Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Copy Without Reading: Part 2  (Read 419 times)
N4LCV

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2007, 09:43:24 AM »

Thanks to all who replied to my original post. I do about half of my code practice with a pencil in hand, but I also do a lot of listening and trying to understand the code in my head without a pencil. But the problem that I have is the same, whether I am trying to write or not. The problem is trying to think what letters have been sent and what the word is going to be. Especially on long words.  Suppose the word is "Commercial." By the time I have copied "Com..." I'm trying to guess whether the word is going to be commercial, commerce, communication, etc, etc, etc. And when that happens, then I seem to lose my ability to hear and assimilate the next few letters. And it doesn't matter if I'm doing code with a pencil or not. The same thing happens when I'm trying to copy in my head. My head gets so cluttered with "junk" that I start missing letters. But that doesn't happen when I'm doing random because I know that it isn't going to be a word. And I can just concentrate on getting each letter as it is sent.

Any ideas?

N4LCV
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 10:55:06 AM »

Sure.  My idea is to NEVER just sit back and "copy code" by listening to people sending it on the air, or tapes, or computer programs, or CDs or any other method.

Always USE the code to engage in actual conversations on the air, instead.  Always.

The difference is amazing.

You WILL find yourself completing more contacts, faster and easier, and the confusion you're creating for yourself (gee, is this word, "Communicate" or "Communism" or "Commutate," or...?) will all go away, permanently.

My challenge is:

Log on paper every single CW contact you actually make and complete, on the air.

Use whatever speed you're comfortable with, but never write down any of the code "copy," except logbook information (station call sign, operator name, QTH, plus the regular date, time, mode, frequency).  After filling in the log information, put the pencil away and never touch it again.

Complete 500 contacts this way, at a rate of 5 QSOs per day (100 days) or 10 QSOs per day (50 days).

At contact #501, you won't have any more problems.

If you cannot accomplish this, you're the first person I've ever come across to not be able to.

WB2WIK/6
KB1OOO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 06:23:34 AM »

Hi N4LCV,

Regarding this post and one of your earlier posts about looking for slow                                      
speed QSOs,  I'm always look for off air cw practice partners using                                            
cwirc, which lets you have cw QSOs over the internet via IRC chat rooms.                                      
If you have linux or OS X, it works really nicely.  See
http://users.skynet.be/ppc/cwirc.  If you're interested, I'd love to set                                      
up a sked for QSO practice.  You can also find me logged on there most
of the day.

Marc,
KB1OOO
VK3GDM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 05:28:45 PM »

I'm would like to try this CWirc X-Chat program.

What IRC server do you have to connect to?

DM
KB1OOO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 05:49:26 PM »

Hi VK3GDM,

irc.freenode.net channel #cw

Marc
KB1OOO
KB1OOO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 07:55:02 AM »

Hi VK3GDM,

Saw you logged in a couple times.  Not a lot of QSO activity but I'm
always around between 8 - 10pm my time (East Coast US GMT-5), which I
guess is just before lunchtime for you.  I'm also logged on during the
day but not usually available for a QSO.  Maybe lunchtime.

KB1OOO,
Marc
VK3GDM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 05:36:18 PM »

Thanks Marc.  That was easy to get going! I'm now able to listen to the news snippets.

I need to get my key connected.

I'm probably only available on the weekends at that time.

regards
David.
KB1OOO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 08:55:14 AM »

Hi David,

I love the news feeds.  I've got 920 on while I'm a work.   If you haven't yet discovered the cw_services bot, you can set the news feed to be any speed you like.

Marc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: