Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ? about Contests, FISTS, or SK QSO's  (Read 559 times)
AF4XK

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2007, 09:21:02 AM »

Hello,

I don't participate in Contests and am not a member of FISTS or SK (straight key) clubs.

I frequently hear them calling CQ TEST, or CQ FISTS, or CQ SK.

Are they ONLY looking for a QSO from a person involved in the Contest or members of Fist or SK...

or can anyone respond to their CQ?

thanks.

chuck af4xk
N0UY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 10:24:06 AM »

Chuck,  CQ TEST is almost always a contest where they are looking for the appropriate exchange for the particular contest they are involved in.  CQ FISTS they are typically looking for other FISTS members but are open to other contacts as far as I know.  CQ SK I am unfamiliar with other than Straight Key Night around New Year's Eve.  If you are hearing it at other times it must be another organization of some kind that I am not aware of.

Hope that helps.  After all, I've really only been involved in CW as a prefered mode for about five years now so there is alot for me to learn yet.

Best Wishes,  Ray
EXWA2SWA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 10:55:38 AM »

Ray is on the money about FISTS, CQ FISTS is the call for members to respond, but most of us are happy for a QSO and a chance to recruit. SKCC members too are primarily interested in QSO's with other members, but I'm sure will welcome any Straight Key operator.

Many contesters will coach a newcomer through the exchange - it's all points to them!

Hope to CU on CW,
Jim NS5M
Fists 11202
SKCC 318  
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 11:10:02 AM »

Yes they will accept contacts from non-members.  They just get a different number of points.  So feel free to look up the contest exchange and contact them.
VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:52:22 AM »

When someone calls CQ FISTS, he is usually looking for other FISTS members, most likely to collect FISTS numbers. Me, if I were calling CQ FISTS and you answered even though you're not a member, I would still be glad to chat with you. Some other guys, however, might think you're wasting their time.

As for CQ SK this could mean:
a) He is operating on the annual straight key night.
b) He is a member of the SKCC (straight key century club) and wants to find other SKCC members. SKCC members tend to send CQ SKCC rather than CQ SK, but some do use CQ SK.
c) He is trying to work someone in Saskatchewan (the province's two letter code is SK).
d) He is trying to work a "silent key". :-)

The SKCC holds sprints a couple of times a month; operators in these contests tend to send CQ SKS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: