Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: setting up new station, ideas please  (Read 2867 times)
N3NXV

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:05:40 PM »

Apologizes for rambling and asking newbie questions, when I should already know.

Hi all, I've been out of hobby for a bit (family and career), need your opinions on setting back up.

Background: I always tried to keep a 2m/440 handheld viable, but alas the alinco dj-580 died.  I really liked the durability (after repairing the bnc connecter defect), simplicity, and easy to read backlighting.  Also dead, is my kenwood tm-261a.  Loved the large backlight mic and the big screen, but it wasn't dual band.

What would you recommend to someone effectively starting over? 

Also, I'd like to be able to have everything pop into a "go" case for portable/emergency use, including a packet station. (assuming packet still exists).

KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:59:42 PM »

Welcome to Eham Smiley

Do you have a particular budget in mind? A couple club members here have Yaesu FT-60Rs, and they seem like they're worth the $160 easily.

I can't speak for your area, but in this area, packet has mostly transitioned to APRS.

N3NXV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  Under $500 for everything would be best, but I can stretch the budget a bit.  Are there any triband HT's that would fit as well?
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »

Yaesu and Kenwood both offer HTs that include 220MHz as the 3rd band. Yaesu also has HTs that offer 6m as the 3rd, but having owned a VX-5R in the past that had it, I didn't get a lot of use from it. Six just isn't that great of an HT band unless you have a very good line-of-sight to the repeaters, the antennas are too short to be very efficient.

$500 can get you a lot. Smiley
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 09:18:33 PM »

N3NXV -
since you've been out of the hobby a while -
1 if you have a club in the area, go to a meeting and see what people are using, and recommend.
2 - if you have a local ham store, make a visit - don't buy on first visit, but see what intrigues you
and then read the reviews in QST, and talk to the folks locally, and then go back to the store.
3 - get a copy of QST (or get some recent back copies at a club meeting, or the library) and read the
ads - see what's available now - you will be amazed!
Also - there may be some hams at the club that will lend you one of their older HT's, so you can get
on the local repeaters and get a feel for what's happening.

Welcome back, and good luck!

Fred, KQ6Q
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: