Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How should I ID?  (Read 4006 times)
N7BMW

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »

I have an 8 land call sign.  I do not want to change it (vanity).  I now live in 7 land.  This confuses station operators.  They turn their antennas to 8 land.  I tried to id with a slash 7 and was immediately mis-identified as a mobile. 

What is the correct way to identify without the confusion?
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 01:09:45 PM »

The legal way to ID is with your callsign.  Anything beyond that is not required,
though there may be some conventions in certain circumstances.

I'm in the same situation - a "6" living in the 7th district.  How I ID varies depending
on the situation.

On VHF FM I just give my callsign.   If they can hear me, the know I'm local.

On HF I generally just give my callsign.  But I operate mostly on 40m or 80m, where someone
turning the beam is much less common.

In a contest where location makes a difference I'll usually add "/7" to my callsign, otherwise
I don't.  This causes a bit of confusion on Field Day, where they sometimes hear "OR" and
think "Orange" instead of "Oregon", but I don't worry about it.  In a QSO party, however,
where Oregon and California would count differently, I add the designator.

Otherwise I don't bother most of the time, and I've never had someone mistake me for
being mobile.  There might be some times, such as a DX list by prefix, that it makes a
difference, but that isn't the type of operating I tend to do.  On phone it might help to add
a reference to your location when you call, but I generally wouldn't bother with it on CW.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »

I lived outside my call district for years, and I never found a "good" way to do it.  I finally gave in and changed my call.  It's just too painful to always ID your location and constantly repeat your QTH or grid square due to the confusion it causes. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »

I'm an "out of my call area" operator and have been for 24 years now.

On HF CW, I don't do anything except use my callsign.

On phone, I usually just state where I am, e.g., "This is WB2WIK in Los Angeles calling..."

On VHF CW (like 6m) I use WB2WIK/6 if the band's open to let people know where the band is open to.  If the band's closed, I drop the /6.

But it's all up to you.  Legally you don't have to do anything except use your callsign.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 03:41:09 PM »

The standard call location numbers have not been significant for many years now. I received my license in New York and now live in Mississippi. I give my call and then when it is answered I simply give my QTH. I have not had any problems doing this, because after giving my call I always give my QTH this allows the fellow with the beams to know my location immediately. I have had this call for more then 50 years and would become tongue tied trying to use another call.

73s

K2OWK
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 04:05:58 PM »

On HF: I just state " CQ CQ CQ K1WJ State of Arizona calling" - works for me - never a misunderstanding. 73 Cool
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »

What about announcing your grid square like sat operators?

CQ CQ CQ de K0JEG DM69nf
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:37:14 PM »

The contest "standard" seems to be either:

. . . W7/W6ABC  [for W6ABC operating from Oregon]

or

. . . W6ABC/W7

Either of those is unambiguous, and should get your information across to the other ham.

N1MM Logger understands "W7/W6ABC".  I don't know if it understands "W6ABC/W7".

Charles
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:39:05 PM »

The contest "standard" seems to be either:
. . . W7/W6ABC  [for W6ABC operating from Oregon]
or
. . . W6ABC/W7
Either of those is unambiguous, and should get your information across to the other ham.
N1MM Logger understands "W7/W6ABC".  I don't know if it understands "W6ABC/W7".
        Charles

USA hams operating in the States don't have to use the "W".  If I'm portable or mobile in Texas, I might identify as K7KBN/5, or K7KBN mobile 5.  Or just K7KBN mobile.  Or just K7KBN.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 06:16:50 AM »

Out of curiosity... are they manually turning their antenna towards 8 land, or is their computer (logging program interfaced to rotator) turning it for them based only on the call? I know this can be set up in some fancy pants installations.

I know several of the logging programs that interface with rotator electronics, can accept a manual setting of "K8BMW's real QTH is in 7 land", but it seems obtuse for you to try to enforce that on the other guy who doesn't know how to do it.
N4RSS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 08:00:26 AM »

Just as long as you don't operate like "whiskey two november quebec, portable whiskey 7, checking DX propagation to the South Pacific, beaming the South Pacific, checking dx propagation, hello dx, calling dx, checking propagation to the South Pacific, beaming the South Pacific, this is whiskey two november quebec, portable whiskey ...."

for 3 minutes, and unless he's been living in a tent for many years, no longer "portable", let alone "beaming" with his dipole
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »

If your 7 address is the one in the FCC database you don't need to add portable.  I'm a 4 in Maine and I don't bother giving portable, however when I operate in Virginia I usually say I'm portable.  Lots of people look me up on QRZ and if they see Maine when I'm in Virginia they always ask why.
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 11:46:41 AM »

True story. One afternoon I'm on 15 meter SSB and I called CQ with my beam toward the southwest. A young ham in Texas replies. We're chatting along and he asks, "How come you have a 4-callsign and you're in Kentucky?"

"Because Kentucky is part of the 4th call area," I replied.

"Are you sure?" he asks.

"Yes, I'm quite sure. Before World War II, Kentucky was in the 9th call area but that was charged in about 1946 or '47. We've been in 4-land since," I explained.

"Well, I thought for sure that Kentucky was someplace out west and that you'd have a 7-callsign," he said.

Please, educators, put geography back in our schools.

73, N4KZ
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 07:11:05 AM »

Hey, KY used to be the western frontier Smiley

I have moved around a bunch and never changed my original callsign. One solution to the original problem is just sign your call with no "/" and to operate a lot. Once people get used to hearing you, they will eventually remember where you "really are".

Tor
N4OGW/5 (but only 40 miles outside of 4-land)

KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 07:17:21 PM »

I was told years ago once you lose the first callsign you ever had, everything after that is mute...  Hence I have kept my 4 call through living in three other area's and have no intention of changing now.  The op at the other end of the conversation will figure out I am out of area when I mention that I now live in Minnesota.

Mike
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: