Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 17 Meter Modification for Hustler 6BTV Vertical Antenna  (Read 2125 times)
KB3MDT

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »

Hi,
    I'm thinking about adding a 17 Meter Modification to my ground mounted Hustler 6BTV Vertical Antenna with60 buried radials.      I've done some research and there are two ways to do this.

1) DX Engineering DXE-AOK-17M.   This looks like it is basically a trap and small radiators that attach to the 10 foot resonator on the 6BTV  (10-15-20-30-40-80 Meter antenna)

2) Home Brew mod.  This is basically adding a vertical 17 Meter 1/4 Wavelength wire parallel to the existing antenna.  The wire is about 1 foot distant from the existing antenna.  The bottom of the wire attaches to the bottom of the existing antenna (I.e. electrically connected to the center of the coax feed).  The top of the wire attaches to a PVC Insulator aproximately 12.9 feet up the antenna.  See http://www.hamuniverse.com/5btvmodkk5id.html for more detail.

What's the pros and cons of the two approaches?

... Price - #2 is cheaper, especially if you have a good junk box of old antenna parts. 

... Physical Construction - Probably a toss up if you do #2 right

... Impact on Antenna Radiation Pattern - Huh

... Need to retune the 6BTV after installation - Huh

... Overall effectiveness as sending and receiving antenna - Huh

Thanks for your thoughts!   Also, if any one has a EZNEC model of the 6BTV could you share it with me?
Ken
KB3MDT
W8NYC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 11:10:35 AM »

I have the DX engineering 17 meter
it works
No longer use it or the BTV
Sell it cheap if you want it

Steve
W8NYC
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 03:44:17 PM »

I'll tell you what. The Homebrew is fairly easy and cheap. Do that first, then if you are not satisfied, get the DX Engineering kit. Don't do it in reverse.
N0CGF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 05:49:08 AM »

With my Elevated 6BTV I added a quarter wave wire for 17, and one for 12 Meters. Yes I had to add 4 Tuned elevated radial wires for each band.  It was cheap and worked great !  At this location it did not affect the antenna tuning for the other bands.  Good Luck,,, 73's  N0CGF Dennis

"I'll tell you what. The Homebrew is fairly easy and cheap. Do that first, then if you are not satisfied, get the DX Engineering kit. Don't do it in reverse"   N4NYY

I should state I thought of my options and started with what N4NYY recommended. The results were so good I decided to leave good enough alone because it was CHEAP, CHEAP. And the home brew satisfaction of a simple modification was present.  N0CGF
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:10:23 AM by N0CGF » Logged
KB3MDT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 07:24:19 PM »

Hi,

I went the "home brew" route and added two wires, one for 12M and one for 17M to my Hustler 6BTV.  They are about 12" away from the aluminum mast.  One is on the East Side, the other on the South Side.   I tuned the 12M and 17M wires by adjusting their lengths.  I then checked the 10-15-20-30-40 bands and had to adjust the Hustler Traps to get acceptable SWR on each band.  All "tubes" were already at mimimum length.   Not really a big deal other than I don't have an antenna analyzer and thus have to run up and down the basement steps to check each adjustment using my Transceiver for measurements.    I can get a SWR of 2.0 or less on all bands (including 12 and 17M) except the very bottom of 10M and very top of 40M.  Of course, 80M is limited to around 50K of bandwidth, but thats normal for this antenna.   The antenna is ground mounted with 50 radials just under the grass.

All in all, it took about 1 and 1/2 days to do everything, including a trip to a big box store for some Stainless Steel U Clamps and Aluminum stock.  This time also included a senior momemt (actually a few hours) with the wrong antenna cable hooked up to my transceiver  (couldn't figure out why the adjustments to the Hustler weren't doing anything).    Plus, I'm a perfectionist on adjusting the antenna to mimimize the need for an antenna tuner.

Now the big test, comparison to my Fan Dipole with center at 30 feet.  The Fan Dipole is usually quieter on receive, and puts out a slightly stronger signal.  However, the Fan Dipole SWR is very "twitchy" on 12M and 17M SWR with my Antenna Tuner as its not cut for these frequencies.  The Hustler doesn't need the Antenna Tuner!  On occasion, the Hustler Vertical wins on DX Contacts - No change from pre 12M and 17M modifications to the Hustler.  All in all, I'd say success!

Ken
KB3MDT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: