Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: software that will turn your a key  (Read 475 times)
WE7MBU

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2007, 09:48:28 PM »

on your keyboard into a morse keyer.
K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 09:56:50 PM »

I know that there are people who like software morse stuff but I think the fun of CW is sending and receiving without the use of a computer.  I love my Begali Magnetic Classic iambic paddle and I don't think I would want to trade keying for a computer.  And, copying code in your head is what CW is all about.  If you use software then it would be better just to use one of the digital modes with error correction or better yet, just use the Internet.

I had to put in my two bits for keying and listening by hand.
WE7MBU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 12:44:59 AM »

This is for practice.
KE5GHC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 05:52:58 AM »

Try CWComm, http://www.mrx.com.au/d_cwcom.htm.  You can practice offline or send to others online.  You can use the down-arrow key on the keyboard like a straight key.  I found this very hard to do effectively.  You can use the buttons on your mouse like a paddle.  I found the mouse much easier to use than the down-arrow key.  You can wire a paddle or key to your serial port.  This method is obviously the most realistic.

Good luck.

Dave
KD6FB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 08:07:42 AM »

Dave,

For the past few years I have been using an Yaesu FT-840 (occasionally) in my RV on the 75 Meter Phone Band.  I didn’t realize that there was a CW Server on the Internet.  Good Grief!  What next?  Please post the URL so I can listen to some of this new stuff.

Richard
KD6FB
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 08:09:19 AM »

I can use my KAM TNC to send CW (I use it for RTTY).  It doesn't make my keyboard act as a key but what I can do is type into a buffer file and then "send" that file.  If you're quick enough of a typer, there's very little lag.  I use this feature (and a similar feature using my CT contest logging program) to send pretypped buffer files of common contest exhanges.  This way both hands are free during a contest for logging (my real key is also live all the time and can be used for fill-ins or when the computer locks up).
NG0K

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 08:46:06 AM »

www.k1eL.com has a USB keyboard keyer chip.

Doug NG0K

73, Doug - NG0K
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: