Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CMOS 4 Keyer from Idiom Press  (Read 2793 times)
NS8Q

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2012, 01:40:19 PM »

My new CMOS 4 keyer arrived today!  How many readers of this particular forum use this keyer?  How does everyone use it when they operate?  I'm looking for tips and tricks for using it during a contest, dxing, or casual operating.  I do have the manual in hand, and know how to program it, but I'm curious if you would do something different.

Tnx es 73
N3JJT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »

Hello Chris!  I have the K5 on one rig, and a CMOS 4 on another.  I am not a big contester.  I did use the CMOS 4 for FD this year.  I had my call in one slot, my exchange in another,, the section in one, and state in one.  I could repeat anything asked.  Now that FD is over, I have one with CQ, one with a 73 statement, one with CQ FISTS.  I think one is just my call.  If you work DX, you put ur call in one, and a quick 599 TU in another.  I like both keyers quite well, and work very nice.  I prefer an external keyer to a built in keyer.  Just my preference.  I run my keyer on batteries also.  Have fun!

73..de N3JJT
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:43:15 PM »

I had a CMOS 4 for several years but sold it as I just didn't use it very much. It was a very good keyer though, I liked it and would buy another one if needed.
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 01:27:18 PM »

Assembled my own CMOS-4 a number of years ago to use with my kit-built QRP rigs---works great, easy on the batteries, and it's wise to keep the manual handy---in the event changes in settings are needed after you haven't used it for a while.
73---Ernie VE3GNU
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:46:55 PM »

After many years with a homebrew Intelli-keyer I decided it was time to upgrade.  Bought the CMOS 4 and never looked back.  I installed a switch on it so I can use it for different keying methods use by some of my gear.  The features allow you to set it up to emulate any previous keyer you might have been using or try something different.

I really like it..... but, keep the manual handy!  I keep a cheat sheet pinned to a conspicuous place so I can do what I need to do.  Can no longer remember.

WD5ABC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 07:34:07 PM »

Mine's even older, the CMOS Super Keyer II, I built it from the Idiom Press kit back in the early 90s and am still using it.  It has survived every FD since then and I use it the same way the guys have already mentioned, program in the call on one memory, exchange in another, then use the last 2 for a partial exchange or maybe a TU or something if I'm not in any big hurry.  I've never used the auto serial number other than to play with it and see how it works.  It's a great keyer!  I'm using it with my Flex 3000 now, I use the sidetone in the keyer instead of in the Flex to get rid of any delay between the paddles and the sidetone.

Kerry, WD5ABC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: