win7 vs. Linux for same OpenOffice spreadsheet file  (Read 4971 times)
W0BTU

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:04:07 PM »

The same OpenOffice calc file that works fine in Windows 7, displays an error in Ubuntu.
Cells B10 and B22 show a "#NAME?" error in Linux, but in Windows 7 this error is not present.
Any ideas? I'm stumped. The file is at http://www.w0btu.com/files/antenna/OpenWireZ%20telephone%20wire%201.ods

EDIT: IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OS. Problem solved below by KF6QEX.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:24:54 AM by W0BTU » Logged

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »

My guess is that it is not perfect between platforms. I would suggest building it under Linux and see if it plays on WinDoze.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:06:35 PM »

Building a simple spreadsheet under Linux? Not sure what you mean there.  I thought Open Office was supposed to be cross-platform; why does this cell formula not work in Linux?

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »

Now it's also doing it (sometimes) on my Windows 7 laptop. Either it's a bug in Open Office, or the formulas in B10 and B22 have limitations that I don't understand.

The formula in B10 is =(276/SQRT(B8))*LOG10(4*B6/(B5*SQRT(1+(2*B6/B7)^2)))

Can someone familiar with spreadsheets take a look and see?

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 03:48:07 PM »

Building a simple spreadsheet under Linux? Not sure what you mean there.  I thought Open Office was supposed to be cross-platform; why does this cell formula not work in Linux?

It is supposed to be cross platform but it is possible the because of the shell it runs in (the OS) that some codes does not execute the same. Long time ago in 90's MS got in a big fight with Sun over tweaking Java on its platform so it was a bit different and not fully cross compatible. (meaning you could write/compile Java code on WIN platform that would not work right on other platforms) They lost that fight and "officially" they do not support Java. Support is "optional" via Java's owner. This is why I said try to build sheet under Linux version and see if it works cross platform .

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 09:57:12 PM »

Like I said above, it's now doing the same thing in Win7. Maybe it has something to do with that it was originally an Excel .xls file, and I converted it to .odt. But I did that over 2 years ago, and I just now ran into this problem.

KB5JOF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 07:54:31 AM »

I am not an expert but have you considered the way each platform handles the equation.  Are they the same?  Does one work in a different order from the other? 
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 10:27:04 AM »

Please forget the title of this thread.

As I've stated twice now, I've found that the same intermittent problem exists in both Linux and Windows versions of OpenOffice Calc.

I'm downloading the latest version of Open Office for Windows. Let's see if that fixes it.

What I would REALLY like to do is put this spreadsheet online for everyone to use, to free up my time. I get requests all the time that I use this spreadsheet to answer. Maybe a PHP form handler or JavaScript, but I'm not that fluent in either language. If someone out there could help with the programming, I'd gladly start a web page with the entry forms.

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 12:17:57 PM »

Tried it with version 3.2.1 (Build 9502) in w7.
The first time I opened it had NAME? in both B10 and B22 .
I had to save the file locally to get rid of "ReadOnly mode"
Then I clicked on B10 to see the formula and it seems to magically be fixed.
So I saved it and it still works.
I get 144.87 in B10 and  479.60 in B22

B10    =(276/SQRT(B8))*LOG10(4*B6/(B5*SQRT(1+(2*B6/B7)^2)))

It seems to get corrected after highlighting the formula.
I copied and pasted the B10 formula to another cell and it works fine too.
So yes..there is "something" going on, but it's not the formula itself!

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »

Shorter version of the "magic":

Download the file
It will have the error when you open it. Ignore that
Save it in say..Documents.
Do File->Reload.
All works!!!
Yes that's the short version but it makes more sense.

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »

Hey, thanks, Dimitri! I'll try that ASAP.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was going nuts or something. :-)

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 12:49:49 PM »

Same here especially after seeing the error dissapear!
If the file is opened "from the download", it's in Read Only mode and recalculation (F9) is turned off, it can't recalculate ,causing the error or enough confusion to cause the error Smiley

N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »

Add a space after "^2":

...B6/B7)^2 )))

Tor
N4OGW

Now it's also doing it (sometimes) on my Windows 7 laptop. Either it's a bug in Open Office, or the formulas in B10 and B22 have limitations that I don't understand.

The formula in B10 is =(276/SQRT(B8))*LOG10(4*B6/(B5*SQRT(1+(2*B6/B7)^2)))

Can someone familiar with spreadsheets take a look and see?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 02:43:31 AM »

Like other open source projects, OpenOffice tends to see frequent revisions on both the Windows and Linux side... Which means it's a work in progress and the two versions aren't necessarily in sync developmentally. One may be half a click ahead of the other at any given time, and there is no guarantee that files from any version in Linux are plug & play with every version in Windows or vice-verse.

I've used it for close to ten years and it's good stuff once you realize it's a fully independent software suite and not a clone of MS Office. Best feature is that it's something of a Swiss army knife when it comes to reading obscure file formats. Might not always get it 100% right, but at least it doesn't take the attitude that if the file didn't come from Redmond it's irrelevant........

Never change a password on a Friday                
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 08:09:44 PM »

"Maybe it has something to do with that it was originally an Excel .xls file, and I converted it to .odt"

There is your problem. Everyone thinks Mickeysoft is the "standard". It isn't. OO and others are.

Mickeysoft adds stuff to do neat things people want, without consideration for other platforms. Same is true for their HTML, docs, ppt, etc. I have the same problem between ppt files for my church.

This is from http://www.techsoup.org/learningcenter/software/page4765.cfm.

"The two applications are also incompatible when it comes to macros or spreadsheet pivot tables. Both applications support both features (pivot tables are created with a feature called Data Pilot in OpenOffice), but you will not be able to use the macros or pivot tables created in one application with the other. You may also have some minor issues with translating charts from one spreadsheet program to the other."

de NA4IT
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:14:28 PM by NA4IT » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: