Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K4TEC/Radio Mart/ Martyn  (Read 26315 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 08:19:34 AM »

OK, you made your point.  Now, how about considering the little guy that just got jypped by a seller.  If the seller is uncommunicative or just plain doesn't care about it, how is the little guy going to get satisfaction?  Sue?  Sure--but for the fact that the lawsuit has to be filed in HIS area for it to be of much use, and the cost would be prohibitive for small amounts.  Go see the guy?  Try to find his storefront?  Even if you did, just what are you going to do without possibly getting on the wrong side of the law?   

There are so many stories of how that company which used threats and cajolery to get the review posted about it changed before it would do a thing about righting a wrong that it perpetrated on the buyer.  Then, how about the reviews that have been shilled (borrowing E-bay terminology) to the sellers site--something not easily done, but still possible.  And then again, as you say, sometimes the buyer is simply lucky and does OK by the seller.  That gets you the smattering of good feedback that he has, but what about the BAD feedback--that outnumbers the good by an outrageous amount--that is shown here and on his various (mostly closed now) business sites?  That's another thing--how come so many different business sites for one company--one after the other--after he has had problems with the site owners and the customers and closed up shop or got booted from the previous site?

For this company, there have been instance after instance of complaints both on feedback of various auction/storefront sites and on other business tracking sites (and please don't try saying his local Better Business Bureau lists him as a good company--he PAID his way onto that one) that his reputation should be in the minus numbers! 

Now, how else is a buyer who has no experience with him going to tell what's what?  That buyer looks at those numbers, that's how.  That is what I did, and the things that I found out led me to never do business with the guy and to agree with his detractors.  No, I never bought from him--almost, but I never did--and I consider myself lucky that I didn't!
WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 04:42:15 PM »

Just plain funny .....

See :   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T3jn-YudJI

Another bait and switch ?
K9XR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 03:57:25 PM »

Stuff like this does NOT prove anything. I don't care for Martyn's practices any more than you do but this is a very lame video that really doesn't prove anything. It is all supposition on his part. As far as the shipping goes, from my own experience Martyn probably did the best that he could do using the service that the buyer paid for.  When shipping internationally, there is a very fine line between shipping safely and shipping cost effective. It is pretty hard to do both because added weight = Extra shipping money and they will bitch about that also. BTW this 8 minute video could have been done in about a minute.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 04:06:19 PM by K9XR » Logged
WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 04:07:27 PM »

Stuff like this does not prove anything you say ?

I agree the video could have been done a little better but the poor guy made his point. If you go to the "radio-mart" website : http://www.radio-mart.net/Yeticom-Optima.html   Martyn clearly says the model he is selling is the "Japan" model and not the cheap Chinese model. If you look at the picture ( rear of the mic )on his website you can clearly see the word "Japan" on the lower part of the mic.  So why the fuss ? A.E.S. sells the original Japan model for 76.00. You can buy the Chinese model on ebay all day long for 17.00 ! 40.00 for a Chinese model is a ripoff.  If in fact this is what happened is sure smells like "bait and switch" to me.
K9XR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 06:31:25 PM »

So What is he doing? putting Chinese mics in a box that says  "made in japan"?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 06:52:28 AM »

Probably not, but misrepresentation is one of 'ol Marty's hallmarks, and some probably think he is doing just that.  Could well be too that the mikes were purchased from a Japanese company/dealer and are not actually made there--and that is where the misrepresentation is coming in.
WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 09:28:53 AM »

I called Icom America this morning and was told that first of all if you buy a Icom product from someone who is not a authorized Icom dealer chances are it is not a real Icom product. He also told me that if a HM-36 mic is made in Japan it will always say "Japan" on the back.  He told me if it does not say anything it is a counterfeit.
If anyone doubts this call Icom for yourself. (800) 872-4266 
WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 03:20:31 PM »

So What is he doing? putting Chinese mics in a box that says  "made in japan"?

I think he is buying them that way.

Example :  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Mic-microphone-for-ICOM-IC-718-IC-7800-IC-756-IC-735-IC-751-IC-775-as-HM-36-/200786081064

If you read the text this seller even admits they are counterfeits but notice they come in a nice Icom box that says "made in Japan" !
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 11:41:10 AM »

If they counterfeit the mic, why wouldn't they counterfeit the box too?  The Chinese government has no qualms about its citizens copying the works of others and selling the illegal copies.  If anyone here is an avid coin collector, they can tell you that China has been flooding the US with counterfeit US coins for the past few years, and some of these counterfeits are so good, they have fooled experts.  If they can do that with something as difficult to make as a coin, they can certainly do it for a box.
WB6VHK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 02:36:56 PM »

When I learned of this I reported it to Icom America, they are very interested in people ( especially people here in the USA ) selling counterfeit Icom products and trying to pass them off as genuine. Today I received this response from Icom :

Hi Darrell,

I presented your concerns and the UTube video in our department meeting this morning. This issue has been sent to management.

We also checked all of the HM-36 mics here and they look slightly different and are labelled either JAPAN or China.

Thank you,

Rick Waedekin Sr., N9PMR
Technical Support Representative

ICOM America, Inc.
2380 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004
Ph. (425) 450-6087
Fax (425) 637-8417
www.icomamerica.com

N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 07:04:56 AM »

This one will be interesting.  I'm betting on Icom.

Anybody wanna take Radio Mart / Martyn?  Hi!  Hi!

N9LCD
WA1KBQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »

Maybe the OP is a paid shill
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 06:07:13 AM »

...Anybody wanna take Radio Mart / Martyn? ...  

Do you mean the way he's 'taken' all too many other hams?    Grin  No, of course you don't.  

Seriously though, if he's nailed by Icom America, I don't doubt that he'll probably just weasel his way out of it as he's done all too many times in the past, and if not, he'll go crying all over about how a big corporation is hammering at the 'little guy' who is just trying to make a living.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 06:11:59 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 01:50:59 PM »

Wouldn't it be fun to be on site when the feds raid Radio Marts place and confiscate all of his counterfit junk??
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 06:43:31 AM »

From what's been heard about the guy, he'll probably weasel his way out of it, lay low for a time, and be right back doing what he's been doing right along.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: