The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emergency 2m duplex repeater using 2 HTs  (Read 9426 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 01:58:43 AM »

See the last para of my OP.

Update - note that 70cms band is not authorised in Thailand, so a cross-band repeater solution is not feasible

Simon
VE6FGN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 08:08:54 PM »

Simplex repeater should solve your issues: we have several, dependable, simple, handy.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-662
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 07:51:29 AM »

Simplex repeater should solve your issues..

I already have a simplex repeater unit for emergency use.  But a simplex repeater is not my preferred option because it is an unfamiliar operating procedure for most hams, who are much more used to using a duplex repeater.  An emergency is not the time to be teaching people how to use a simplex repeater.

My problem might be solved soon, because a recent announcement by the Thai authorities may allow hams to use 70cms, in which case a cross-band duplex repeater can be implemented.
LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »

If you are planning to use ham frequencies i would use some kind of x band repeater.
My be the solution might be 2m->10M and 10M->2m. Other frequencies can be used, but you have to check the local bandplan.
The input frequency on the airport side is a simplex frequency (use on as far as possible from the repeater frequency as possible) the second 2M rig is programmed with the repeater frequency.
By using 10M you will get better range for your linking especially if there is terrain blocking the path.
Use commercial gear and run no more power than what you require to get the link up and running. This will prevent the radios from overheating.
Commercial equipment is also more robust for abuse.
Motorola have some lowband VHF radios that can be converted to run work on 10M. The older ones are usually simpler to convert.
If you are not into electronics and computers it would be best to get the radios converted by somebody that knows how to do it. It is complicated. See http://www.batlabs.com/
If you are lucky you might find somebody here on Eham that can sell you the two radios for 10M. The 2m radios is simpler to acquire as there is a lot of commercial equipment for 137-173 MHz on EBay and similar sites. You will also have to make or buy some interface cables. If you use Motorola  GM300 or similar you can get cheep cables of EBay for about 5$

Install the radios in pelicase or Zarges boxes http://www.zarges.com/en/packaging-transportation/boxes/
If you use Zarges boxes install a bulkhead connector for the antenna as you already got the groundplane in the box.
Have a separate box for the PSU/battery combo.
The PSU don't have to be able to run the radios if you set it up as a tickle charging, in a disaster situation when the power is unreliable battery backup is a benefit.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: