Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS440SAT  (Read 1328 times)
ALVOID54

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2012, 10:40:09 PM »

Hello, I have a question for the experts. I have purchased a Kenwood TS440SAT and I am planning on running it on a brand new Astron 50M power supply. I was wondering if that is a good power supply to run my radio with or should I purchase a Kenwood power supply? I do not want to cause any damage to the radio. I do not mean to sound stupid, but I am new to the world of ham. Thank you and have a good day.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 11:11:26 PM »

I have been using an Astron RS-20M for over 15 years with no problems.
The meters don't do much for me really. I almost never look at them.
A 50 amp linear power supply is probably overkill, and very HEAVY!!
The 35 amp power supply is probably more than you will ever need.

Switching power supplies are small and light weight. They are also much more difficult
to troubleshoot if needed. Not sure of the price differences.
I don't care for switching power supplies for ham gear.

The OEM power supplies are likely overpriced for what they are and maybe
not built as well as an Astron.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 11:47:49 PM »

The TS-440S is rated 20 A at 13.8 V (12-16 V). It is a good idea to have some headroom. You also got to be careful regarding the specs of power supplies. Some are rated at a time limited max current. Basically I would recommend a 30 A supply for this rig. A switch mode supply could also be considered. However, you'll have to check it so it does not produce any interferences. Good ones don't, cheap ones do. The TS-440 has a protective diode at the power input. Unfortunately I could not make out its data to see if it is only against reverse supply or also overvoltage. Fuses in both supply lines are a good idea as well. And last but not least take appropriate cable for the connection.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 02:33:28 AM »

The power supply that you have is perfectly fine.  There is no need to purchase a Kenwood supply.  I bought a TS-440SAT brand new, kept it for over 10 years, and ran it frequently on power supplies with much less headroom than yours with no problems.  The Kenwood requires 20A peak current and your Astron will supply at least 50A peak, so you could easily run another radio with it along with the Kenwood (2M perhaps?).

If you have the original Kenwood power cord, you should use it.  If not, I would recommend something with at least 12AWG wires, and 20A fuses in both the positive and negative leads.

Don, K2DC
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 05:25:49 AM »

Hello, I have a question for the experts. I have purchased a Kenwood TS440SAT and I am planning on running it on a brand new Astron 50M power supply. I was wondering if that is a good power supply to run my radio with or should I purchase a Kenwood power supply? I do not want to cause any damage to the radio. I do not mean to sound stupid, but I am new to the world of ham. Thank you and have a good day.

I've had an Astron 50A supply on my bench for over 20 years, same supply, used daily. I wouldn't have any other. I know if it ever breaks and for some reason can't be fixed I will get another one. The factory supplies look nice and match the radio but don't work any better.

Clif
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 09:00:28 AM »

Any CLEAN 25A-30A class DC supply should work just fine. I used both of the ones you mentioned (except the Astron was a RS-20A) on my old TS440SAT at one time or another. Point is to ensure that the supply you do use is stable and has CLEAN smooth DC voltage under load. Both of the ones you mentioned are quite adequate but the Astron RM-50 is indeed way overkill unless you plan to run the TS-440S and a high power VHF/UHF along with statio accessories all at the same time on the same supply. Some switching supplies has terrible hash on the DC output so beware.

BTW in my Kenwood PS-55 supply I added a small 12V fan to help cool it when running RTTY. The supply would get too warm for my likes and after adding a fan it ran much cooler.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »

I'd prefer a 120V fan as this does not add load to the supply.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »

I'd prefer a 120V fan as this does not add load to the supply.

Install what you want but I found it much easier to install a 3" square 12V computer fan and it only draws around 300-500 mA. I think a 22A supply can handle the EXTRA current.  Wink

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: