Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote CW over the Internet  (Read 740 times)
KC9ERZ

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2007, 09:01:59 AM »

Has anyone used something like Ham Radio Deluxe to do CW remotely over the Internet?  I don't want to do "keyboard" CW, but actually use a straight key.  I know I can setup Ham Radio Deluxe to remotely control my Rig (FT897D).  The scenario would be this.  I have a laptop in a Hotel Room with Internet Access, Ham Radio Delux installed and a CW Key with some "interface box" for the key.  I connect to my home station radio over the Internet and send/receive CW.  I guess the part I am missing is the "interface box" that would allow me to use a physical key at my remote location?

Thanks,
Greg Johnson
KC9ERZ
N0HR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 09:08:42 AM »

I've seen rumors that TenTec is working on something like this for their recently released Omni VII. It would be an add-on that would connect to your PC when using their remote control software package. Sounds cool. I'm wondering about latency issues though.

NØHR
http://www.n0hr.com
W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 03:19:09 PM »

I suggest that you ask this question on the HRD reflector.
KB1OOO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 07:38:04 AM »

For a linux/bsd/OS X solution, you could use cwirc as the "interface box" which lets you do cw over the internet via irc as the reflector.  You run cwirc on your laptop in the hotel and connect your key or paddle in the hotel using the serial port, or by modifying an external usb mouse.  At your home computer you would have cwirc running and use the serial port output to feed the output to your rig.  You would need another program like ham radio deluxe for controlling other aspects of your radio.  

Marc
KC9ERZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 01:01:43 PM »

Thanks Marc.  Got both a Linux and Mac OS X box...I'll give CWIRC a try.

Greg
KB1OOO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 02:29:55 PM »

Greg, you'll need a patch and a soundcard.h emulation to get it to build in OS X.  I made the patch and sent it to Pierre (cwirc author) but he hasn't had a chance to update his release.  If you send him an email, he'll send it to you.  Also, I never tested the serial port input/output with OS X.

Marc
KC9ERZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 04:13:38 AM »

Thanks Marc.  I'd probably do it on Linux.

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: