Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 250 logged CW contacts  (Read 459 times)
V73NS

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2007, 10:46:37 AM »

250... a good start!

When folks upgraded, I would always tell them to set a simple rule for themselves that when they want to operate HF and head for the shack, their first QSO of the day should be CW.

Some found that they loved CW and have stayed with their newly learned skill. Others blew it off, same as most do a New Year's promise to start working out at the gym.

With each contact you are learning, increasing your skill and opening your ears to a world many newer hams will never know.

I was first licensed as WN8CRT in the mid 70's and learned CW was fun and a better way to chase DX with a modest station. Once I upgraded I made a few phone contacts... and put the mic back in the drawer.

Now I live on a tiny remote island in the middle of nowhere. I can make 70+ contacts an hour when the bands are cooking and my CW speeds are comfortably in the 40 WPM range. The first time I was out here for ~3 years and logged 22,700 CW contacts. Something about being rare DX tends to improve your CW speed!
HI  HI

I took a year away from the islands and now I am back, getting adjusted to a new job and getting the ham shack back on the air and my operating time will increase in the next few weeks.

Hope to see you on the bands!

Neil
V73NS
YI9NS
WD8CRT
V63NS
AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:29:15 AM »

Well,

I just checked, 250 logged CW contacts during my first year of CW operation. The vast majority of TIME was spent ragchewing, although by straight numbers the majority of contacts were in contests.

At first I didn't think I'd want to count the contest contacts, too short. However, they're also a LOT faster.

Sure there are those of you who can make 250 contacts in a couple hours during a contest, but for ME 250 is a big deal.

Be happy!

73 de Donald
N3EF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:10:55 AM »

Congrat's on that Donald. I'm new to cw myself and hope to log my 1000th qso tonight after 1-1/2 years on cw. Not including contests. I don't keep contest contacts in my general logging program, although many dx contacts aren't much different than a contest contact. Keep up the good work and hope to meet you on the air.

Long live CW!
Eric N3EF
KF5KWO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 09:33:14 AM »

And they say CW is dead...

73 de Jeff, KF5KWO
Helotes, TX
AB9LZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 05:42:20 PM »

I just checked my log out of curiosity,

977 CW qso's in 19 months.

I think I play with the radio too much Wink

73 m.
EXWA2SWA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:25:29 AM »

LZ sez: "977 CW qso's in 19 months.
I think I play with the radio too much Wink"

Naw, yer right on track ... 1322 since Nov. 30 2004
WQ3T

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 11:09:25 AM »

I've got 1000 CW QSOs in a year plus the 300 on field day. With CW, sometimes Quantity is better, other times Quality is better. The good rag chews usually occur after 2+ QSOs. Don't expect a ratchetjaw conversation with someone until you've had a few QSOs, exchanged cards and maybe a few emails. Then you've got an old friend instead of just cold beeps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: