Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to upgrade from Grundig G6  (Read 12151 times)
K4NYA

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2012, 01:32:21 PM »

For the past year or so, I've been SWL'ing with a refurbished Grundig G6 (the Buzz Aldrin one).  It's a nice radio, but I'm thinking of upgrading to something better. Specifically, one with a somewhat better build quality & that isn't so prone to front end overload.  Any recommendations?  Not looking to spend a ton of money, either.  >$100 if possible.
KA0SBL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:25:29 PM »

I've always had better luck with a Ham rig, preferably one with a general coverage receiver as opposed to ... well, more consumer oriented rigs. No knock on them. You'll have to be patient in searching yard & estate sales, craigslist, ebay etc. to stay under $100, but it is possible. Perhaps you can DIY some attenuation for those extra strong signals or even try running it through a tuner.

K4NYA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »

I've got an Icom IC-745 feed by a G5RV Jr.  It works great for SWL, but sometimes I do need a portable unit like the G6.  That's what I'm to upgrade.
WA3YAY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 05:27:29 PM »

I suppose you want to stay with a portable? Steer clear of the Sangean ATX-909X. Very insensitive on the whip antenna. The Kaito 1103 gets good reviews as does the Tecsun 600 and 660. The quality of these can be variable, but for the price, they're very interesting. If you want to get an inexpensive desktop receiver, the Alinco DX-R8 is as cheap as you can get at $480. But it gets some low marks for a desktop. If I were you, I'd look for an old Yaesu FT-840 or something in that class from a retailer like Universal Radio or HRO who can stand behind it if it needs service. If your up for something new, the SDR receivers like the RFSpace IQ are the wave of the future, but not everyones's cup-o-tea.
AA1UY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:38:53 PM »

I know that you're looking for a portable, but for the benefit of other readers of this forum, WA3YAY mentions the FT-840 HF transceiver and it has a decent receiver, however, be aware that the AM (wider) bandwidth filter for the FT-840 was an expensive optional extra which many of them won't have.

If they don't have the optional AM filter, then Shortwave AM broadcasts are pretty much un-listenable on this rig due to the much narrower (stock) SSB filter. That said, you could probably (?) listen to either the upper or lower sideband of the AM signal using the stock filter (in SSB mode), but you would not get the full fidelity of the AM signal unless the optional AM filter were fitted.

This rig is fairly unusual in that respect as most HF transceivers that are capable of SSB reception have a stock filter that is fairly wide (i.e. wide enough for comfortable AM broadcast listening), and you are expected to buy an optional narrower SSB (and/or CW) filter if desired. On the FT-840, they did it the other way around.

The only "upgrades" in portables that spring to mind are the Sony ICF-SW7600G and Grundig G3 because of the synchronous detectors. The one on the Sony works reasonably well, but not nearly as well as the one on the now discontinued ICF-2010. The sync. on the G3 gets some really mixed reports, so maybe it started bad and was improved or...?

There are a bunch of Chinese portables available nowadays, many of which offer very good performance and sound reproduction (which the Sony doesn't on its built-in speaker), but in my experience, the build quality isn't there and they will never last anywhere near as long as e.g. the Japanese made Sony.

Something bigger? The Redsun RP-2100 and it's Kaito KA-2100, CCrane CSW and now Grundig S450DLX clones sound nice and are pretty good performers (but no SSB unless you add the BFO accessory if you can find it).

My latest is the Grundig Satellit 750 which is a decent radio and quite fun to use (being boat-anchor like), however ,calling it a portable is probably stretching it a bit. Now I know for a fact that these started bad and are much improved from the earlier ones with the plastic knobs.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 04:05:28 PM by AA1UY » Logged
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 04:12:06 AM »

I have nice memories of the Yaseu FRG 7700
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1808

The Yaseu had excellent audio and reasonable front end. A very nice General coverage receiver.
It has wide and narrow response for AM.
It was also capable of USB LSB and FM. Stable digital readout.

If you are very serious about music on short wave and the synchronous detector then it starts getting expensive.

I know I am in left field with my table top suggestion, but the FRG7700 is really nice.
There are a lot of short comings with a portable and the simple whip antenna and the front end overloading.
Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: