Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile CW  (Read 484 times)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2007, 01:18:59 PM »

Last evening I worked a /m station on 20CW.  He was taking a while to reply every time I turned it to him, and I figured he was busy driving.

Then, he told me it was taking a while because he was reading back what he wrote down while copying me!  This, while driving in traffic.

I sent back, "Don't do tt while ur driving, thats nuts.  73..."

I didn't want to be in QSO with somebody while they killed themselves.

I work /m CW and have for more than 20 years, but I've certainly never tried writing anything down and reading it back while doing so!  /m CW is for "head copy" only, and driving takes priority over copy.

Please, if you're not extremely comfortable with code and can't listen to it like a voice language and understand it just as well, either don't try /m CW, or do it only while parked!

WB2WIK/6
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 03:41:08 PM »

Frankly Steve, it makes me nervous to work a CW mobile.  I can picture myself wondering why they didn't come back, and then days later learn of their involvement in a fatal traffic accident.  I would always feel that somehow I was to blame for taking their attention away from the driving chore.

Nothing against CW mobile guys, it just makes ME too nervous to work you when you're on the move.  Park it and we'll talk!

73, Jim/k7unz
W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 03:20:36 AM »

The ultimate CW mobile QSO that I ever had was with a guy cruising I-5 at 75MPH typing on a keyboard that was bolted to his steering wheel. Nothing has ever topped that! If I remember correctly, it was W6AM.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 08:24:12 AM »

I actually like operating /m CW, it's more peaceful and relaxing than phone.  And I don't get the mike cord tangled in the steering wheel (or anywhere else) since there isn't any mike or cord.

Without having to worry about "background noise," I can operate while playing the stereo as loud as I want, or drive with the windows open.  It's easier to hear weak signals, using narrow filters.  Lots of advantages.

I just can't picture trying to do it and writing stuff down!  That's the dangerous part, and it's amazing anyone would even try it.

Back in '89-90 at the peak of cycle 22, I worked more DX from the car than from home because I was often in traffic during peak DXing hours.   Thankfully, that's no longer the case...

WB2WIK/6
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 11:55:04 AM »

Awh, come on guys.  

You know you shouldn't be messing with Darwin's theory by warning others of the obvious hazards.

Sometimes you just have to let Mother Nature run her course.
KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 05:02:49 AM »

When I am mobile and working CW, I'm not the one driving.  Ops that drive and try to hold CW QSO's while tooling down the road at 70 mph are asking for it.

Different strokes...
K9FN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 12:24:21 PM »

I work MOBILE exclusively, and most of it on CW... my question is how I should properly sign my call.  I have been signing /m but I just heard someone say that is not right, since I am not in the U.K.  For 50 years I have been used to mobile stations signing /m, but now that Great Britain has "M" as a prefix should I be signing in a different manner?  And increasingly I hear stations in other countries signing the county of location prefix first, and then their callsign... so, if in the U.K. I thought I would sign M/K9FN (or G/K9FN)... and K9FN/M would still be appropriate for my mobile operation here in the states.

I welcome the collected wisdom of this forum.

-Dave-
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 08:24:51 AM »

If you were in the UK, I believe the call you'd have to use would be something like "G3/your call".  I've operated mobile CW for years (decades, actually), using "/M" without any questions from FCC or anyone.  Earlier than that I operated Maritime Mobile from USS Kitty Hawk, signing "K7KBN/MM" which, at least in the '60s, was the correct format for a Maritime Mobile station's call.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 11:05:50 AM »

97/119(c) says in part: No self-assigned indicator may conflict with any other indicator specified by the FCC Rules or with any prefix assigned to another country.

There is no FCC requirement to identify your station as mobile so you could just leave it off the call sign.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: