Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Logging + rig interface software  (Read 10344 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 04:47:48 AM »

Once again, your lack of objectivity is on display
          Dave, AA6YQ

WOW, you got a real nice long advertisement for DX Labs in that post. I am perhaps as objective as you.  Wink

Start charging $$$ for DX Labs and find out how popular it really is. Just ask the HRD folks about that.  Grin

Stan K9IUQ
KI4PCB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 07:39:51 AM »

I Downloaded and installed RadioComm and get two errors when attempting to start the application. 

Failed to create OLE Communications Control
Failed to create Empty Document

Has anyone received these errors and overcome them?
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 10:45:37 AM »

I Downloaded and installed RadioComm and get two errors when attempting to start the application. 

Failed to create OLE Communications Control
Failed to create Empty Document

Has anyone received these errors and overcome them?

Why don't you ask Stan K9IUQ since he appears to be the resident 'expert' on logging software  Huh

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 10:55:50 AM »

You're sounding more and more like a shill, Stan.

When a (new) ham asks for advice concerning a logger, who gives the better advice? A developer promoting his product? Or an everyday ham telling the (new) ham to try them all?  Cheesy

"Try them all" is fine advice. However, your claim that "When it comes to free software, usually (but not always) it is worth what you pay for it..." is blatantly false, as the list of high-quality free software posted earlier demonstrates. So much for your objectivity...

Sorry Dave, I believe you are the shill for DX Labs, especially since you do it constantly.

It's not possible to shill for a free product.

DX Labs is popular, free is always attractive to cheap hams.

Once again, your lack of objectivity is on display - along with your disdain for those who consider frugality a virtue or a necessity. DXLab is is popular because
  • - it offers lots of valuable functionality, but lets the user choose the subset he or she finds useful
  • - reported defects are typically repaired within 24 hours, and the backlog of reported but uncorrected defects across the entire Suite is usually 0
  • - it interoperates with many other popular applications, e.g. MultiPSK, DM780, MixW, FLDigi, CW Skimmer, CWGet, MMTTY, MMVARI, MMSSTV, JT65-HF, DX Atlas, SDR Radio, SpectraVue, BobCAT, NaP3, PowerSDR-IF, N1MM, etc.
  • - it frequently incorporates user-suggested enhancements

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave,

Give up trying to convince Stan he's in the minority here. If he wants to think that the higher the price point on software makes it a better product, so be it. I'm sure those that 'sell' software love having Stan work for them on here. It appears his problem is he doesn't want to take the time to learn anything because he apparently can't do it because the learning curve is just too steep for him. Too bad for him.

For the rest of us who have taken the time to learn about software and can use your's and others with no problem, free or not, I say to all you developers "Keep up the excellent work".

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 12:47:53 PM »

Give up trying to convince Stan he's in the minority here.

Yes give it up. My opinion is different than yours. You really need to ask yourself why that bothers you so much.....

Stan K9IUQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 02:11:02 PM »

Give up trying to convince Stan he's in the minority here.

Yes give it up. My opinion is different than yours. You really need to ask yourself why that bothers you so much.....

Everyone it entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Your claim that free software is usually not of high quality is false. Community-driven software development processes usually produce software of excellent quality -- both in terms of fitness for use and freedom from defects.

And in response to your earlier barb, DXLab will always be free.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »

Everyone it entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Your claim that free software is usually not of high quality is false. Community-driven software development processes usually produce software of excellent quality -- both in terms of fitness for use and freedom from defects.

You and your DX Lab fans continue to spin my words. I never said free software is not high quality. Go back and reread my words and then quote me if you wish but stop spinning my posts. You are starting to sound like a whining politician.  Cheesy

If you are honest you will see I have NEVER degraded your DX Labs. I have NEVER said it was poor or not quality software. My words are all here, go read my review on DX Labs in the review section.

I have said all hams need to try different loggers. DX Labs is not for everyone, personally I do not like it for many reasons. This is not to say it does not fit other ham needs. Dx Labs just does not fit my idea of a logger that works for my style of hamming..

Please stop attacking me and spinning my words. It makes you look very petty. Promoting Dx Labs every time someone asks a question about logging does nothing for your image either. Do you see any other software developers here doing that?

Stan K9IUQ
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 07:44:32 PM »

Dave, AA6YQ, notwithstanding, and I will freely admit his software does what you seek, there is also HRD.  Currently free ( up to, but not including version6.X)

It includes a suite of software to provide rig control, logging, digital modes, rotor control, DX Spider support, propagation reports, LoTW and eQSL upload and downloads, contest logging, award tracking, and many other features.

To be honest, I prefer the User Interface of HRD as it's more graphic than Dx Lab, but the choice is your's.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 09:28:31 PM »

You and your DX Lab fans continue to spin my words. I never said free software is not high quality. Go back and reread my words and then quote me if you wish but stop spinning my posts. You are starting to sound like a whining politician.

Your exact words were "When it comes to free software, usually (but not always) it is worth what you pay for it..." (my emphasis). This statement is false. As I have demonstrated with examples, community-driven software development usually produces applications of high quality.

Promoting Dx Labs every time someone asks a question about logging does nothing for your image either.

When someone asks "what logging software applications can do X?", where X is something DXLab can do, I will respond every time.

Do you see any other software developers here doing that?

Other software developers allow reported defects to go uncorrected for months or years.I won't emulate that behavior either.

Dave, AA6YQ
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:30:18 PM by AA6YQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 04:50:57 AM »

To be honest, I prefer the User Interface of HRD as it's more graphic than Dx Lab, but the choice is your's.

HRD is also my first choice for a free everyday logger. The interface is slick and graphical and fairly easy to figure out. It has been around for a long time and is very popular. HRD is soon to be not free software.

DX Labs interface on the other hand is confusing. In order to get the same benefit of other loggers you must run many different programs. This populates your screen with many windows. DX Labs has always given me the feeling of a Swiss army knife - - A Swiss Army Knife that you need a manual to use.  Grin  It tries to do too much in too many different programs. It really needs an unified User interface overhaul.

For contesting N1MM logger is hard to beat. It also is free and updated frequently.

There are several loggers that cost $$$ that have more features and better interfaces than DX Labs or HRD. Use the free trials to find out which works for you.

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:08:11 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »

HRD is also my first choice for a free everyday logger. The interface is slick and graphical and fairly easy to figure out. It has been around for a long time and is very popular. HRD is soon to be not free software.

DX Labs interface on the other hand is confusing. In order to get the same benefit of other loggers you must run many different programs. This populates your screen with many windows. DX Labs has always given me the feeling of a Swiss army knife - - A Swiss Army Knife that you need a manual to use.  Grin  It tries to do too much in too many different programs. It really needs an unified User interface overhaul.

For contesting N1MM logger is hard to beat. It also is free and updated frequently.

There are several loggers that cost $$$ that have more features and better interfaces than DX Labs or HRD. Use the free trials to find out which works for you.

Stan K9IUQ

Stan,

I understand where one might find DX Labs confusing but for many hams who do like and use DX Lab, my observation are exactly opposite of yours. Not to start a DX Lab vs HRD flame war and I'm sure HRD is a fine program once you learn it, personally I find it to be a mass of confusion. It clutters up my senses and is like trying to speed read the book and watch the movie at the same time. I don't want EVERYTHING thrown in my face at one time. I want to use what I need and move on. Just like I don't take out all the tools out of my toolbox just to use a screwdriver.

I find DXLab to be a natural smooth progression of effort where I can bring the item of need into focus, be it the logbook or the DX cluster, and move it out of the way by maximizing and minimizing windows. I, for one, don't like alot of flash and colors of a overdone graphical user interface and I get just enough colors and graphics to be useful and provide needed information without the 'entertainment' value when I use DX Lab.

I understand your dislike of DX Lab but I feel it is more driven by your dislike of Dave because he won't bend to your way of thinking and he promotes his product in open forums. There is nothing wrong with Dave's promoting DX Lab. Other vendors do it too but you seem to have singled Dave out for persecution. I can't see where Dave's promoting of DX Lab has any determental effect on your use of whatever you choose to use as a logger and really can't understand the assaults you throw at Dave every chance your get. So why don't you just agree to disagree with Dave and let it ride. I'm sure I'll draw the wrath of Stan for this posting but I really get tired of seeing you lower yourself everytime Dave posts something.

To the moderator: I'd suggest this thread be locked so we all can give it a rest and Stan can move on to provide 'helpful hints' to others here on eHAM.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 01:37:38 PM »

we all can give it a rest

I thought the subject was done but you continue to defend DX LAB and go on and on and on.

1. No one cares you dislike HRD
2. No one cares I dislike DX LAbs.
3. I do not dislike Dave, indeed I respect him as a programmer who gives freely of his time.

Give it a rest W5DQ, dang it is just software.........

Stan K9IUQ
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 03:25:40 PM »

Wow!
There are so many antlers laying in this forest it's hard to walk through it.

I think that DXlab is great, and so was HRD.
I will reserve my opinion as to whether making HRD payware has improved it or otherwise, until I see the final for-pay product.

The factor which defines the quality of software, both free and paid, is the passion of its developers.
DXlabs has a passionate and committed group of enthusiasts, with a democratic and effective development protocol.
This is what makes it good.

Similarly, Linux in its early days, was a great bit of software - but where is it today when the fire has dimmed?
It is essentially now a Euro-buro attempt to harm Microsoft and used as a free embedded OS for gadgets.

Software dies because no one uses it anymore, not because it is necessarily bad.
Enthusiastic users mean life - disgruntled users mean death - end of story.

73 - Rob
N0NB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 06:17:22 AM »

Quote from:  link=topic=84051.msg608731#msg608731 date=1342477540
Similarly, Linux in its early days, was a great bit of software - but where is it today when the fire has dimmed?

Was?  Today's versions are even better than ever as evidenced by the frequent kernel updates.  The "fire has dimmed"?  Where?  Development continues at a break-neck pace.  The difference is that the development model which was new and novel is now mature and accepted by many projects outside the Linux kernel proper so it's no longer news.  Also the development of Git eased the duties of Linus to an extent that the development process is no longer news.

It is essentially now a Euro-buro attempt to harm Microsoft and used as a free embedded OS for gadgets.

Really?  Most Linux kernel developers couldn't care less what the EU is doing.  They spend their time fixing bugs and writing code.  Nor do most distributions care what the EU is doing.

That there hasn't been a sweeping conversion to desktop Linux has more to do with the inertia of a massive installed base and the choice of people to stick with what's familiar than most any other reason.  I will say that the UI churn of recent years has done little to promote desktop Linux.

Software dies because no one uses it anymore, not because it is necessarily bad.
Enthusiastic users mean life - disgruntled users mean death - end of story.

It also dies when the underlying system goes away such as all the fantastic DOS programs we once used or when the author of the software stops improving it for whatever reason.  There are always bugs to fix or changes in dependencies that need to be tracked.  Once that input ceases, it's all over.  Here is where open source software has an advantage, it can be picked up, dusted off, fixed and its development carried on at some future date by someone completely unrelated to the original author(s).  And, yes, that has happened.

73, de Nate
Marysville, KS

SKCC 6225
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 07:14:08 AM »

One area where Linux has total dominance is high performance computing. Take a look at
 https://www.xsede.org/high-performance-computing for example and count the number of
systems running Windows 7 Smiley

Tor
N4OGW
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: