Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to upgrade the shack  (Read 8447 times)
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 09:38:07 PM »

You have a great setup already with a decent antenna.  If you got money burning a hole in your pocket, buy some rolls (>100ft rolls) of 18 or 16 gage wire and lay down more radials.

73, Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 12:19:11 PM »

You have a great setup already with a decent antenna.  If you got money burning a hole in your pocket, buy some rolls (>100ft rolls) of 18 or 16 gage wire and lay down more radials.

73, Delwyn KH6DC

You do reach a point of diminishing returns were all the radials you can fit will not even give you 1/2 S-unit. 

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KD8RDJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 07:58:05 PM »

73, Delwyn KH6DC

Yeah, thats actually my next project. I didn't take care to bury the radials any and the lawnmower messed them up.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 08:05:08 AM »

And that is why you see the need for improvement.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 10:44:57 AM »

73, Delwyn KH6DC

Yeah, thats actually my next project. I didn't take care to bury the radials any and the lawnmower messed them up.

Not need to bury them but you should use landscaping stables to hold them flush with ground until the grow into grass.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 09:49:55 PM »

I learned very late in life (After I had hundreds of radials buried the hard way) that the idea of just laying them on top and letting them "self bury" DOES WORK. And much faster and better than I ever thought.  As pointed out. Mow the grass short, A few home made staples to hold it down and there you are.

(My method of burying is to put out a soaker hose for a few hours to really wet the sod/soil before any attempt to bury, Then use a shovel digging with an extreme angle, Going left right, left right, left right so the sod "Hinges".    Lay the radial wire in the shallow trench, Go back and just flop the sod back in place in the reverse order, and stomp it down and you cannot even see a wire was buried!
Works great.   But is a whole lot more work than just laying on top and letting them self bury......)

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 06:21:08 AM »

My 2ยข is antenna first and if you have some money left over get an external speaker. I like the newer one from Palstar quite a bit and Paul is a stand up guy. It won't help you work more DX BUT it will make long hours of listening less fatiguing.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 09:01:53 AM »

The antenna is the big thing.

I'd sugest a few other things;

A good office type chair. One that you can safely lean back in. Sometimes a 20 min. nap helps things.
Small refrigerator and coffee maker.
1/2 bath makes things ok. I have to walk up the stairs.
Put a light under your workbench and operating position.
An extra 20A circuit.
An understanding wife/husband/sig. other

klc
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: