Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit is officially Dead (again).  (Read 19861 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 07:50:31 AM »

TUT:  If I was belligerent or made my opinion(s) in a ridiculing way, I would understand the nasty response(s).  But, I expressed myself exactly as I have here.  I don't understand this attitude either.

I would love to see Heath back in business.  I have no idea what the profit margin is for people like Hendricks and the other QRP kit vendors but I've always thought that if one company would have a line supplying simple kits, it might fly.  

But, again, there are many factors involved here which includes overhead and salaries that might torpedo such a startup. And, from what I have learned, the service for those who can't assemble Leggo eats up a tremendous amount of resources!

We definitely need more jobs in this country!

KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2013, 08:08:50 AM »

tubes:  first, resurrect Sylvania.  then resurrect Old Heathkit.  then resuscitate A5SUP.

I don't think you'll see anything hollow-state from the new Heathkit, unless it's ceramic.  the QC issues, the cost of basic parts, the dependable supply of all the above, just not worth it if you want to rebuild an iconic brand.

it would be like resurrecting Studebaker 50s models and meeting current EPA and DOT standards.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2013, 07:21:55 AM »

Resurrecting an iconic brand doesn't mean that the old products have to be resurrected as well.  And even if they were to base the looks on the old products, the innards of the new products can be as state-of-the-art as the manufacturer wants them to be.

Absolutely nothing says that they would have to bring back tube gear.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2013, 08:58:49 AM »

CJS:  Excellent point!  It would be foolish for a company to design and produce their gear based on tube designs.  For all practical purposes, the only thing that is presently locked into using tubes are linear amplifiers. 

Inroads are being made in this field and as soon as the design engineers get their act together, the only tube linear amps will be the old ones.

As one who has gone through the very large tubes in receivers era, down to the "peanut" tubes, into solid state with a life expectancy that was very uncertain to the present day solid state chips that have millions of transistors on one substrate and seem to last forever.

History is repeating itself once again and in the near future, the flaky sold-state linears we see now will be a thing of the past.

I think ham radio will be quite interesting when this happens.  No more amp tuning mistakes, no more 50% operating - 50% in the shop thing. 

Al - K8AXW
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »

Anybody remember Charlie Brown, Lucy and the Football?

How many times will hams fall for this fond Heathkit memory?
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2013, 01:09:46 PM »

Audiophiles continue to support vacuum tube audio.

Dynakit was resurrected a few years ago, and virtually contines to offer transformers, parts,
PC boards, and chassis for the restorers of 1960s and 1970s Dynaco kits, as well as new kits.
http://www.dynakitparts.com

Dynakit, Inc
55 Walman Ave.
Clifton, NJ 07011, USA

Dynakit® Vacuum Tube Audio Products is a newly formed division of AFC, Corp., (est. 1983)
an O.E.M. manufacturer of formed sheet metal components, enclosures and electrical control systems.
Our 8000 sq. ft. facility is located in Clifton, New Jersey, approximately 10 miles west of New York City.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 01:21:13 PM by W9GB » Logged
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »

TUT:  If I was belligerent or made my opinion(s) in a ridiculing way, I would understand the nasty response(s).  But, I expressed myself exactly as I have here.  I don't understand this attitude either.

I would love to see Heath back in business.  I have no idea what the profit margin is for people like Hendricks and the other QRP kit vendors but I've always thought that if one company would have a line supplying simple kits, it might fly.  

But, again, there are many factors involved here which includes overhead and salaries that might torpedo such a startup. And, from what I have learned, the service for those who can't assemble Leggo eats up a tremendous amount of resources!

We definitely need more jobs in this country!

I think you were taking my post personally... it was not a personal comment. We agree.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2013, 07:51:26 AM »

TUT:  Nothing personal, taken or offered, ....just responding to your comment.  Indeed, we agree!
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2014, 08:20:55 AM »

Anybody remember Charlie Brown, Lucy and the Football?

How many times will hams fall for this fond Heathkit memory?

Funny!.. Well put, too.  Cheesy
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2014, 08:23:29 AM »

Absolutely nothing says that they would have to bring back tube gear.

Definitely.  And thank goodness! 
Been there, done that, drained the wallet, got the T-shirt, and glad we moved on.

G4FUT

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2014, 01:54:37 AM »

History is repeating itself once again and in the near future, the flaky sold-state linears we see now will be a thing of the past.

And on another thread (or perhaps forum) I see that Tokyp-Hi-Power linears has closed shop.

Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: