Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital Broadcasts on Shortwave.  (Read 9788 times)
KA0SBL

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2012, 02:19:56 PM »

I've read a bit about DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale) and was wondering what others have experienced with it. Are there enough digital broadcasts to make it worthwhile?

Have you used a radio specifically designed for it? Do they work well and what sort of investment should one expect?

Has anyone used software for decoding? Looks like one needs to tap into the IF of their receiver to facilitate this?

Thx!
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:56:22 PM »

There are very few DRM broadcasts beamed to the USA.  My set-up required a pretty good signal, at least 13dB signal to noise ratio before it would detect - YMMV.  However, when I did listen to DRM, the sound fidelity was simply amazing! Here on the U.S. east coast, I would often listen to Radio Exterior de Espana, CBC (gone), Radio New Zealand's south Pacific services in DRM successfully. I never could get All India Radio in DRM, which is actually beamed to Europe - at least it was, at that time.

I am glad that I did it, but considering how few stations I could find on DRM, it's not at the top of my personal 'to-do' list.

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:50:17 PM »

It's unfortunate that DRM didn't take off as well here as elsewhere. I've played with it for several years now, using IF converters, a Coding Technologies receiver, side tuning a wideband ssb rig, using Spark! to encode test broadcasts on AM and FM, etc. and while it is absolutely marvelous technology, again, unfortunately, it is a very narrowcast situation at present. Other countries have adopted it, but alas, as usual, here in the U.S., we ignore international shortwave for the most part, relegating it to religious broadcasting and, well, religious broadcasting... DRM beats the pants off what we call "HD Radio", in my opinion. We'd have been well served to have adopted it long ago for FM and AM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: