Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2004 Jeep Wrangler w/ hard top & full metal doors  (Read 7810 times)
N8NSN

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2012, 06:39:10 PM »

Just acquired a 2004 Jeep Wrangler (3870# brick on wheels). My question is multi-layered so, I'll just bullet point them.
* any one had a Jeep Wrangler & installed HF - UHF rig(s)?
* any obnoxious firing or injector noise I need to prepare for?
* if you had an FT-857D: where did/would you place it?

So, the plan thus far is to use a 51 inch length 5/4 by 6inch treated board across the top of the roll cage. A hole set of about 3/8 inch diameter spaced 48 & 1/4 inches CTC apart, one at each end of 51 inch board will facilitate pinning it downto the roll cage. This will be the platform for a set of binding posts (3 to 4 sets) wired ditect to an auxillary battery. 12VDC modified Autek QF1A, external speaker, and FT 857D mounted to under side of board. As well mic hanger and front mounted port jacks for h.b. paddle set mounted with stral to center seat console.

The antenna I'm building is similar to a 40 - 10 meter bug catcher and will be mounted to the rear bumper (I would put it on the front bumper, but more likely there are "obstruction ov view laws" that'd be in place...

Basically the HF antenna will be a 4 foot long, thick wall 1&1/4 inch aluminum mast, 4" OD 4.25" long 24 turn (6TPI) coil with a tap wire @ bottom of coil - made from 9 guage aliminum wire (weight in mind) (total coil @ 39.7uh at 13 pf capacitance) in a hand made form of air spaced phenolic plates mounted to a 1 inch fiberglass center core, a 4 foot whip out the top for use while driving, and later to add a shorter "stinger" with a cap hat of some sort on top for use while not driving. The base load will consist of a .75 to 1.25 uh hand turned inductor. This, I'm still designing and building... We'll see how it goes.

Mainly, just looking for feedback & ideas before mounting anything. My goal is to put no holes in the vehicle that are not factory holes. A plate for the antenna mount will share bumper/frame/pull hook holes.

Oh yes, almost forgot... A UHF halo and a VHF halo are in the works to mount on the fiberglass top. Or, I may just find a way to affix the UHF/VHF/6m vertical - somewhere...

Bring on some feed back and/or experiences you've heard of or encountered first hand on HF -UHF in an 04 Wrangler :-)

Thanks & 73

Jimmie
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 07:37:24 AM »

You might want to visit the photo gallery on my web site for mounting ideas.

N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:17:17 AM »

Thanks Alan. I've had your website paged on this iPhone for about a year. Great informative site. My antenne for HF in the works was formulated using calculators from some sites and ideas from many, inclusive of yours :-)
KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 02:30:36 PM »

A real Jeep owner wouldn't heasitate to drill holes. KC brand windshield mounts for the UHF/VHF the use a "trunk lip" style mount. They will not be in your line of sight. 4WDrive and 4 Wheel parts, to name a few have brackets for overr head consoles the reach from the winshield frame to the main hoop of the cage. If you have remote mount brackets amd heads, the back of the center console is a good place.
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:36:42 PM »

Thanks for the rack(s) info. As far as drilling holes... Not sure what you intended to say with, "Real Jeep owners not being concerned with drilling holes". But with my understanding of physics, holes should NEVER be placed in places not intended for such. This applies in structural components, as well as cosmetic metals. A "real jeep owner" has no desire to turn his/her vehicle into a rust bucket or a structurally unsound unit. I'm looking for ideas and legitimate suggestions with no extra digs or attempts by commenters to notate their superiority - or in this instance their disregard for the preservation of beauty. :-D
KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 06:44:18 PM »

When doing a proper install, holes are sometimes the RIGHT way to go.  I've drilled plenty of holes,Going on 8 yrs and 150k miles It Damn sure ain't no rust bucket.  I guess you will never do any upgrades or other mods.
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 07:51:30 PM »

For KE5PPH. Hmmm. My better nature suggests any response to you further is a practice of futility. However, my ego suggests that working for a commercial 2-way shop some 20 or so years back and installing at least a thousand radio comx devises in/on anything from a motorcycle, police cruiser or tacticals, school busses, fire engines, ambulances, and so on and so forth (but never a jeep wrangler)... EVERY vehicle has specific points and devises to use per specific radio gear to achieve a solid install WITHOUT BUTCHERING the said vehicle. I like to sell off vehicles and drive new ones within a few years. My first jeep is my new toy. Don't be a sand box bully and attempt to baffle any one with your rhetoric. I won't do a battle of wit with an unarmed opponent. Your responses are shade tree mechanic folly. I can't honestly say you have a valid point to share. So, drill on... Your last point of post serves nothing further than to suggest your clinging to a vehicle 8 years and 150K miles is suggestive that either you aren't too discontented with the "ride" OR it simply has no resale value within it's swiss cheese chassis.

OMGoodness... Now that folks is truely entertaining!

73 from Dayton
KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 10:07:34 AM »

I'm sorry, that you feel bullied.  You asked about the best way to go and didn't like the answers.  Keep you Jeep well maintained and have a nice day.  After 8 years NO other company produces a Jeep. Mines a collectors Item, as that model was only made for 3 years.
KE4KUZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 10:35:21 AM »

A chap in my 4X4 club has been fighting a fuel-pump interference problem with any RF system on his similar Jeep.  He has tried chokes and torroids and various other things to no avail.  The fuel pump appears to be the culprit.  I personally am a Toyota guy.  Jeep is an acronym for "Just Empty Every Pocket".
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »

I don't wish to burst a bubble, but it isn't the fuel pump generating the RFI. Fact is, the ones installed in any fuel injected Jeep, are far better RFI wise, than any other brand not using a DENSO pump.

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »

For KE5PPH. Hmmm. My better nature suggests any response to you further is a practice of futility. However, my ego suggests that working for a commercial 2-way shop some 20 or so years back and installing at least a thousand radio comx devises in/on anything from a motorcycle, police cruiser or tacticals, school busses, fire engines, ambulances, and so on and so forth

So you know that an antenna has to be as high and clear of the body as possible and the best way to install one to ensure the lowest ground losses and least common mode is a hole drilled in the roof.

As you're such an expert, why are you asking on this board?

Just because you installed a thousand devices doesn't mean they were any good. Doesn't mean the installation was as efficient as it could be nor free from problems such as common mode currents. All you described above would be deemed to be an acceptable installation as long as they could be heard by the local base station or repeater maybe 10 miles away or so. Wow, big deal - I can hit a repeater 30 miles away with a 5W HT.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:10:16 AM by M6GOM » Logged
N8NSN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »

Hard top on the Jeep is fiberglass. To answer the question of "why ask on this board"... Beats the hell out of me. Seems other than a hand full of legitimate responses - more often it's just spam & junk. I'll figure it out with what I have. I was simply asking for experienced Jeep owner installs. Not a bunch of drill happy shade tree commentary or self important lime green spew. Didn't come in for a flexing match. I'm done with this thread. Way to go, morons.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 10:23:29 PM »

Well you asked and folks responded.  Jeeps have been made for years, nothing is sacred about them.  I had a 1976 (new) CJ-7 and a 1980 (new) CJ-5 (this is 2012, right?).  Both got holes drilled in them, and it didn't affect the trade-in in the least (the '76 I had for 3 yrs and the '80 less than 6 mo. due to the birth of my first child).

I just don't get it.  You ask a question and the audience responds.  If you don't like the answer then maybe you didn't ask the right question.  A vehicle is "just a form of transportation".  It is NOT your kid, dog, or mother-in-law.  It is not going to last forever and in three years, or less, you will be looking for something newer.

Mike
AD7GU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »

don't know if your jeep has a roof rack or if one is available, but we had a problem sort of like this on a Chevy lumina van. it came with a fiberglass roof and the owner wanted a magnetic mount taxi light installed. we eventually slid the roof racks close together and bolted (no self tapping screws) a metal plate between the racks. (there was a curve to the plate due to the bow of the racks) word of this shot through the taxi community (they didn't want to screw up their resale values, ha ha) and the plates started getting bigger and bigger until a taxi light and antenna could be mounted

naval air station miramar had a Chevy suburban outfitted as a mobile control tower, they had a plate of steel over the roof (mounted on the roof racks) with approx 12 antennas mounted on it. they wouldn't give me a "tour" of the installation so i'm not sure how they ran the coax into the vehicle.

when drilling through the racks, i placed the biggest chunk of wood i could find between the rack and the roof. we used self locking nuts on the bolts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: