Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160M balloon vertical on Field Day?  (Read 3796 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2012, 03:23:28 PM »

I had 10M for Field Day this past weekend, and it was pretty bad. Last year it was wide open. Anyway, someone brought up the idea of a 1/4 wave balloon vertical and thought maybe we could try it on 160M no one ever has that station and I have never been on that frequency myself.

The question is, do the the ground radials have to be 1/4, or can you get away with 1/8?
N9CKL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »

Central Illinois Radio Club
Tried 160m. Only a couple stations on FD at 1am .
80m and 40m was the ticket 9pm to 6am.
digital, cw and phone on three seperate 80 and 40 meter antennas.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 01:05:15 PM »

Good to know. Thanks!
NV1P

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 10:42:45 AM »

I can't speak for having a 160 vertical, but my local club put up a 80M balloon dipole, and let me tell you, it works AMAZING! If you feed it with balanced line and a tuner you can use it on any band 80M and above, or just use a balun for 80 only.

Another idea is using a kite to lift up a vertical. Check out "NE2Q's Antenna Fell From the Sky!". I tried to find a pdf link. I know there used to be one somewhere. You may be able to get it off of the ARRL archive.

NV1P
KO7I

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 09:19:42 PM »

160M in June? I tried that once, figured out I needed a receive antenna real bad. My bet you will too, same for everyone else cause with a beverage or a k9ay loop you maybe hearing them but if they don't too... well you-all are smart enough to figure that out.  Cheesy Cheesy
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 03:04:29 AM »

Put a fluorescent tube on the kite, then when you key it will flash on and off, everone round will think its a UFO.    Smiley

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: