Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 & 10m ghost town  (Read 4343 times)
KJ4SKP

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2012, 07:28:46 AM »

I have a Yaesu 8900 mounted in my car w/ a diamond cr8900 antenna.  I had an elmer help me tune my antenna.  I never hear any activity on 6 or 10m.  I'm beginning to wonder if I might have antenna issues. Is there a freq on 6 or 10 that might be more active I can tune in to for some action?  Any other suggestions I could check into to check my antenna etc?

N5TWB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:00:34 AM »

If your QRZ info is current and you're in Marietta GA, a quick check for a 6 meter repeater shows 2 in Marietta (53.210 and 53.250). Have you tried those or does your Elmer know the status of those repeaters? On 10 meters, there are only 10 pairs (29.610-700) to put into the rig's memory for scanning. Some on-line repeater listings show several GA repeaters (Warner-Robins, Dalton, Macon, Monroe, etc.) but a forum comment said there were none active. That's a question for your Elmer or local radio club.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 09:19:06 AM »

If you only have fm capability you could try around 29.600 simplex. You won`t hear many 10m fm repeaters unless there`s a band opening,or you`re near a local repeater. The same applies to 6m fm. The 6m  fm national calling freq. is 52.525. Most people on 6 or 10m are using ssb. If you don`t have ssb capability I`d try fm simplex on or near those frequencies.
WD0MYM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »

Brasstown Bald............4,784' Mountain that is 90 miles from you. Looks like you can drive right to the top...find some popular simplex frequencies.

If that isn't tall enough you can put another 2,000' beneath your wheels, try Mount Mitchell, 6,684' up in north Carolina, just North of Asheville. You can drive right up to the top of it also. Been there and done that, fun! Looks like its about 200+ miles though.

Jon
KB3QWC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 05:20:41 AM »

KJ4SKP is only listed as Technician and they don’t have voice privileges on 10 meter FM.  Need to be at least a General to use 10 meter FM.  Technicians still can use the entire 6 meter band on the FT-8900.
WD0MYM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 05:55:14 AM »

You might want to purchase the ARRL Repeater Directory. It does contain lots of useful info besides the repeaters. They make a small pocket edition that will fit in the glovebox. I wasn't joking about Brasstown Bald...your states highpoint; once you are sure your setup is working you might be surprised what you can do with 2 & 6 meter FM even without any band openings on a mountaintop.
KD0PBO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 09:22:06 AM »

Like KB3QWC pointed out. You have to be a General or Extra Class to use 10m outside of 28.300-28.500 SSB. If you are just listening that is all well and good but don't key up on 10m FM or someone might report you. 10m voice usage is mostly SSB anyway. Same thing with 6m. Go find yourself a used HTX-100 and use that to work some SSB on 10m. Its a perfect Tech radio if you are looking to try your hand at a little HF work and don't have the money to buy a full fledged HF rig. They are always on ebay for around $100 to $150. I lucked out and got mine on craigslist for $60 (guy had no idea what he was selling and thought it was just a fancy CB  Grin). Not too mention 10m antennas are inexpensive, small (compared to lower hf bands), and/or easy to build. A simple dipole can be cut, assembled, and slung up in a tree all in one afternoon. Plus, most CB antennas on the market can easily be cut to use on 10m and some need no modification at all. 10m can be a lot of fun too. You can work coast to coast on a fairly regular basis and when the band really opens you can hang a boiled noodle out the window and work across the oceans. Just my thoughts. Have fun and keep it interesting!

Miles D.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 07:18:40 AM »

IF there is a band opening, you can listen around 28.400 or 50.125 for starters.  If you had a CB that is a practical band opening monitor at least maybe for 10M.  When the CB channels are clogged with skip stations at S9, you can switch over to 10 and see if there is activity.  Try making some calls yourself. 
K4CMD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 08:13:49 AM »

I'll echo what Jon, KB0TVL, said. Way back in 1987, when I was 22, I found myself sitting in the parking area at the top of Mt. Mitchell, NC, elev. 6,684' and the highest peak east of the Mississippi. All I had in the car was a Kenwood TR-7930 25-watt 2-meter FM rig and a Larsen 5/8-wave mag-mount antenna. That didn't matter. It was about 8 a.m. and I got on 146.52 simplex; an hour later I had logged six states!

There's something special to be said for sitting atop the highest point in eastern North America, where even the FM broadcast band gets strange as 10-20 stations compete on every frequency. Or you kerchunk your favorite 2-meter repeater pair and hear four or five heterodynes as you bring up repeaters in four states at once. Take a day trip to Mt. Mitchell if you never have; you'll love it along with the attached attraction, the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's a great break from the heat in the summer, and nearby Asheville is one of the hippest towns on the East Coast. My visit was in September, and while the temp "down" on the Blue Ridge Parkway was in the sixties that morning, it was 28 on top of Mt. Mitchell and the fir trees were covered with a shimmering layer of rime ice (frozen fog) under a crystal (Carolina?) blue sky. Surreal.

Mitchell's a magical place. Go have fun and make some contacts. Specific to your question, try 52.525, the national calling frequency for 6m FM, and, well, I guess you could always jump on ebay real quick and pick up a used Radio Shack 10-meter transceiver for less than 100 bux. You have 28.3-28.5 MHz USB at your disposal. And don't forget about your privileges on the other HF bands, just in case you have access to an HF rig.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:22:48 AM by K4CMD » Logged
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 11:22:30 AM »

1000 receivers tuned to 10 or 6 meters make no noise.  Send out a few CQ's and don't give up if nobody comes back immediately.

Case in point - During Field Day weekend in June, 10 meters and for a while 6 meters were full of staions.  Do 10 meters and 6 meters magically open up just on big contest weekends? 

NO. 

On big contest weekends thousands of stations are transmitting instead of just listening.  Somebody has to transmit in order for someone else to receive a signal.

Dick  AD4U
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: