Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help to identify keyer/bug device  (Read 395 times)
G0RIF

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2007, 02:40:57 AM »

Hello all,

I recently acquired an elderly Yaesu FT901D and it came with some form of keyer/bug device - you can see a picture here http://dean-barnes.com/G0RIF/pic_001.jpg

I've plugged it into another radio and it seems to generate dots ok but dashes appear to be not setup very well as it just generates one long tone. Adjustment isn't obvious so i've left it "as is" for now.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could assist in identifying this and offering any advice as to quality/peformance.

Thanks in advance,
Dean - G0RIF

K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 08:02:49 AM »

Hi Dean....

What you have there is a plain, old single-lever bug....not an electronic keyer.

The one you show was imported (from Japan) under many different names, circa 60-70's.

Fact is, I have one myself (hi).  Had a nice clear plastic cover that went over the top, when new, but most are either cracked or missing these days.

Nice old bug that still does the job.  Have fun with it!

73, Jim/k7unz
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 09:17:31 AM »

Yep - that's a semiautomatic key, and the way you describe its operation is just how it should be working.

It makes the dots automatically by means of the horizontal pendulum.  Should make at least 10-15 dots before "running down".  Regulate the speed by means of the weights on the pendulum arm.  

Dashes?  You make them manually.

Try Googling on Vibroplex - you should be able to find step by step instructions for adjusting keys such as this.  If I had it in front of me I could probably do it in a minute or less, but it's rather harder to do it over a forum ;>)

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
G0RIF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 12:27:44 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys.

This one does have a clear plastic cover but it too is cracked and has a small piece missing.

Ok on the operating ok comment - I'll see what I can find regards some instructions for setting it up correctly.

73 de Dean, G0RIF
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 06:03:04 AM »

Well Dean, I'd be glad to send you an e-mail copy of the instructions that came with mine, but.....it's only one short page, and doesn't actually tell you anything about the adjustments (hi).

Does have one drawing of where to put your fingers to use it.

Good for a laugh as a retro instruction sheet, but that's about it.

Best bet would be to find someone in your area who uses a bug.

73, Jim/k7unz
G0RIF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 06:41:21 AM »

Jim,

Thanks for the offer.

However, I don't really have any intention of using this bug in anger being a straight key man myself (I'm very much an ocassional CW op.). I'm likely to dispose of the bug and hope it goes to a good home where it'll be better appreciated.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Regards,
Dean - G0RIF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: