Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crappy Video Playback  (Read 5920 times)
KJ6WEV

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:11:07 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the help with the Computers Speed. Turning it off and on all day was giving it fits. I'm just closing the lid when not in use and off at bed time.
BUT. As they say "there's always a but". I can't watch any kind of videos. They are in technical terms herky jerky and skipping moments of video and sound. Last night I put in the DVD Patton and the Windows Media Player did the same thing. I couldn't figure out why the player was having the same problem as a downloaded video. I put George C. Scott back in except I switched to Dells Power DVD player and it worked fine. So my question is how do I tune up the Windows Media Player so I can watch you guys put together a 2m/440 antenna in less than ten minutes on You Tube? All your help is very much appreciated.

Your friend
Glenn KJ6WEV
KJ6WEV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:24:04 PM »

Just to add, I have the original CD's for this computer. OPERATING SYSTEM, APPLICATION and DRIVERS AND UTILITIES.
Thanks again.
Your friend
Glenn KJ6WEV
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »

So my question is how do I tune up the Windows Media Player so I can watch you guys put together a 2m/440 antenna in less than ten minutes on You Tube? All your help is very much appreciated.

You cannot. Windows media player needs a LOT of CPU HP (and video hardware) to do well when playing a DVD or Video. Consider yourself lucky if the Dell software works okay. There is no magic cure here. Todays media player needs a LOT of hardware power  which is easily supported in todays systems.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 05:36:40 PM »

I no longer have MS Media player on this laptop.  I use VLC Player.  My telco can't seem to get enough bandwidth at my house so I now use YTD YouTube Downloader.  Now I can watch my favorite youtubes anytime, in HD (if it was placed on youtube in HD), ported to my big screen HDTV.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 05:36:15 PM »

May I ask, what the downloader does?? Is it like a huge buffer to store most of the video before playing so that your Internet provider won't be strained??
HD playbacks and even our Comcast Cable hiccups at times. I can understand that DSL would be stressed most of the times.

Fred
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »

HD playbacks and even our Comcast Cable hiccups at times. I can understand that DSL would be stressed most of the times.

Performance of cable has no real edge over DSL for streaming. DSL can be provisioned at very fast rates. It typically has faster upload rates than cable too. DSL's only "weakness" is its limited range in rural areas vs cable. In town DSL has edge, in rural areas cable gets nod.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 08:26:31 AM »

"Performance of cable has no real edge over DSL for streaming"

Boy, not in my area! My DSL was 1mb/128k. I just switched over to cable and measure 24mb/4.8mb. In addition, cable's PowerBoost technology gives you 50mb for a few seconds at the start of a download to get streaming data loaded into the buffer.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 08:49:28 AM »

"Performance of cable has no real edge over DSL for streaming"

Boy, not in my area! My DSL was 1mb/128k. I just switched over to cable and measure 24mb/4.8mb. In addition, cable's PowerBoost technology gives you 50mb for a few seconds at the start of a download to get streaming data loaded into the buffer.

And there is some areas in towns where cable plays poorly too. Point I was making that in theory DSL can be quite fast.  It just depends on how it is provisioned.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 10:47:44 AM »

I don't think Verizon even "advertises" download ADSL speeds near 20Mbs - at least not in this area.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 11:04:38 AM »

I don't think Verizon even "advertises" download ADSL speeds near 20Mbs - at least not in this area.

For the record DSL means "Digital Subscriber Line" as cable is actually a form of a DSL line. As for DSL lines there are really ADSL or SDSL. "A" stand for asynchronous (different download and up load speeds) and a "S" for synchronous (same upload and down load speeds). The is also VDSL and XDSL to name a few more.

In practice in town ADSL can be quicker on average because you are on your own "pipe" to phone switch and then backbone, With cable in town you share a pipe with many others and unless it is fiber it will reach full and everyone on pipe will be limited at times. In country "pipe" is rarely full and cable plays well there.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 04:06:48 PM »

In my area cable runs fiber to the pole out front. An RG11 sized coax runs from the pole underground to the house.

Also in my area Verizon runs ASDL on old lines that have to be repaired after nearly every serious rain storm to eliminate the hum.

In this area I'll take cable any time. Especially now that they provide TV, Internet, and telephone service in a package deal.

I suppose it all depends on the cable company and the service area.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 05:56:37 AM »

I live in a rural area and ADSL only became available here a few years ago. I use cable internet because it became available here about 9 years ago when upgraded the cable network. Before that I used ISDN. Cable plays well out here and is consistent in speed but is is maybe 35 houses on 4 miles of road here and not all of them are on cable. I know my neighbor across road is on ADSL. We can watch 2 Netflix streams and still surf Internet without any noticeable slow down.

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 12:56:22 PM »

my telco sells 40 Mb down and 1 up (home) 5 up (business) every day of the week.  problem is, with ADSL2+, that's only good to a thousand wire feet or so.  "pair bonding" or putting two pairs and two DSLAM box ports in parallel has now become "product" and is selling in limited areas.  this doesn't quite double the distance from the DSLAM to the home for a high speed, maybe 1.5-1.7X, but I'd like them to start it up on my service Wink

biggest issue is that per stream, your PC can't handle it.  unless the access runs multiple feeds at once within the PC software, and that's not common on a consumer box.  access through a browser typically taps out between 3 and 5 megabits/second on a good system.

so cable vs DSL might not mean all that much at any particular wall jack for any particular computer.  as always with tech, YMMV.

tip:  check the stats in your access modem and watch the corrected and uncorrectable error counts.  correcteds slow you a little, and uncorrectables mean your data was dumped, and you are losing big time in the speed race.  most DSL modem providers use the private IP 192.168.0.1 for the modem, and it assigns IP addresses in that address block to your hardware.  if you put http://192.168.0.1 in your browser, you should see the modem control page.  lots of errors means bad line someplace.  if you can "homerun" your modem to the demarc entrance, and split down the Ethernet from there, you will get rid of all the flaws in inside wiring.  made a huge difference on my 7-meg circuit, and my telco won't allow DIY installs at 20 and 40 Mbps, they wire the modem homerun themselves because inside wiring is, as a rule, junk.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:00:35 PM by KD0REQ » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »

my telco sells 40 Mb down and 1 up (home) 5 up (business) every day of the week.  problem is, with ADSL2+, that's only good to a thousand wire feet or so.  "pair bonding" or putting two pairs and two DSLAM box ports in parallel has now become "product" and is selling in limited areas.  this doesn't quite double the distance from the DSLAM to the home for a high speed, maybe 1.5-1.7X, but I'd like them to start it up on my service Wink

Range limitations are not quite that bad. You can get excellent speed out several thousand feet and decent speed to about 10,000 feet, beyond that it is a crap shoot dependent on line quality and a booster is needed to get much beyond this with any real speed. This is why cable does better in rural areas. I have the good fortune of being on pipe right after a distribution amp so I have excellent access up here and good signal levels even after losses with over 300 feet of buried feed line to my house under road and yard. 

KT4EP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »

well, according to Kim Kommando, you are a looser if you use a laptop or desktop.   Go figure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: