Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: casual listening while doing other tasks  (Read 2162 times)
KU7I

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2012, 02:12:39 AM »

Just want to toss this out to the group. I can copy 25 wpm pretty solid in my head without writing anything down....and as I decrease the speed a bit to 20 wpm I approach 100% copy ability in my head. Sometimes in the early am when I wake up and am checking email or working on homework before work I will log on to W1AW code practice files web site and "listen" to their 40 wpm broadcast. I do this while I make coffee, do other tasks, etc. so rather than having some smooth jazz playing I have this cw.

So my question is: Is there any benefit to doing this to slowly increase your cw speed? It SEEMS to help but I have not really been able to tell for sure. I am currently stationed in Yokosuka, Japan with the US Naval Hospital and my JA call is pending.

Any ideas, thoughts, or feedback is welcome.

Lane
Ku7i
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 02:58:56 AM »

I think it will be beneficial, as long as you can understand something at the higher speed.  If it just sounds like gibberish, then a slower speed is called for.

Chuck  NI0C
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 03:29:18 AM »

Hi Lane,

Well you are already well ahead of the curve if you can receive in your head.
I would say you are on the right track, and if it works for you, slowly increase your speed of listening.

I did something similar when I became active again after many years of no CW exposure.
I would take a CW program such as CWtype, HRD, FLdigi or any of the many others and copy and paste some text from a book into the send screen.
Then with the soundcard output enabled, I would listen to the code and try and read it in my head.

It seemed to work - after a year I went from about 18WPM to 48WPM, but I must confess I used to be a ships sparky,
so I did have lots of exposure in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
Strangely, I can read faster now than then.

Whenever I reached a plateau, I would crank up the speed 5 WPM more than I could read for about 5 minutes, trying to read as much as I could.
When I wound the speed back by 3WPM I could then read it much more easily.
I found the brain did not really notice a 1 or 2 WPM increase at all, so it may be the same with you.

As I said earlier, if you can read 25WPM in your head now, you can absolutely go to 30WPM without breaking a sweat.
For ham use I have found that 30WPM will put you in the 98th percentile of operators anyway, and guys working at that speed or greater are very thin on the ground.

Most guys I work (mainly DX), send around 18 to 25 WPM, and I rarely use anything above 30WPM as the pickings are slim.

Have fun, and good luck on your JA call.

73 - Rob
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 03:34:17 AM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 08:53:45 AM »

KU7I:  Lane, STAYVERTICAL has answered your question(s) as good as it's going to get! 

As for "being ahead of the curve" he says a mouthful.  When I get up early in the AM, I don't want to talk to anyone, I don't want to hear anyone or anything!  Especially smooth jazz or CW!   Grin

Rotsa Ruck with operating from Japan with your new call.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 10:13:11 AM »

I find listening to "too fast to copy solid" CW to help push my speed up. You know you're a CW Freak when you listen to high speed CW rather than music. Wink
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 05:12:16 PM »

My "CW elmer" discourages beginners from listening to CW with a dull mind or doing CW for too long stretches at a time, but to always listen to CW when rested and alert with full concentration. He also recommends starting with Farnsworth timing at the speed you intend to use it.

Since you already know morse code, however, I think listening to code practice sessions to up your speed to be a good idea, because it will be well-sent code.
HA7AP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »

Just want to toss this out to the group. I can copy 25 wpm pretty solid in my head without writing anything down....and as I decrease the speed a bit to 20 wpm I approach 100% copy ability in my head. Sometimes in the early am when I wake up and am checking email or working on homework before work I will log on to W1AW code practice files web site and "listen" to their 40 wpm broadcast. I do this while I make coffee, do other tasks, etc. so rather than having some smooth jazz playing I have this cw.

So my question is: Is there any benefit to doing this to slowly increase your cw speed? It SEEMS to help but I have not really been able to tell for sure. I am currently stationed in Yokosuka, Japan with the US Naval Hospital and my JA call is pending.

Any ideas, thoughts, or feedback is welcome.

Lane
Ku7i

Hi Lane!

You are definitely on a right track.
Keep on doing what you do right now.
Are you saying that, you are listening to 40 WPM code? If you able to copy anything at that speed, there you are! You can do this pretty easy then.
All you have to do is, every time you feel comfortable to copy at a certain speed in your head, just increase the speed with 2-3 wpm. You will be a 40 WPM op in no time!

i hope to get your Japanese call soon.

73 Imi HA7AP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: