Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power supply  (Read 4916 times)
NT6U

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2012, 04:41:00 PM »

What is the difference from a linear power supply to a switching P/S.?  I wish to connect a Kenwood 480hx using portable power from a Honda 2000I generator, outdoor portable station.  I'm wondering if one is better choice for this application than the other.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 04:35:53 AM »

Of course the weight and size of the switching supply with a similar current rating will be a fraction of that of a linear supply.  If you were intending to operate the lower bands - 160 and 80 - you might find the spurious signals generated by the switching supply to be a problem.  For the higher bands, that should not be a problem, depending on the supply you use.  Some are worse than others in that respect.  Use of a single wire or balanced feedline might make that more of a problem.  Since you said it's a 480 Hx, a linear supply for that current will be a bit of a monster weight-wise.  Have you actually found a switching supply that can provide the needed current at 13.8V?

73, Floyd - K8AC
NT6U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »

No.  I have not chosen a P/S for this set up yet. However I do own a Astron  RS-70M for the shack at home, yet she's a little heavy for portable use.  My usage is for camping out, 4X4 vehicles, remote location/s, with some 12 volt headroom. Weight only matters for keeping set up as simple as possible. I again will use a Honda generator.  I am not clear on one types advantage over the other. 
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 10:41:31 AM »

Something like the Alinco DM-330MVT perhaps?
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7397

It's switch mode but has a noise shift feature that you can use to tune the switching frequency out. I've used one - or at least a European version - on Field Day, and I like it. I think it might be ideal for you.

I would not immediately recommend it for a remote-control location, since the noise shift has to be regulated by manually turning a dial on the front panel, but some of the reviews here say that they either haven't noticed birdies or easily cured it by adding a capacitor on the output.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 01:47:19 PM »

I agree that the DM-330 is a good supply, but it won't come close to handling the current required by the 200 watt version of the 480.  There may be switching supplies that can deliver 40-50 amps at 13.8V, but I haven't seen one.

73, K8AC
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »

I agree that the DM-330 is a good supply, but it won't come close to handling the current required by the 200 watt version of the 480.  There may be switching supplies that can deliver 40-50 amps at 13.8V, but I haven't seen one.

73, K8AC

The HX has two power connectors and one powers logic/receiver and one 100 watt section and other powers just additional 100 watt section. (if you use wrong connector rig will simply not power up) You can run rig as a "normal" 100 version without tuner portable if you want to limit power supply size.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
NT6U

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »

Thank you all for your response.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 08:56:25 AM »

The MFJ-4245MV switching power supply is rated for 40 amps continuous and 45 amps peak. That will run your radio. The price is $150 at HRO.
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 02:52:55 PM »

The Diamond GZV-3000 switching PS is a nice unit and will provide enough current for a TS480HX.  Too bad that rig doesn't do 200 watts on 6m as well.

John AF5CC
K8SI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 08:28:28 PM »

Just an FYI...you can not run the 480HX with just the one primary power source connected - it will operate in "Receive Only" mode in this instance.  To transmit, you must have power on BOTH connectors.  Also, setting the power level to 100w output still will draw much more than a typical 100w rig.  Just thought I'd throw that out there to curb some misinformation.
Jim  K8SI
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 12:16:18 PM »

See http://cascadeaudio.com/power_converters/power_converters.htm. You can use these as a standalone power supply, or float a good deep cycle or UPS battery across it and have instant battery backup. They come in ranges from 15 to 100 amps. You can see http://www.qsl.net/na4it/ for my setup. Be sure you put fuses in the positive lead between the battery and supply, and battery and equipment. Mine is also very quiet.
K6RBK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 09:31:51 AM »

You should also consider converting a server power supply for use in this application.

I've converted 32 and 56 amp units (although my 56A unit requires external cooling as no fans are built in).

Check out the two links below for more information:

http://www.ostechnologies.net/hamradio/hp_psu.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005309

There are tons of different server PSUs out there for cheap and you should be able to find something that'll power your rig at 200W fairly cheaply when compared to the price of a commercial switching PSU.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: