Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's my situation. What would you do?  (Read 13578 times)
W8CAR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 06:55:28 AM »

http://www.ctdxcc.org/localregs/

Check this link-I think this may give you some leverage if you decide to get a permit

Dan W8CAR
W0MT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 07:56:21 PM »

"I saw that section also and deemed amateur radio is not a "telecommunications facility," because technically, we are not.  A telecommunications facility is normally defined as a commercial enterprise which could include cellular system sites but not private hobby sites."

Most statutes and regulations have a section (normally the first section) that defines the terms used in the following sections. Before I would reply on some interpretation of what a "telecommunications facility" is, I would recommend searching to see if it is define there. Sometimes the definitions defy what a normal reader would think the words mean.

A good example is that it is quite common to define what a "motorized vehicle" is in the statues regulating what can drive on public highways. Read the definition and you learn that a skateboard with a motor is not a "motorized vehicle." Similarly, a 747 is not a motorized vehicle although both a 747 and a motorized skateboard are indeed motorized vehicles--just not for the statutes saying what vehicles can drive on public highways.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 04:24:13 AM »

The ham ops 1/2 mile from you might be in a different zoning area or different HOA. It seems like a waste of time to track down someone who really knows the laws for your area, but it is better to be in the clear than to have to take down what you put up or battle with lawyers and neighbors.

I bypassed working with the locals for a lattice tower because of engineering surveys and permits. I bought and had installed a wooden utility pole (65 feet) and hired a crane to install a bracket and pulley for a dipole and mounted a mast and rotor for the Yagi. No permits needed for utility poles, BUT GUESS what??
When the DAM antenna has a problem I have to hire a crane truck @ $500/4 hrs to drive over my lawn........(wait for a dry spell before dong this) and fix the antenna. My luck has been the Cushcraft  A3S is not serving me well at all. Totally useless!!
The dipole is very happy at 65 feet and full length for 160M. I would be embarrassed to give the cost of the pole and install. Probably cudda had a 60 footer at half the price......I'm not too smart sometimes.

Fred
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »

I bought and had installed a wooden utility pole (65 feet) and hired a crane to install a bracket and pulley for a dipole and mounted a mast and rotor for the Yagi. No permits needed for utility poles, BUT GUESS what??
When the DAM antenna has a problem I have to hire a crane truck @ $500/4 hrs to drive over my lawn........(wait for a dry spell before dong this) and fix the antenna. My luck has been the Cushcraft  A3S is not serving me well at all. Totally useless!!
The dipole is very happy at 65 feet and full length for 160M. I would be embarrassed to give the cost of the pole and install. Probably cudda had a 60 footer at half the price......I'm not too smart sometimes.

Fred
My (local city) electric utility folks will put in a 35 ft pole for $100, no permit needed.
K5KNE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 01:23:08 PM »

See about getting the footing design from the manufacturer of the tower before getting an engineer to design you one.

They should have at least a couple of choices for the footing.

I would probably just put up the antenna.  Keeping it nested a lot of the time should not be a problem.

Good Luck   Walter  K5KNE - Texas professional engineer
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: