Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 718 vs Alinco DX-SR8T  (Read 12011 times)
K1WJ

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:40:11 PM »

Which is a better Rig?

Seems like the Alinco DX SR8T at $529 vs the Icom 718 at $739 would be the better deal.

What does the Icom give you for $200+ more?

73 K1WJ
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:57:43 PM »

From what I can read there is no DSP in the Alinco.

I owned an Icom 718 and it was a pretty good radio for the price. Simple and easy to operate, never had an issue with mine and I owned it for close to 4 years.

I would suggest you go read the reviews here on eHam on both rigs and see what others have to say about both rigs.
WA2TPU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »

The Alinco can be purchased at Cheap Ham in NJ for $512.95- its the lowest price I've seen advertised . From what I've been able to tell from the reviews here on eHam both are real entry level rigs with pluses and minuses each. I don't think you could go wrong with either of these rigs for their prices. I've owned a couple of the Icom 718's and passed them onto family members when I up graded my station.
Best regards and many 73's.
Don sr.- WA2TPU.
VK2DMH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 12:29:22 AM »

Firstly, let me state that I have never owned nor used either the Icom IC-718 or the Alinco DX-SR8T. However, I do believe from what I have read that the Alinco has no easy way to set up digital modes, such as PSK-31.

I am pretty sure that the IC-718 would have some data plug at the back, just like my IC-703 and my IC-7400 radios both have. If so the whole digital setup becomes plug and play when you use something like a USB Signalink sound card interface to a handy laptop, notebook or netbook computer. There is plenty of free software around as well, such as FLDIGI and MULTIPSK.

Personally, I enjoy using low power and PSK, but if you never plan on using digital, then you won't need the pricier rig, will you?

73 de David, vk2dmh
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 05:48:52 AM »

The icom has an "optional" audio DSP board. It also has the standard Icom ACC connector on the back that will give audio in/out and PTT connections for use with a digital interface (PSK31, etc). Note that the Alinco has a connector on the rear labeled "ACC" but that is only an interface for the Alinco remote tuner (similar to the tuner connector on the Icom).

My take is that the Alinco gives you more for your money but overall, the Icom gives you more (featues and probably overall quality). I don't think you'll go wrong with either.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 08:18:00 AM »

If you're an ARRL member you might want to read the QST reviews for both radios. IIRC the Alinco had some serious shortcomings.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 01:34:45 PM »

Icom vs. Alinco, if everything were absolutely identical: Icom provides overall higher build quality and operating longetivity.

Lots of Icoms around from 1980, still on the air and working.  Check around to see if you can find an Alinco from that era that still works.  I suspect you won't.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 06:16:04 AM »

I have an DX-SR8T that is installed as a mobile rig.  Using it with a Lil Tarheel II, I have gotten consistently good signal reports.  However, I found my self missing the DSP of my other rigs so I purchased a GAP HearIt amplified speaker with AF DSP to use with it.  Definitely an improvement!  The Alinco is easy to operate, with many functions directly accessible from the front panel and not buried in a labyrinth of menu items.
N0SOY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 09:31:47 PM »

This may be a dumb question is Icom still making the 718?  I thought they were going to drop it in favor a new improved entry level unit for $300.  more.  The 718 is a nice basic rig for those who like basic rigs. 
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 05:06:43 AM »

Have you possibly considered looking at that very next step up in radios from Icom and Yaesu?  If you can swing it, I think you'll be much happier with what those rigs have to offer, and they're a giant leap upward in capabilities and sophistication, than what you'll get in a 718 or the Alinco. 
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 08:13:52 AM »

The Alinco comes standard with a CW filter while the Icom does not.
N4NZM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »

Don't know about the Alinco, but my 718 is great for digital with a Signalink interface. They all come with DSP now. I am a casual ham user, and the 718 is perfect for my needs. Very easy to use as well.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 09:14:39 AM »

I am pretty sure that the IC-718 would have some data plug at the back,... If so the whole digital setup becomes plug and play.

David, you're right that a data plug on the back makes it easier ... but I feel I should point out that one is really not *necessary*.   When I first started playing with PSK, around 1998 or so, I just unplugged the microphone on my FT-840 to operate PSK, and plugged it back in to work phone.  And not long after that I put together a simple switchbox so shifting from PSK to phone was just a matter of flipping the switch.   A data port makes it easier ... but the lack of one wouldn't put me completely OFF a rig, either.   TNX 73!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: