Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Censorship on eham  (Read 19835 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2012, 01:02:08 PM »

I have noticed a new direction in censorship on eham the last few months. I do not like it.  Since I follow no one and frequently have different opinions than the majority my posts have been moderated (deleted) regularly lately. I never get an explanation from the moderators.

I do not lie, call names or swear on eham. Frequently I get sworn at and I get called names all the time.

My paid eham subscription is up in a couple of weeks. Because of this frequent moderation I will no longer support eham with $$$. Also my posting on eham will probably stop. Controversy or opinions differing from the moderators view are apparently no longer welcome on eham.

Stan K9IUQ
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »

Are you talking about the forums, Stan?  I also thought that I was being censored in some instances, but it turns out that there are all too many people who post the same question/inquiry on more than one forum.  One person had the same post on seven or more different forums once!  73!
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 08:25:15 AM »

Are you talking about the forums, Stan?  

Yes. There are NO posted rules for conduct in the forums. I and other hams have had posts deleted many times. Even though I try to keep my posts on a civil level I get moderated (deleted posts).

It has gotten much worse in the last several months. IMO eham has always being noted and respected for lively and interesting conversations in the Forums. This is fast changing.

eham has little to offer other than the Forums. The reviews are just about worthless and the Classifieds are handicapped by non paying $ubscriber$ being unable to see ads until after 24 hours. This severely handicaps eham sellers, which is why QTH.com is the place to go to sell stuff. In the last several years I have sold 7-8 thousand dollars of ham equipment. I have always advertised on QTH.com, QRZ.com and eham. The ads were all started at the same time. Almost all my stuff has been sold thru QTH.com. I do not recall ever selling anything thru eham.

So- the ads suck, the reviews are near worthless and the Forums no longer tolerate lively discussions. What is left? The Strays?..  Grin

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:30:32 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:15:49 AM »

I and other hams have had posts deleted many times. ...
It has gotten much worse in the last several months. ...

I haven't noticed it happening, not one little bit, not even a teeny tiny itty bit. I'm noticing the regular variety of interesting and sometimes useful chat on the forums.  And I'm not seeing any of the bitter sniping and personal/political insults I see when I look at another big ham discussion website.  Say, do you think there's a problem somewhere?
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:28:01 AM »

I and other hams have had posts deleted many times. ...
It has gotten much worse in the last several months. ...

I haven't noticed it happening, not one little bit, not even a teeny tiny itty bit. I'm noticing the regular variety of interesting and sometimes useful chat on the forums.  And I'm not seeing any of the bitter sniping and personal/political insults I see when I look at another big ham discussion website.  Say, do you think there's a problem somewhere?

Oh yeah it has. I belong to a bunch of forums, including baseball forums. This is by far the most censored forum. I do not have a problem with them censoring bad behavior, cursing, and so forth. But they have actually censored posts that included information they didn't seem to think was helpful or relevant. In one case, they actually censored a post that contained some sarcasm. It was clear that the poster was joking and the only ones that couldn't tell was eham.

Listen, if they want to be upstanding and perfect in maintaining this forum because it is a "Ham Radio" forum, they need to go listen to those kooks on 75/80, which is a band that I never go on because of those useless people. This forum is tame compared to them.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »

...you're just pissed because no one here refers to you as Mister Bagadonuts .

Grin

Never change a password on a Friday                
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 12:07:17 PM »

Personally, I think eHam is well moderated. Sometimes people think freedom of expression gives them licence to be downright offensive. I have noticed this on other forums and have felt powerless to do anything about it. I think eHam offers a refreshing change.

Fred EI4GMB

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 02:51:48 PM »

Personally, I think eHam is well moderated.

Moderated=Censorship
Well Moderated=Well Censored

Forum Moderation is a nice word for censorship, kinda like the nice word "ethnic cleansing" really means killing.  Wink

Personally I have no problem with moderation on a forum if it is equally applied to all and the Moderation Rules are posted prominently for all to Read.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:04:04 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »

Moderated=Censorship
Well Moderated=Well Censored

Moderate : Kept or keeping within reasonable or proper limits; not extreme, excessive, or intense.

Fred EI4GMB

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
WA7RBC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 04:00:53 PM »

I couldn't agree more with Fred!    Cheesy
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 04:09:11 AM »

I couldn't agree more with Fred!    Cheesy

Same here!  I've never noticed any "censorship," myself.  But if it exists, and it's why this place is free of the ugly political and personal arguing that has made another big discussion site so ugly, then I'm all FOR it.   Let's treat each other with basic courtesy and respect, and try not to start pointless arguments or insult each other.  I've been using online discussion groups since 1990, long before the web, and I've never seen anything GOOD come of insults or pointless bickering.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 06:20:19 AM »

...Let's treat each other with basic courtesy and respect, and try not to start pointless arguments or insult each other...

...I've never seen anything GOOD come of insults or pointless bickering.

Bravo!  The almost perfect solution.  Too bad not too many people here will heed it.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »

My paid eham subscription is up in a couple of weeks. Because of this frequent moderation I will no longer support eham with $$$.

Somehow in a couple weeks I believe my attitude will change about eham moderation. Since I will no longer support eham with $$ I doubt I will really care about being moderated. After all, I will not be paying $$ to get censored.  Cheesy Cheesy

I doubt the majority of hams here support eham with subscription $$. Maybe that is why the new censorship bothers so few...

Stan K9IUQ
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 03:23:06 PM »

My paid eham subscription is up in a couple of weeks. Because of this frequent moderation I will no longer support eham with $$$.

Somehow in a couple weeks I believe my attitude will change about eham moderation. Since I will no longer support eham with $$ I doubt I will really care about being moderated. After all, I will not be paying $$ to get censored.  Cheesy Cheesy

I doubt the majority of hams here support eham with subscription $$. Maybe that is why the new censorship bothers so few...

Stan K9IUQ

That didn't last long.
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 04:21:04 PM »

Hi Stan,

I'm glad to support eHam with my subscription. I happen to think it is a well run site and the moderators do there best to keep things civilized. I have never had cause to complain here. I could tell you about another site were I have come across all manner of offensive things. But let's not go there. Suffice to say I don't subscribe to that. At the end of the day if you are not happy then you are entitled to complain and take your $$$ elsewhere.

Best of luck

Fred EI4GMB

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: