Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit is officially Dead (again).  (Read 19448 times)
PBPP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 11:57:05 PM »

I'm not surprised. 
Saw it coming when everyone got all excited about Heathkit possibly coming back.

~ Mitch ~
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 07:22:14 AM »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that no 'kit' manufacturer is going to produce a kit that has B+ voltages in it.

Just a guess.

Bzzzzzzt = Lawsuite

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 03:07:09 PM »

Website is active:

http://www.heathkit.com/heathkit-faq.html
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »

Whoever these owners of Heathkit are, they are talking in circles: Who owns Heathkit? - The Heath Company. 

Until we see real products this is what we used to call in the computer industry VAPORWARE.

I filled out their questionnaire and immediately got hit with a lot of extra spam.  Coincidence?
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 09:47:51 PM »

I'm surprised that someone like MFJ didn't jump on this opportunity.  Imagine being able to legally own the Heathkit brand, instead of Vectronics or similar, to market kits?  I'd sure love to know who the man behind the curtain is.

pete
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 05:13:28 AM »

...I filled out their questionnaire and immediately got hit with a lot of extra spam.  Coincidence?

I also filled out the questionnaire, but I didn't get increased spam.  AAMOF, I haven't gotten anything from the Heath company at all.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 03:20:39 AM »

I'm still anxiously awaiting the Knightkit survey with crossed fingers. Wink
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 06:48:10 PM »

I was under the impression from long ago that it took at least one year to whip up, debug, write and approve manuals, and all that truck for a new Heathkit.  I personally don't expect anything until next spring or summer from these guys, and then I'll pay attention.

there are more stringent FCC cert tests required now, too, and you have to build or contract out a lab for that.

be nice if it works out and they have something I want.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 08:56:07 PM »

Quote from: W1JKA
I'm still anxiously awaiting the Knight-Kit survey with crossed fingers.
Jim -

Guess I could drive over to 25th Avenue in Melrose Park to see the old plant/store
(formerly shown on cover of pale green/white manuals).
Some days, I think I live next to an archeological site (former Chicago electronics industry), after everyone left.  
Then you get surprised, with a few supposed rebirths.

Steve Reyer's Knight-Kit web page
http://www.mequonsteve.com/knight-kit/

Allied Radio Catalog Archives
http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:03:05 PM by W9GB » Logged
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 04:26:20 AM »

Amazingly, I just got this email from Heathkit. I filled out the survery and never heard from them until today -

Dear Heathkit Insider,

The response to our survey has been formidable. There's no question that many people – many thousands of people – want Heathkit to succeed and flourish. We thank you for your good will and interest.

We promised not to clutter your email inbox with noisy communications you don't want, and we've kept that promise. Meanwhile remember that if you are a Facebook user, a good way to stay up-to-date is to join our Facebook page and "Like" us, at
    http://www.facebook.com/heathcompany

Later this week there will be a special "Ask Me Anything" event on Reddit.com where a member of Heathkit's Board of Directors will be available for an hour to chat live and answer questions about our progress and plans.

On Friday 20-Dec-2013 at 8pm EST / 5pm PST (which is Saturday 21-Dec 0100 UTC), please join us at
    http://www.reddit.com/user/HeathCompany/submitted

When the event starts, a link to it will appear at the top of that page.

(Please remember Reddit is an open, unmoderated public Internet forum -- we do not control who participates or what anyone else says in that public location. The usual Internet etiquette and safety rules apply.)

We're thankful for your patience and enthusiasm. And we look forward to seeing you on Reddit this Friday evening.

Sincerely,

The Heathkit Management Team

--

Heathkit (R) is a registered trademark of Heath Company. (c) 2013 All rights reserved. Heathkit(R) in all uses, the Heathkit name, the Heathkit logos and slogans, and "Heathkit(R) Educational Systems" are internationally registered trademarks of Heath Company. This message was only sent to people who opted in to the Heathkit Insiders email list.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 05:19:41 AM »

Still waiting for Knight Kit info here    Sad
W4HTH

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 06:07:34 AM »

I got an email from heathkit last night { 12-18 } saying they are going to be answering questions on reddit friday the 20th at 8:00 pm est,
still alive or just kicking ? we'll see.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 08:21:30 PM »

well, they held the AIA on Reddit.  there were just a few new details...expect something first half of 2014.  principal owners will come out of the closet when there are kits.  very cautious with few answers, but "a board member" did say there are two ways of doing SDR now, and they think both of them are wrong.  most of the "what ya doin' when ya doin'" they have gotten was from hams, but they want to offer 8 categories of kits across the lines they used to do.  they sort of intimated they have some outside designers.  a number of participants snarled out of the AIA saying there was nothing there, table of lawyers going over the answers, yada yada.  interested in open software.  everybody on the board has their ticket, as do lots of others.  absolutely no replies to questions on specific products, SMT versus through-hole versus pre-assembled with a hank of wire and a case, etc. before I called it an hour.

overall impression: private money being private money cagey, I suspect they would like to come out of the gate with something plenty interesting, but do not want to commit before they know if they can (a) make one in a row, (b) get whatever so Joe Screwdriver can duplicate it, (c) not get whaled by copycats or patent lawyers in the process.  don't screw it up, I guess, is the masthead on their letterhead.  they tease well Wink

see the next episode next week in this theater, in which special powers will appear, etc.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:37:16 PM by KD0REQ » Logged
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 04:34:19 AM »

well, they held the AIA on Reddit.

Interesting. Thank you for taking the time to provide that summary.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 09:01:29 AM »

"Heathkit is officially Dead (again)"

I can just see the mad doctor's assistant leaning over the table saying, "It's alive, Master!"  Only to have the eyes close once again.  Roll Eyes

I've been able to calculate that I've assembled very close to $2500.00 worth of Heathkits in my ham career and there hasn't ever been anything that gave me more joy.  Even today, I still think Heath was an incredible source of ham gear, filling a much needed and appreciated niche.

However, I have no illusions of Heathkit or anything resembling Heathkit ever being resurrected again.  We live in a different era now which would make this almost impossible to succeed.

I was recently told to "go to hell" when I expressed this same opinion and essentially told to stop the blasphemy! 

Apparently there are still those who want Heathkit back so bad they're putting it into an almost religious category.

Two facts are very apparent.  Elvis is dead.  So is Heathkit.  As a true Heathkit admirer, may I suggest we move on?

Al - K8AXW

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: