Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teenage novel from 1950s?  (Read 2132 times)
K3GHH

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »

Does anyone else remember a novel in which a new kid moves to town and turns out to be a ham? I vividly remember an illustration of the book's protagonists, some nice local kids, peering with curiosity through the window of the new boy's radio shack --- in its own separate outbuilding (everyone's dream in those days!). The drawing clearly showed that he was using an NC-98 receiver; I don't remember anything about other gear.

This was not a Walker Tompkins "Tommy Rockford" novel, but a stand-alone book, as I recall. Of course the conclusion was that the local boys and girls who were suspicious of this nerdy introverted newcomer wind up liking him... and he them.

Anyone remember such a book? It's probably from the mid or late 1950s.

--John K3GHH
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:45:42 PM by K3GHH » Logged
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »

It's not the Hardy Boys books, is it? I've never read them but I know they had some with ham radio tied in.

I read the Walter Tompkins books when I was younger, good stories!
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 02:12:38 PM »

The most accurate as to Ham Radio that I recall was the "Carl and Jerry" series by John T. Frye, published in Popular Electronics "back in the day".  I believe they were also published as books as well. 

And it appears there are books being sold with those wonderful stories in them now: 

http://www.copperwood.com/carlandjerry.htm

http://www.copperwood.com/carlandjerry.htm

KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »

Does one of the titles at http://forums.qrz.com/archive/index.php/t-242276.html ring a bell?
K3GHH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 07:17:53 PM »

Thanks for the replies, guys. KEK, sorry, none of them sounds in the ballpark. WD, I always enjoyed the Carl and Jerry Pop 'tronics stories when I was a kid, but what I vaguely recall was definitely a book. FCV, "The Short-Wave Mystery" is one of my favorites! But that's not it either.

PS: I have a nearly complete set of the pre-1955 Hardy Boys books (missing only "The Secret Warning"), before they started rewriting the plots, and something like 25 Radio Boys books. I'm afraid the last RB book I read was practically indistinguishable from other teenage fiction of the period ("The Golden Boys," etc.): The (rich men's sons, in all of those series books) boys shared the radio hobby but the novel itself was an outdoor adventure with almost no radio content.

--John K3GHH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: