Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1x1 For Field Day?  (Read 4171 times)
K3AN

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »

Has anyone here participated in a Field Day operation using a special event 1x1 callsign who has also participated in FD using a more conventional callsign? Did you feel that the 1x1 caused any confusion among ops you were trying to contact, i.e., more than the usual percentage of them asked you to repeat your callsign? How about running a freq- did you feel that having a 1x1 callsign hurt or helped your rate, or was there no noticeable difference?
N0BOE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 04:11:53 PM »

I was part of a club station using W7I last year. It seemed that the biggest problem was when we were lost in the noise and the other party was struggling to copy-they would think that they were missing part of the callsign until I got the message across that the 1x1 is correct. When we had a clear copy, there wasn't much confusion. I think overall there wasn't much of a difference from using a regular call as far as contact rate goes.

Perhaps is makes more of a difference on CW-less characters to send=faster qso? My fist isn't up to snuff for field day operating, I was sticking with SSB and PSK only, so I don't have any info to share on that aspect.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:58:02 AM »

N0BOE, that's exactly how it turned out. There appears to be enough 1x1 stations on Field Day nowadays that it's not a puzzle to hams who hear you well; the guys who can barely hear you are the only ones who need a repeat. And many of them would probably need a repeat of a "traditional" call as well. We've already reserved the same 1x1 for next year's contest, err event.  Wink

KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »

Only worked one this year, W4V in Alabama. Didn't seem like it was a problem in his pileup, but it was on phone, too Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: