Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer speed  (Read 15428 times)
K4KRW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 03:10:30 AM »

I still have one PC that runs XP.  It has plenty of resources (speed, memory, hard drive space, ...).  I never reboot unless I have to.  And it runs very fast and gives me no trouble. 

On the other hand, old PC's with too little resources just won't run XP well.  Service pack 3 for XP was the final nail in the coffin.  The speed difference between SP2 and SP3 on an under resourced PC is simply astounding.

I agree with W8JX.  It is time to move on to something newer.  If you can't go above 1GB of memory, that is a problem.  We have field devices at work that have the same limitation.  They run terribly slow.  Again, service pack 3 really made things worse. 

This doesn't mean you shouldn't run service pack 3.  You should.  You can't even get new Windows updates if you don't run it.

I will add two other things to look into.

1.  I still believe in defragmenting your hard drive.  Also, if you have had your swap file set to auto size, it is almost certainly very fragmented.  Defrag your hard drive.  Eliminate the swap file.  Then remake it a fixed size.  Make it the maximum size XP recommends.  It will never get fragmented again.

2. Do you have browser plugins.  We had someone at work that was always complaining about speed.  Our PCs at work are blazingly fast.  I never could understand why they were having problems when no-one else was.  I took time to look at the PC.  They had about 15 browser plugins/addons running.  Checking weather, news who knows.  I removed them all.  They could not believe how much faster their 'PC' ran.  It wasn't the PC, it was the browser.  The difference was truly night and day.

You can find info about both of these topics with a Google search.  I don't want to write a book here.

Finally, used PC hardware is pretty cheap.  I'd try to find something that would let you have at least 3GB of memory.  I think the real problem is your hardware.  It is just too old.

Also, realize that Windows 7 is much more secure than XP.  I really wish I didn't run XP at all.  I do still have some ham software that wants XP.  But, I am working to get out of that situation.  I finally found logging software that I like that is made to run on Win7 (log4om).  So, I am getting closer to my goal.

Richard - K4KRW
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 06:14:38 AM »

GOOD LORD!  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed  Just get yourself a reasonably priced modern computer and be done with it.  Stop screwing around with that old junk and spending money on upgrades.

Remove all the unnecessary junk that comes pre-installed, load Microsoft Security Essentials, and don't download a bunch of useless junk.  Trying to run with an old anemic Celeron level processor or mobile M processor will try your patience or sure.  The new modern multicore processors, such as the i3, i5, or i7, are so much more powerful and are the way to go.  Forget XP and 32 bit versions of Win 7 too.

Gene
IW3HMH

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 09:26:29 AM »

Also, realize that Windows 7 is much more secure than XP.  I really wish I didn't run XP at all.  I do still have some ham software that wants XP.  But, I am working to get out of that situation.  I finally found logging software that I like that is made to run on Win7 (log4om).  So, I am getting closer to my goal.

Hi Richard. Log4om is made, tested and compiled on a virtual machine using Windows XP. My ham station runs on Windows 7 64 bit.
You can stay on XP as long as you want, if it's good enough for you.

Daniele IW3HMH
K4KRW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 04:35:53 PM »

Re:  "Hi Richard. Log4om is made, tested and compiled on a virtual machine using Windows XP. My ham station runs on Windows 7 64 bit.  You can stay on XP as long as you want, if it's good enough for you."

Daniele,

I really want to get rid of XP.  Windows 7 is so much more secure.  Old ham software that does not follow best practices has been holding up my transition (ACLog, for example).  Log4om does indeed run fine on XP.  But, more importantly, it will also run fine on Windows 7.  That is where I want to go.  Thankfully, logging software is no longer a problem.  Thanks for a fine product!  Very nice.

Thanks - Richard - K4KRW

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 05:07:59 PM »

The "problem" is that XP still supports old chopped 16/32 bit code in some poorly written apps. Vista and 7 DO NOT support this type of code. If app was properly compiled for WIN 32 it will run on Vista or 7.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K4KRW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2012, 07:21:06 AM »

The other problem is non standard placement of data files.  Applications should not write data to their location in the program files folder.  In the case of Vista and Windows 7 you end up with the altered files being in 'VirtualStore'.  I have found VirtualStore to be very inconsistent with its treatment of files. 

My initial exposure to VirtualStore was with Orbitron.  The Keplerian files are in the program folder.  So my Keplerian files were being written to VirtualStore when they were updated.  Windows should have then read from there as well.  But instead, when Oribitron ran, it read the copies in the actual program files folder.  To make things really confusing, when I went into explorer, I saw the updated keplerian files in my program folder. 

In summary:  The original configuration files were in the program folder.  Updates to those files happened in the VirtualStore folder.  But, sometimes when reading those updated files you would instead be reading the original files in the program folder.

Only later after some serious head scratching did I discover VirtualStore.  I actually ended up deleting the original files and Orbitron worked because the operating system had no choice but to hand it the files in VirtualStore.

With these non-standard programs, you can sometimes get them to work by configuring them to run in some backward compatibility mode.  But, you are compromising the security of your system.

This kind of problem is really pretty easy to fix.  Put files being updated under the user's profile or the public profile.  Or even better, let the user decide where to put them when they install your application (this is how Log4OM works).

I don't understand why people won't make this simple change.

73,  Richard
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 04:02:44 AM »

What is happening is that Windows actually maps the memory for the different processes and programs, meaning that it reserves certain section of memory--which then can't be used for other things until the memory runs out.  The extra time is caused by Windows accessing the memory and relegating what it needs for the programs and then using it in small blocks.

A good analogy is pouring an amount of water into a container that can hold it all--versus pouring it into several small containers that can hold it.  It takes you longer to pour the water into the smaller containers than it does to pour it into one large container--it's the same with the computer memory.

If you don't want to shut down the computer--which cleans out the reserved memory--then just restart it once a day.  You'll accomplish the same thing, and keep it running quicker than if you just left it to run all the time.
AB1OQ

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »

As your hard drive fills up with data, it takes longer for it to seek to find free space for data that needs to be written to the drive.  Also it takes longer for it to read out the data because it has to go through all that data already written out to the drive to find what it is looking for.  I once tried to update a windows box by using the in place upgrade function.  Wrong move...it slowed to a crawl.  Besides it left behind a windows.old file on it where everything from the old install was kept and took up a huge amount of space.  I ended up backing everything up and reinstalling windows.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2012, 06:13:56 PM »

As your hard drive fills up with data, it takes longer for it to seek to find free space for data that needs to be written to the drive. 

Not really. If you de-frag hard it will find space and write to HD quickly.

Also it takes longer for it to read out the data because it has to go through all that data already written out to the drive to find what it is looking for. 

Not at all it is called indexing.  Because of it, it can find files quickly. If drive is fragmented it can take more time to read file from multiple locations.

I once tried to update a windows box by using the in place upgrade function.  Wrong move...it slowed to a crawl.  Besides it left behind a windows.old file on it where everything from the old install was kept and took up a huge amount of space.  I ended up backing everything up and reinstalling windows.

There was a time when HD space was at a premium but today HD space is dirt cheap. If you have a old system that is running out of space, do not waste time (or strain on old HD) on a reload. Get a new bigger drive and install it and clone old data to it. You will gain space and system will run/boot/load quicker because new HD's a lot faster than old one made 3 to 5 year ago and much faster still than even older ones.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: