Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed building while driving?  (Read 5372 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2012, 10:14:40 AM »

Hi, all,

I have a long commute, so I'm thinking about listening to some Mores CDs or MP3s while driving. Is this reasonable, or is it going to get me into more trouble than a cellphone?

Thanks,
- Steve (KF2IO.)

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 10:34:51 AM »

It's no more illegal than listening to the RF radio, however it is likely to require more concentration and certainly you shouldn't be trying to write down what you hear. Having a CD with short, common words sent at high speed is a good way to learn to copy in your head.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 02:05:53 PM »

I should have been specific that "trouble" meant distraction. But I can try it and see if I can pay attention and drive.

Thanks,
- Steve (KF2IO.)

73, - Steve WX2S.
KB9ILT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »

I use an iPhone app called Ham Morse during my commutes. It's great for increasing receive speed. I started using it in January when my comfort speed was in the 15-20 wpm range. Now anything below 30 wpm seems slow and I copy pretty well at 35 wpm. Above 40 wpm is just machine gun fire to me, but 35 wpm used to sound just as fast.

Keep in mind that this is with Ham Morse, not on the air. Ham Morse sends perfect code without QSB and QRN, so on the air reception is not as good. Also, you will need to work on your sending as well. My sending speed is only in the 20-25 wpm range with paddles and hasn't increased much since January. Just need more practice with them! Haven't tried that while driving, but it might work.....

Here's  a link to my mini-review of Ham Morse from back in January.
http://kb9ilt.com/?p=492

Good Luck!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »

I've operated mobile CW while driving for about 35 years and it never got me into any trouble.

No microphone, a cop can't tell what you're doing.  Plus I don't think it's actually unlawful, anyway.

I'm not the slightest bit distracted working code while driving.  Listening to the news or a sports game on the broadcast radio, for me, is a whole lot more distracting! Tongue
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »

The ARRL website has mp3 files of machine sent code from the pages of QST. It is on the W1AW code transmissions page.

paul
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 04:23:18 AM »

I've operated mobile CW while driving for about 35 years and it never got me into any trouble.

I've been doing it for three days now.  :->   FUN!   Worked C31CT this morning on 20m CW driving to work.  :>

I find I can only answer a call when traffic is fairly light, and I definitely can't handle any ragchewing, "R 5NN TU" is about the most chat I can manage.  Smiley   But it's been a LOT of fun so far.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 01:58:10 PM »

I've been doing it for three days now.  :->   FUN!   Worked C31CT this morning on 20m CW driving to work.  :>

I find I can only answer a call when traffic is fairly light, and I definitely can't handle any ragchewing, "R 5NN TU" is about the most chat I can manage.  Smiley   But it's been a LOT of fun so far.

I've had hour-long ragchews while motoring along the roads.  It's no different than pickup up a mike and talking...but for me, it's (CW) easier because there's no mike cord and nothing in my hand at all.  The paddle sits at elbow level between the front seats and is very comfortable, and if I need two hands for something while sending, I just stop sending for a few seconds and then resume later.  Nobody cares.  Easier than having to drop a mike or getting the mike cord tangled up in the steering wheel... Tongue
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »

Hi, all,

I have a long commute, so I'm thinking about listening to some Mores Cd's or MP3s while driving. Is this reasonable, or is it going to get me into more trouble than a cellphone?

Thanks,
- Steve (KF2IO.)

Steve,

It is an excellent method, I know from many years ago, it was the way I learned QRQ copy by head with mag tapes. CD and MP3 or computers for the masses  didn't exist at that time.

I made the magtapes with the aid of a teletype punched tape to CW converter, that I designed and build for the Dutch hamclub station PA0AA CW course transmitted each week on Friday nights, advanced and beginners.  No microcontrollers at that time, just hard wired logic and 1024 bit shift registers. Ruit Hora.

My advice is:Just take a text in your preferred language , double or triple each word,
just just just like like like this this this and put in on tape in your preferred speed and side tone frequency. Just make the speed so high that you copy 60% and there you go.

When you have problems making an MP3 file sent me the proposed text at my amsat address accompanied with your mail address and I return you the file in Morse code MP3, with the specified speed, tone pitch,  and number of desired repetitions per word.

Wim PAoWV
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 08:48:51 AM by PA0WV » Logged
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 02:48:36 PM »

No microphone, a cop can't tell what you're doing.  Plus I don't think it's actually unlawful, anyway.

I'm not the slightest bit distracted working code while driving.  Listening to the news or a sports game on the broadcast radio, for me, is a whole lot more distracting! Tongue
I remember reading a bit, a long time ago, about some hams that put a key in parallel with their horn switch and Morse-honked to each other as they drove along.  Grin

BTW, I've got some of Gordon West's speed-building CDs on order from Universal Radio. I'll give them a try. I also need to practice sending -- I never had that much time with a keyer to begin with, and 30 years QRT hasn't helped my skill level.  Embarrassed

- Steve (KF2IO.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:54:48 PM by KF2IO » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 02:51:05 PM »

My advice is:Just take a text in your preferred language , double or triple each word,
just just just like like like this this this and put in on tape in your preferred speed and side tone frequency. Just make the speed so high that you copy 60% and there you go.

When you have problems making an MP3 file sent me the proposed text at my amsat address accompanied with your mail address and I return you the file in Morse code MP3, with the specified speed, tone pitch,  and number of desired repetitions per word.

Wim PAoWV
That's That's That's awfully awfully awfully nice nice nice of of of you, you, you, Wim! Wim! Wim!  Grin Grin Grin

- Steve (KF2IO)

73, - Steve WX2S.
VK5DO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 08:53:11 PM »

I came up with the same idea about a week ago.  Here's what I did.

Go to a website that has the lyrics of all the theme tunes for old TV show. 
Copy the text into the "record" feature of "Just Learn Morse Code".
Convert the text to a WAV file of 22WPM CW. 
Import into iTunes. 
Create a playlist of about 10 of you favorites
Burn them to a CD.

Now I've got the theme songs for things like Gilligans Island, Green Acres, Top Cat, The Adam's Family, The Flintsones etc all in 22WPM on CD that I play in my car on the way home from work.

I like it 'cause the text is something you know really well (unproductive childhood some might say) so there are plenty of clues but it's fast enough to challenge me.

Could do the same with favorite songs or anything really I guess.

Dene
VK5DO
N0BLT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 08:02:03 AM »

Now I've got the theme songs for things like Gilligans Island, Green Acres, Top Cat, The Adam's Family, The Flintsones etc all in 22WPM on CD that I play in my car on the way home from work.

HILARIOUS!  I MUST try this!  You could add spurts of the music also!    
I hope you've got Petticoat Junction in your mix!

Or perhaps the text to Uncle Joe's corny jokes.  (I always thought HE was the light of that show)

in case you DON'T have it...
Come ride the little train that is rolling down the tracks to the junction.
(Petticoat Junction)
Forget about your cares, it is time to relax at the junction.
(Petticoat Junction)

Lotsa curves, you bet. Even more when you get
To the junction, Petticoat Junction.

There's a little hotel called the Shady Rest at the junction.
(Petticoat Junction)
It is run by Kate, come and be her guest at the junction.
(Petticoat Junction)
And that's Uncle Joe, he's a movin' kind of slow at the junction,
Petticoat Junction.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:08:26 AM by N0BLT » Logged
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »

I hope you've got Petticoat Junction in your mix!

Lotsa curves, you bet. Even more when you get
To the junction, Petticoat Junction.

There's a little hotel called the Shady Rest at the junction.
(Petticoat Junction)
It is run by Kate, come and be her guest at the junction.
(Petticoat Junction)
And that's Uncle Joe, he's a movin' kind of slow at the junction,
Petticoat Junction.

Wonder who writes that kind of children tales.
They often have a dirty mind background, so does this one. Can't be coincidentally.

May be the guys that compose them have a sexual attraction to children.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 05:51:13 AM »

Follow-up: I tried listening to the Gordon West CD in my car, but found it dangerously distracting. So my practice will be limited to home. YMMV.

Regards,
- Steve (WX2S, ex-KF2IO)

73, - Steve WX2S.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: