Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headphone Recommendation for Dxing  (Read 4999 times)
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 09:32:44 PM »

The most comfortable is my Bose Quiet Comfort 15 but sometimes the audio is too low with my K3.  Haven't yet foud ne with a louder audio but I like the noise cancelling due to the background qrm at my qth (a/c, son screaming, tv, people talking, etc.).

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 06:40:02 AM »

For me, now, nothing beats the Bose QC-15s with active noise reduction. That's one of my secret weapons to working the weak ones. ANR is worth its weight in gold to me and the QC-15s have perfected the technology. I even had a friend machine an adapter for me to screw in a Heil MB-1 boom microphone so I can use it as a full contesting headset. The problem is the MB-1 fails after light-duty use in about 10 months.

I've used almost every headset Heil has ever made and every single one of them except the Pro-Set Plus has failed mechanically or electrically within a year. Heil's microphones are the best...but he goes ultra-cheap on his headphones and it shows.

I know..I bought his noise-cancelling headset when they first came out..man are they a piece of work..Like a fool I sold my Pro-Set Plus when I first got these..big mistake! The 1/8" plug-in keeps falling out, or partially out when I'm using them..I DO have his PR-781 mic..real nice..So..PR-781=Nice! Noise-cancelling headset..not so nice Angry

73'..Tom N3ZC
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 10:49:13 AM »

Another vote for the Yamaha CM500.
I have 5 sets of headphones that I have collected over the years and the CM500 is the most comfortable and best sounding of the Lot. The Mic section produces great Audio, sounds better than my $180 SM-20 Mic.   Total cost for CM500 is $45 and they are electret so it also works if you need the Mic for an Icom. Take a look at the eham reviews and you will see that I am not the only one who thinks they are great.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:51:34 AM by KD8MJR » Logged
NS8Q

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 11:55:37 AM »

Thanks for everybody's input.  There are many good ideas and thoughts and I will slowly digest them and see what will work best for my situation.

Chris/KC8CAJ
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 04:47:27 PM »

I can only reiterate that active noise reduction is one of the biggest weapons you can have in your arsenal, regardless what brand of headset you use. All constant-level ambient noise is gone, including loud amp blowers, leaving you to concentrate on the signals. My only wish is that I could have a phase-reversal switch on my QC-15s.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 05:04:56 PM »

I can only reiterate that active noise reduction is one of the biggest weapons you can have in your arsenal, regardless what brand of headset you use. All constant-level ambient noise is gone,

You must not be married. I have tried active noise noise reduction and hate it. My wife calls "Suppers On" and I do not hear it, I miss Supper. She does not call twice. The dog whines, and I miss it and I got dog pee on my shack floor. The phone rings and I miss it -- well you get the idea.. I only wear phones that allow me to hear what is going on around me - like if the house is burning down and someone is hollering fire, or maybe the wife fell down and is crying for help and you can not hear her because you are working that rare one.....  Cheesy

If your amp is too loud - you need a quieter amp, not noise reduction headphones.......

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:17:31 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 08:03:48 PM »

If your amp is too loud - you need a quieter amp, not noise reduction headphones.......
Stan K9IUQ

This is why I like the earbuds; I like to hear what is going on in my house, whether it is my wife calling for me or my kids beating the hell out of each other. When I put my Heil ProSet on and someone taps me on the shoulder I jump out of my skin!

paul
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 08:46:41 PM »

You must not be married. I have tried active noise noise reduction and hate it. My wife calls "Suppers On" and I do not hear it, I miss Supper. She does not call twice. ....

If your wife doesn't come get you for dinner you need a better wife Grin My XYL knows that if I don't answer she'll come in and tap me on the shoulder. Actually, with ANR, you can hear non-steady-state noise quite clearly. Voices are subdued but audible and anything that rapidly changes pitch/intensity comes through. Droning sounds do not, which is why they're fantastic for air travel. Pure quiet.

My amp has a blower that sounds like a 747 on takeoff (Ameritron AL-1200) but I barely notice it's on when I'm under the ANRs. No kids, no dogs, no worries. Just plenty of DX.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 08:01:06 AM »

I like active noise reducing headphones to eliminate room noise, the family TV, phones ringing and the amp fan.  They are wide spectrum but his does not seem to be a problem for me.  I use a pair of Sony but the other big audio names market them as well.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 08:20:02 AM »

This is why I like the earbuds; I like to hear what is going on in my house,

When I put my Heil ProSet on and someone taps me on the shoulder I jump out of my skin!

paul

I too used earbuds for a while. The pair I had were pretty good at eliminating surrounding sounds. I walk the dog every day and usually listen to my ipod while walking. I definitely want to hear what is going on around me. The earbuds reduced surrounding sound too much for my liking. Last year I got a pair of over the ear Sennheiser HD 238 phones. These are "open aire" and allow you to hear surrounding sounds. They were perfect for walking the dog, and ipod use. After trying them in my shack I found they were excellent and most important extremely comfortable for long periods of time. They are around $60 at Amazon.

My wife has been told to never tap me on the shoulder while I have the phones on for the exact reason you described. IMO noise cancelling headphones can be dangerous and I would never use them in the shack. DX is not that important.

Stan K9IUQ
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 04:35:38 PM »

You must not be married. I have tried active noise noise reduction and hate it. My wife calls "Suppers On" and I do not hear it, I miss Supper. She does not call twice. The dog whines, and I miss it and I got dog pee on my shack floor. The phone rings and I miss it -- well you get the idea.. I only wear phones that allow me to hear what is going on around me - like if the house is burning down and someone is hollering fire, or maybe the wife fell down and is crying for help and you can not hear her because you are working that rare one.....  Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ

+1 on this. I hate noise cancelling headphones it's just too much of a disconnection from the real world.  My wife or Son could be screaming out for help while I blissfully play Ham Radio !!  No thanks, that's just not the responsible thing to do.
K3GC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 06:48:19 PM »

I like the Heil Pro Set Plus.  They are comfortable, cancel a little noise but I can still hear what I need to.  I use the HC4 element and frequently get compliments on audio quality. Unfortunately, they are no longer in production  Sad
Gene KW4GC
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: