Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hex Beam Stealthy Experience ?  (Read 12297 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 08:26:37 AM »

Re: Paul KC2NYU

If you do decide on a hex beam and have not already considered homebrewing one,they are easy,inexpensive and fun to make.My 1st one cost me nothing(parts on hand)and is my semi portable unit,my 2nd one cost me about $93.00.Both are 20m mono band only.GL with your final choice.  Anchors aweigh  Jim             
N7TEE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 04:10:08 PM »

If you have a blue spruce in the back yard be sure to paint the mast/tower Rustolium Hunter Green.  It seems to disapear from sight.   I had one up for eight years and the neighbors did not even know it.

Dave  N7TEE
KC2NYU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 02:11:18 PM »

Thanks guys for the excellent recommendations. I plan to put up the K4KIO Hex up in  a few months after the leaves are back on the trees.

73 Paul kc2nyu
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 04:43:27 AM »

If the hex is mounted with the hub below the roof line it is pretty much unnoticable
from the street side.  However the next door neighbors will have a good view.  Moral
is to be a good neighbor as that will help eleminate complaints. 

Allen KA5N
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 04:49:58 AM »

The NA4RR copy of the HEX is about $400.
http://na4rr.com/
The pictures are interesting...and light enough for a push-up mast and rotor.

I do not know if you feel like wrestling with a push-up mast, but that would help to make your installation a little less visible. It would be a waste of your time to start painting anything. At 30 or so feet high, and Huh feet from the nearest neighbor, it should not be an eye-sore. How strict is your HOA?? Or are you testing for neighbor reaction that you are a Ham op?
Remember the fear of RFI that neighbors automatically have when they see an antenna in the air. They know that most folks are using cable TV or Sat TV these days.
If you go with a HEX and push-up mast,,,,do not even connect it to your station...Leave the coax and the connector coiled outside your shack for a few weeks and see what happens.
Fred
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: